Feedback on AGI Ring Please

Shawn6

I need to make a quick decision on this ring. The report it comes with is from the Accredited Gemological Institute (AGI). Attached is the report. I doubt this lab grades on point, but I’ve gotten the seller down to $8,000. Should I take a gamble with it? She said her jeweler verified the report but said it’s between an Si2 and I1. My biggest concern is how do I know if it’s been clarity enhanced drilled? Thank you!!!

316BA561-E8B3-4AB1-84DF-A137780008A3.png

Let me get this straight: you are in a hurry to close a deal on an expensive item that you are not an expert in, based on information that the seller says is unreliable? (Her "other expert" thinks it's a borderline I1, which probably means it is...). What about the split colour grade, the approximate weight etc.

You are concerned that it may be treated. I am concerned whether it is even a natural diamond. There is nothing in that "appraisal" that reassures me that it is.

Leave well alone, unless the seller agrees that you can (together) take the ring to an independent appraiser of your sole and exclusive choice (meaning not someone recommended by her, someone who does not sell jewellery - to avoid conflicts of interest, and someone who you pay for - to avoid the other conflict of interest). If the seller agrees and if your expert tells you something that you like in terms of colour, clarity, weight, cut, treatment, and possibly even value, THEN you buy.

A dollar to a button, you'll get stopped in your tracks the minute you ask to take it to an appraiser without her vetting the expert. This may be explained as "how do I know that you and your so-called 'appraiser' pal aren't just going to switch my wonderful ring with tin and CZ?" to which the answer is: the vendor goes to the appraiser with the ring, the appraiser inspects it with the vendor there, and returns it to the vendor after inspection. After the inspection is finished, the vendor leaves, and the appraiser and the buyer have their chat. Reasonable, no? Yet more likely to cause a volcanic eruption than most other things.

Edited by davidelevi

If you really want to go ahead, make sure that:

1) You get this in writing:

• Return against a 100% refund for any or even no reason, minus possibly reasonable shipping costs and unrefundable credit card charges;
  • Cost amounts to be agreed in advance;
  • Return shipping to be organised by vendor, even if you carry the cost (arranging shipping insurance on gems is complicated for consumers; they will have it as a professional);
  • Return period at least 1 week [receipt to ship-out], ideally more

2) Get this to go through a credit card, or two. Don't under any circumstances pay by bank transfer.

3) Line up a decent independent appraiser local(ish) to you now, so you can comply with whatever deadlines you agree. Make sure that the appraiser understands your question (i.e. this is not an appraisal for replacement/insurance purposes; this is a commercial valuation).

On 7/16/2021 at 6:36 AM, Shawn6 said:

Thank you for your response. 
I would be buying it online but can return the ring if my appraisal doesn’t match what the report says. 

You should be able to return the ring within a reasonable amount of time for ANY reason. I agree with Davide that this story is full of red flags but among them is that the seller should get NO vote in the appraisal process.  Not who the appraiser is. Not their qualifications. Not what they say. Nothing. They're not even entitled to a copy of the report and there's very little reason to volunteer it. The only exception here is the schedule. If you're going to keep it, or not, based on consultation with a 3rd party, get on with it.  Read and understand the terms and conditions page on the seller's website before you click that 'buy it now' button. Often they don't say what you think they say.  

Edited by denverappraiser

As a general rule, if you have a seller that supplies you with an 'appraisal' that you find to be lacking or otherwise inaccurate, don't just hold it against the appraiser, hold it against the seller. 

Edited by denverappraiser