Looking for opinions on this oval I recently bought

Diamond14

Hi everyone,

I recently bought this oval diamond before realizing it had a depth which is less than great (I think). The website I bought it from said it had an ideal/super ideal cut but I have since learned here is no such thing for fancy cuts.

I bought the stone because it appears to have minimal bowtie, although I am now not so sure on that either :/ Unfortunately I found this awesome forum after buying it. I can return it where I bought it without too much hassle but it won't be in my hands for a few weeks.

I am hoping to get some opinions from people far more knowledgeable than myself on if this looks to be a good stone or not and if it appears to have a strong bowtie or not. I notice now at some angles in the video the stone is dark, but I am not sure if that is the camera reflection maybe or if that is the reflection of the pavilion or what it is... I really appreciate it! I just am worried I may have made a mistake buying this one.... Thanks so much in advanced for your help. :)

Here is the 360 video: https://loupe360.com/diamond/2215564085/video/500/500

Here is the GIA report: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2215564085

Measurements
8.04 x 5.88 x 3.24 mm
Carat Weight
1.01 carat
Color Grade
E
Clarity Grade
IF

PROPORTIONS

Depth
55.1%
Table
60%
Girdle
Medium to Thick, Faceted
Culet
None

Thank you all for any insights you can provide. 

Well... as you say, there is no GIA cut grade on ovals, and I very much doubt AGS (who provide a cut grade for some fancy shapes) would grade this one as 'Ideal' - never mind super.

On the other hand, as sometimes happens with fairly shallow stones cut by skilled cutters, it seems to have no bow tie. The price to pay (in my view) is very little contrast: the stone is bright, but not very sparkly (a flat mirror is also very bright, but not sparkly). It also faces up rather large for its weight.

The key questions are whether you like it, and if you don't whether you can return it without penalties.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you very much for your input. I think the only penalty is I would have to pay return shipping (so maybe like $30-$50 I would guess.) I suppose I’ll wait for it to come in and see if it is sparkly enough for me and how I like it overall. I appreciate your help in better understanding the trade offs this stone may have. . 😊

Edited by Diamond14

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a good purchase and you chose well. I sold such an antique thing and took a lot of money. I went to the pawnshop in the Beverly Hills and Los Angeles Area from https://pawnbrokersrodeodrive.com/ and at first, I pawned for a year. After I took out my money and solved the problems I was in then, I decided I could sell this antique and took a lot of money out of it because this company brought me an expert who valued the maximum amount for this item. By the way, it was left as an inheritance from my parents. I didn't even know it cost so much.

Edited by Maplepsan
  • Like 1

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your input. I got the diamond and I am absolutely in love with it! I am very picky about things like this so I am thrilled with this outcome. It is very sparkly with lots of fire and brilliance (to my untrained eye at least) and has very minimal (if any) bowtie even in the sun. Some sparkles it puts off in the sun are blinding haha. It really meets just about every wish I had for a diamond. I cannot wait to get it set now. I am thinking a platinum solitaire ring with 4 prongs (diamond will be insured before taking it to the jeweler). I cannot decide between claw or rounded prongs yet though. 😁  I was able to see the GIA number in the loupe which was neat as well. I want to try to have it set so I can still see the GIA number afterwards. Is that usually possible to do?

If anyone has any advice on how to find a good local jeweler and what I should look out for, or if you recommend any in Utah that would be very much appreciated. I would rather not ship if it is not necessary.

Thank you all again for the help!

Really glad you found something you like! Congratulations!

2 minutes ago, Diamond14 said:

I want to try to have it set so I can still see the GIA number afterwards. Is that usually possible to do?

On a round, pretty much always. On an oval it depends on the shape of the setting and where GIA has placed the inscription, but very likely yes.

I can't recommend anyone in Utah, but the one piece of advice I would give you is to ignore CAD renderings and fancy websites. and focus instead on seeing the actual work that people have done - preferably by seeing and handling the pieces in person, but good quality photos are a good start if "live" inspection is impractical. Look at how careful the finish on a piece is - how much attention has been paid to hard-to-see areas, and how much attention has been paid to design: making a piece that is beautiful, robust and light to wear. Find someone that gets these two things right, and you are in a good place.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davidelevi said:

Really glad you found something you like! Congratulations!

On a round, pretty much always. On an oval it depends on the shape of the setting and where GIA has placed the inscription, but very likely yes.

I can't recommend anyone in Utah, but the one piece of advice I would give you is to ignore CAD renderings and fancy websites. and focus instead on seeing the actual work that people have done - preferably by seeing and handling the pieces in person, but good quality photos are a good start if "live" inspection is impractical. Look at how careful the finish on a piece is - how much attention has been paid to hard-to-see areas, and how much attention has been paid to design: making a piece that is beautiful, robust and light to wear. Find someone that gets these two things right, and you are in a good place.

Thank you so much for your advice. That is really helpful and I will definitely do as you suggest. I really appreciate your insights 😊