Advice on cushion cut diamond 1.70ct. GIA/VS2/G

mk18

Hello!

I'm a noob looking for a diamond. I've been cramming diamond info for past 2 days. I have very basic knowledge of purchasing diamonds now but with my untrained eyes I can't tell what is a decent stone or not.

Per jeweler it's ideal cut. I'm not sure it's possible just by looking at a picture and GIA report not but I just need something with a lot of sparkle and fire.

I know that most places have 30 day return policy but I don't wanna go through hassle of returning it so I'm trying to get it right the first time.

I'd appreciate it if resident experts can guide me to right direction.

I'm attaching a picture, GIA report . I also have 360 viewer of the stone but can't seem to upload.

Last 3 pics could be a little fuzzy because I used image capture from 360 viewer.

I can email 360 viewer if necessary.

Thank you

diamond.jpg

gia.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 5.36.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 5.36.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 5.36.55 PM.png

Edited by mk18
more pictures

2 hours ago, mk18 said:

Per jeweler it's ideal cut. I'm not sure it's possible just by looking at a picture and GIA report not but I just need something with a lot of sparkle and fire.

Well... you are totally right. Just by looking at a picture and a GIA report you can't tell. It seems reasonably well cut based on  the contrast pattern face up, and it seems to have a decent crown height; in other words, no red flags, but it doesn't mean it's something you are going to like either...

Can you see it "in person", or is the jeweller you are dealing with an internet only/remote operation? If the latter, can they produce a video where they compare this to another stone or two, under the same lights at the same time?

1 hour ago, davidelevi said:

Well... you are totally right. Just by looking at a picture and a GIA report you can't tell. It seems reasonably well cut based on  the contrast pattern face up, and it seems to have a decent crown height; in other words, no red flags, but it doesn't mean it's something you are going to like either...

Can you see it "in person", or is the jeweller you are dealing with an internet only/remote operation? If the latter, can they produce a video where they compare this to another stone or two, under the same lights at the same time?

Thanks for the reply David.

I took your advice and asked the jeweler for comparison video. I don't know why I never thought to ask. lol

With similar cuts and grades of diamonds, Aren't sparks and fire going to be pretty close to each other? Will one diamond make so much more sparks and fire compare to the other?

18 hours ago, mk18 said:

With similar cuts and grades of diamonds, Aren't sparks and fire going to be pretty close to each other?

Well... the problem is that - other than the images/video - we know very little about how that stone (or indeed any other cushion) is cut. The GIA report for a non-round brilliant diamond specifies the shape, in some cases the faceting scheme, but very little else that tells us about cut quality.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, davidelevi said:

Well... the problem is that - other than the images/video - we know very little about how that stone (or indeed any other cushion) is cut. The GIA report for a non-round brilliant diamond specifies the shape, in some cases the faceting scheme, but very little else that tells us about cut quality.

right...I understand and I'm sure every dealers non-round cut standards are all different.

Since I can't see the diamond in person, I  guess I'll just have to take a chance and hope for the best.

Do you think the diamond I posted look a little cloudy? Maybe it's just the picture quality but seems like it's more cloudy than other diamond pictures I've been looking at.

Do you think I will be able to see that black inclusion on top of diamond with naked eye?

Thanks you very much for taking your time to answer noob questions...lol

Edited by mk18

24 minutes ago, mk18 said:

every dealers non-round cut standards are all different.

Nope. Every stone's. Or almost. 😈

Cloudiness - no, I wouldn't say so. Most of the photos have very little depth-of-field, and I think what you interpret as cloudiness is actually out-of-focus.

Visibility of inclusion - it will depend on a lot of things: distance and angle of observation, lighting, your visual acuity, whether you know what you are looking for because you have obsessed about it with a loupe, the setting, how clean is the stone... In normal circumstances (ring worn on a moving hand, observed fairly casually from the top in typical indoor lighting at 25-30 cm/10-12 in distance), I'd be betting that no-one will see it.