Will these carbon spots affect the sparkle and brilliance?

RookieRock

Hello all!

I am new to posting! Every year, I purchase my wife a small diamond to put in a diamond tennis bracelet. After 30 years, she will be surprised with a competed tennis bracelet, made out of diamonds from each year of our marriage.

Ok, enough of the back story. On to the actual question. 

The specs for the diamonds are that they need to be D color, and either .33 or .34 carat. I believe I found the right one for this year. It's a .34 D SI2, with great cut proportions (Table: 56%, Depth: 61.6%, Crown: 35.0, Pavilion: 40.6).  However, since it is an SI2, it has many tiny black carbon spots. 

I have two questions that I would love to have anyone's input/advice:

1) With the diamond being so small (0.34 carat) do you think people will notice these tiny carbon spots? Especially with it being on a diamond tennis bracelet?

2) Will the numerous black spots hinder light from reflecting, causing the diamond to not sparkle and have less fire?

Here is a link to the diamond! https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.34-carat-d-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-11080646

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hi! Welcome to DiamondReview!

Let me start by saying "what a lovely idea". I hope you see it through, and have enough happy time in your marriage to get her another bracelet (she has two wrists, I assume 😉).

Your questions are a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' issues... so take any advice with a pinch of salt and a good return policy (which JA have).

1) No, I don't think they will, unless they take the bracelet and examine it closely (which may be cause for other concern than 'they will see a couple of dark spots'). At that point, it may be pretty obvious - or it might still not be. I have an SI1 diamond where the single dark crystal inclusion is quite easily visible without a loupe - but only from a very specific angle. Here there are many, but they are small.

2) Almost certainly not - however it would be good to know that there are no further diffuse inclusions (clouds) - ask JA for a copy of the lab report or at least its number so you can check it on GIA's website. 

Thank you for your great advice! The first year I started purchasing these, I could get a D VS1 for cheaper than I'm about to pay for a D SI2. Oh how the market has changed!

The GIA report says there is a twinning wisp. Ironically, the other diamond I was debating on whether I should get was a D SI1 with clouds. A few people were telling me to get that one, but to my eye, it seemed... off. I don't know if it was hazy, greyish, or just not as white, but it didn't seem to be as bright as this one. I'll link it so you, or anyone else, can look and tell me if I'm being crazy or if I'm correct for passing on that one. 

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.33-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-9935418

The SI1 seems to have some issues... or at least its video does!

I am starting to hate JA because they now withhold GIA report numbers but don't publish all the info on the report, so it's impossible to map if e.g. the small cloud (?) right under the table is 'the' grading inclusion or whether the grade is due to 'clouds not shown', which can indicate a risk of overall cloudiness, whether there is internal graining (which seems to be the case), or whether it is possible or even likely that the stone was not perfectly clean when filmed.

FWIW, between those two I'd go for the SI2, take a good look at it and if necessary 'restart'. I think the risk is lower - twinning wisps are usually... wispy rather than cloudy!

6 minutes ago, RookieRock said:

Since I plan on buying at least one every year (if not more, depending on presents for her), should I invest in  either an ASET-Scope or an Ideal-Scope, or just keep looking at the diamond proportions and "eye test"?

If you want the diamonds to look 'as much as possible identical to each other', an ASET viewer is not a bad idea. Bear in mind that they are not totally straightforward to use - not difficult, but it does take some training (use!) to get things consistently into view (and you definitely need a pair of gem tweezers - or the expensive 'photography' version of the ASET, which however makes consistent distance between viewer and stone 'automatic').

If you only want them to look 'consistently very nice', I would continue to eye-test!

Thank you for all of your great advice! I probably am going to order the SI2 and inspect it when it comes in! With their great return policy, I really don't have anything to lose. Quite frankly, there isn't a lot of good options in the .33-.34 carat range (at least right now) especially knowing it has to be D color (probably my mistake). When I first started this a few years ago, I knew how much my wife loved super bright, white diamonds, so I decided to make sure they were all D color, with as close to perfect hearts and arrows cuts that I could get... probably a bad decision because it makes it harder... ho hum. I already gave her a smaller tennis bracelet on our wedding day, So I wanted to fill this one each year with sparkle bombs that are all exceptionally cut, so when it's complete and I give it to her, it will look like absolute fire! 

You are very welcome!

FWIW, nobody is ever going to be able to tell D from E once set. Especially in a really well cut 1/3 ct stone. Whether you now see this as a 'cheat' is a different question.

Edited by davidelevi

1 hour ago, davidelevi said:

You are very welcome!

FWIW, nobody is ever going to be able to tell D from E once set. Especially in a really well cut 1/3 ct stone. Whether you now see this as a 'cheat' is a different question.

Very good point! Honestly, I began this journey with the intentions of all of them being D VS1s, but after seeing the rise in cost, I reversed my thinking and decided to go with D color and whatever clarity as long as it was cut well! I did, just look at JA's E colors for those diamonds and.... it was a whole lot of crap. So at least for now, I'm going to stick to the D SI2. In about 10 years, I may be wishing I went with K I2s! Ha!