Jewelry set

Hugo F

Hi,

I received a jewelry set made of necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and rings. The set is made of Brazilian aquamarine, small diamonds (i would say about 0.5ct), gold, and pearls. Its value is approx 35,000 euros. I would like to monetize it somehow what would be the best way about it. There are two solutions that I have been evaluating:

- Sell it as a whole. However, I do not know what is the best place to sell this. Also, I am not sure how to appraise the value of jewelry besides the gems itself.

- Take it apart. I found a gems dealer and he would like to take it apart and sell it piece by piece. The deal would be that he would take it apart and then sell it to buyers. However, I am a bit worried that the gems might get damaged in the process. Also, the gems dealer asks 20% fee for taking it apart and then selling.

Could anyone advise on the best solution?

Thanks

Best regards,

Hugo

Edited by Hugo F

Hi Hugo, welcome to Diamond Review!

Not knowing anything other than the very limited description of the pieces you posted above, it is very difficult to advise specifically 'what would be best' in your case. Some general points to bear in mind:

1. Mounted jewellery is usually worth more than its constituents parts - but it may be more difficult to (re)sell.

2. Sets may be more difficult to (re)sell than single objects (in fact, sets can be so difficult to sell that quite often they end up going for less than the sum of what their pieces do separately).

3. Beware of conclusions in valuations and appraisals made for purposes that are not 'resale'. And beware of any appraisal done by someone who is not an expert, independent appraiser.

4. There is a lot of "fashion" in jewellery; in the 1960s and 1970s, Art Deco jewellery from the 1920s and 1930s was not considered particularly valuable - it was just old fashioned. It is very valuable now... which is another reason to be wary of valuations and appraisals, unless made very recently.

5. Gemmological properties are important, and apparently small, "invisible" details can make for a lot of difference in value (e.g. geographic origin of stones; type and extent of treatment; colour/clarity/weight/cut proportions).

6. Non-gemmological properties can also be important: marks for metal purity and design 'ownership', provenance... can mean nothing, or can multiply a value of a piece by many times - even several orders of magnitude.

I'd be wary of advice coming from a gem dealer who has a vested interest in... gem dealing. This said, it might well be that breaking up the set, selling the metal for scrap and selling the individual stones through a gem dealer is the best way of realising their value. Without a lot more information, no-one can say.

If I were you, I would first of all locate a competent, independent appraiser (i.e. someone who does appraisals for a living; not a jeweller or gem dealer), and understand what you have more precisely and its likely value as a whole, as separate mounted pieces and as scrap.

The appraiser can also provide advice on what - considering the markets you have access to, and your objectives re: amount you want to realise and timing of sale - may be the best way of selling the items: auction vs. private sale vs. sale to a dealer (and if so, which type of dealer) vs. consignment.

Final point re: taking the pieces apart. Depending on what the stones are and how they have been set, 'unmounting' damage can go from practically unavoidable to extremely unlikely; again, one of the things to ask an expert who has sight of the pieces.

Edited by davidelevi

Bear in mind that jewelry is, at it’s heart, a fashion product. 35,000 Euros is, for most people, quite a lot of money. They have to really like the piece(s) before they’ll do that.  That’s why the resale advice to private sellers is so often to take it apart. They have to want exactly that set, in exactly that configuration, before they’ll buy.  Loose gem buyers are much more flexible, although they’re not easy either. They are imagining making something that is THEIR design and that’s special just for them.  That’s a lot easier to find. They have options. I second Davide's advice of seeking out the advice of a pro before you take it apart but it's not a crazy suggestion. 

You dropped several important data points in your description. Metal type, stone identification, origin, and, of course, price. Where did you get those and what are they based on?

If you're worried about the dealer damaging the parts, find a better dealer goldsmith. It depends on how it's assembled but usually, it's not that difficult to disassemble things safely. At least around here (the US), 20% is on the cheap side for consignment resale, not even including the labor to take it apart. I dare say most dealers would be in for closer to half.  

Edited by denverappraiser

Dear David and denverappraiser,

Thank you both so much for your suggestions.

@davidelevi to your points.

2. I can imagine bigger ticket items such as sets might be more difficult to sell. However, is there kind of marketplase online or offline where it people are selling such things? Ideally in Europe.

3. I absolutely agree. Thats the reason why I am looking for a second opinion. You guys over here are awesome :)

4. Unfortunately, I do not have detailed information about its origins. It was supposed to be tailor made in the ‘90s. The jeweler i gave it to for a assessment said the aquamarine is most likely from brasil but thats about it.

Could you please advise me on how and where i can find an independent appraiser and gems dealers for that matter? Ideally in eastern or central europe.

@denverappraiser the information i dropped were from a local jeweler whom i (partly) trust. He also mentioned it is very high quality work, its condition is very very good and the gems are well attached so it might be difficult to take them off.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,

Hugo