VS1 with indented natural inclusions

CharJo

I read in the articles that the amount, location, and size of indented natural inclusions may affect the durability and brilliance. I’m trying to decide on a stone that’s D, VS1, triple Ex, but with 4 indented natural and various other inclusions. Sales confirmed that it is eye-clean. See below for an excerpt of the GIA report. Do the inclusions here impact the durability and pricing of this stone?49F0998C-F7C4-4A1F-9010-F47DF000096E.jpeg.6cacd05e9632fa8027fd91b20463040d.jpeg

If the graders at GIA thought that the characteristics (internal or external) impact a stone's integrity or durability, they would have graded that stone I(1, 2, or 3), not VS(1 or 2). Bear in mind that the characteristics plot is not to scale - it's a guide to locate the characteristics and thus confirm identification of the stone, so I would not expect (say) the largest of the 4 indented naturals to be a big gouge (as in the plot), but I would expect it to be on the pavilion side, quite long, "parallel" to the girdle and almost the width of a lower girdle facet, not going across any of the pavilion mains, and diametrically opposite to two others.

No, I would not think price is impacted by those; the slight excess in depth is more likely to do that!

BTW: I'm not sure where you have read that about indented naturals; unless they are extremely large relative to the overall size of the stone (i.e. not 'VS'!), I would tend to disagree. If they are very large... then that is true of pretty much any characteristic with that size, not just of a natural.

This is really really helpful! Thank you so much!!

On 9/5/2021 at 7:27 AM, davidelevi said:

If the graders at GIA thought that the characteristics (internal or external) impact a stone's integrity or durability, they would have graded that stone I(1, 2, or 3), not VS(1 or 2). Bear in mind that the characteristics plot is not to scale - it's a guide to locate the characteristics and thus confirm identification of the stone, so I would not expect (say) the largest of the 4 indented naturals to be a big gouge (as in the plot), but I would expect it to be on the pavilion side, quite long, "parallel" to the girdle and almost the width of a lower girdle facet, not going across any of the pavilion mains, and diametrically opposite to two others.

No, I would not think price is impacted by those; the slight excess in depth is more likely to do that!

BTW: I'm not sure where you have read that about indented naturals; unless they are extremely large relative to the overall size of the stone (i.e. not 'VS'!), I would tend to disagree. If they are very large... then that is true of pretty much any characteristic with that size, not just of a natural.