Decide between 2 fancy yellow diamonds

Mike5572

Hello everyone, 

I need your help to understand which is a better quality fancy diamond and deal between the 2 below.

1) 1.23ct size 6.58x6.33x3.56 VVS1 fancy yellow, modified cushion cut, HRD certificate n. 180000160468

2) 1.26ct size 6.33x5.56x3.84 IF light fancy yellow, cushion cut, GIA certificate n. 6351771402

Price difference is about 10% more for n.1.

Which one on paper sound like the better diamond?

I'm in doubt of HRD grading too vs GIA.

Thank you for your help!

This is not the answer you are looking for but I don't think it is possible to decide either way based on the report numbers.  If you are buying a fancy yellow stone, then it is all about the color and neither report shows the actual color of the stones.  Would it be possible for you to ask for pictures of the stones?  and if they are from the same vendor, could you get picture of them side by side? 

Unfortunately the stones are at 2 different retailers and the illuminating lights differ and as such one diamond has warm lights the other cold lights. In real life the colors are almost identical with the 1.23ct stone (warm color light) very slightly darker yellow.

Screenshot_20210729-125049_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210729-124953_Gallery.jpg

Totally agree with Laurent - the "money" is in the colour, and to a lesser extent in the cut.

Speaking of which - is it by chance that you are picking stones with a very high clarity? Or because you value the symbolism? If it is out of concern that "VS inclusions are going to be visible to the naked eye", that is (almost never) the case. Most SI1 are totally eye-clean.

Since you have seen both stones, which one appeals to you most? Can you go back and take a look (if not a photo) in natural light? Near a store window, or - if the vendor allows you, and preferably leaving them with some security: a credit card, some ID, or a friend 'in hostage' - just outside the store?

Hi davidlevi,

It was a chance that I found these 2 stones. I have been offered SI1 stones, but they were not as sparkly and it was visible to a naked eye... I understand they are quite similar and it's really up to preference at this point, but wanted to get an expert opinion as to which one could be considered more valuable, as im not an expert in reading certificates, besides the 4c's.

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I found out at the time if delivery of the ring that that the hrd diamond i had picked has also a gia number which the seller did not mention (or was not aware) at the time of sale.

According to Gia its a vvs2, y to z color. While for hrd it's a vvs1 fancy yellow.

The seller once I saw the second inscription of gia offered a 15% discount.

Why would the same diamond gone through 2 certifications? I feel something is fishy.

HRD180000160468

Gia 2183453372

Edited by Mike5572

Nothing fishy - but a "fancy yellow" is more marketable than a Y-Z. It's quite normal for diamonds to be graded by more than one lab, and for the vendor to market the stone with the credentials that they think are most attractive for their customer base.