Is this diamond to good to be true?

vcnessa

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are looking for a 2 carat Radiant diamond at a $20,000 budget and our jeweler recommended us this: https://www.withclarity.com/diamond/1367918062/1.95-Radiant-D-FL-Excellent , its actually cheaper than a 2 carat E VVS1 and I'm super scared it would turn out to be glass.. Anyone please help :( I do not mine topping up extra for a Flawless diamond but is this too good to be true? 

Hey, so I actually used DR to ultimately buy my diamond and had similar thoughts as you shared -- so I'm "paying it forward". Turns out, I had an awesome experience with them... price was great, and the people seemed to have a reasonable understanding of what they were talking about. I don't think you need to worry at all. Online is totally the way to go for awesome prices. From what I have gathered, almost all diamonds are cut and polished at factories in around the world anyway. Eventually they make their way here to stores, get marked up more and then we buy. Take advantage where you can and enjoy a nice dinner out (or two) :) Nice diamond btw!

One of the reasons why it's cheaper is that it's just below the 2 carat threshold. This in and of itself doesn't make it a good or bad diamond - but it will definitely impact the price.

4 hours ago, vcnessa said:

I'm super scared it would turn out to be glass.

Well - if you mean that it would literally turn out to be a piece of glass, I think there's plenty you can do to prevent that. Having a trusted jeweller supplying it is a very good first step, and an independent appraisal of the gem would be a second one.

If what you fear is that it may be glassy and lifeless... unfortunately there's not much that can sort that out other than seeing the diamond. The video is not particularly promising - but it's not taken with the intention of showing sparkle and fire. See e.g. the conversation here:

4 hours ago, vcnessa said:

is this too good to be true?

To an extent, it depends on whether the price is really unrealistically low. Just below your stated budget would not be concerning (in terms of fraudulently 'too good to be true') - but the diamond still has everything to prove in terms of cut; the vendor-assigned cut grade of 'excellent' means about as much as random black pixels assembled on a screen.

5 hours ago, vcnessa said:

is this too good to be true? 

The short answer is no, it’s not.

It’s cheaper than the median comp by several percent, but that’s not the same thing. Is it the right deal for you? That's a much more complicated question. It might be. 

Several questions come to mind:

1)     What is your objective? Must it be D/IF or would you be happy with E/IF or D/VVS1? Must it be radiant? Is it BEST if it’s these things? How did you land on this particular stone? Are you on this one because it looks like a bargain or because it’s what you were hunting for?

2)     You chose just under 2.00cts. Why? If it’s a price thing, and it usually is, why are you looking at D/IF? (I know, that’s really the same question but it's an important one)

3)     Your biggest concern, is it glass or otherwise severely misrepresented, is a matter of your trust in the dealer, not the grading. So … do you trust the dealer? Why or why not? Have you researched them? There are lots of competitors.

4)     Are the terms and conditions acceptable to you? For example, returns if you’re unhappy, credit cards (not their house card), that sort of thing? Do you care about things like the upgrade policy or the warranty?

5)      You know nothing at all about the cutting, which is a big deal. That’s not as critical of the dealer as it sounds, most dealers know nothing at all, and even fewer will tell you, but what’s your plan on this? One of the things about diamonds is that when you’re shopping the lowest price for a particular weight/clarity/color combination, this is often the issue. I don't know anything either, by the way. Some people don’t care, a diamond is a diamond and they want the best price possible, but if that’s you, why are you looking at D/IF two caraters?

Thank you so much for your input. 

Basically I want a 2 ct radiant diamond cause of personal preference, it doesn't have to be FL/IF, I'm happy with lower clarity as long as it is 100% eye clean. This D FL diamond is what my local jeweler recommended me. I do trust him, but a part of me cannot believe that by just increasing my budget by a bit I am able to purchase a flawless stone. 

Also it does not have to be D, I'm okay with E and F. However what I am most confused by is that a 2ct. E VVS1 is more expensive than this 1.95ct D FL. That is why I'm still not 100% sure I should get this stone. 

My jeweler also recommended me this other one 2ct E VVS2. Which one would you choose?

Screenshot_20210218-093756_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

I don't think it's a fake - but whether it's a nice stone is a completely different question.

There is always a reason why it's cheap, and here one clear reason is that it's not a full 2 carats. This will make a difference. It could also be a poorly cut diamond - but, just like for the 2.01, we have no way of telling with the information you have posted.

Unfortunately there really is no substitute - a good comparative video showing both stones in different lighting conditions (not just the 'very flat' light used in the video of the first stone; that's good to show inclusions, which is pointless here) can definitely help.

If you trust the vendor, their word is worth something, but there is a clear conflict of interest, and they seem to be sitting on the fence in any case.

‘Eye clean’ in a radiant starts at about VS1.  VS2 for most people. SI1 is pushing your luck. VS1-vs2- vvs2-vvs1-IF-F will all look the same without magnification After mounting, D-E-F will all be visibly the same.

The stone you chose is not a 2 carat.  It fails to meet your minimum requirements.

All of this matters in a big way. The difference between a 2.00/D/IF and a 1.90/F/VS1 is a factor of 3 in terms of asking prices.  This is not a rounding error. That’s why all of this matters.  I would not call a 2.00 better than a 1.90 or a IF better than a VS1, it’s just different, but these grading questions have a profound effect on the price.  You’re paying a premium for D and IF. You’re getting a discount for 1.90.  There’s nothing particularly wrong with that but it sounds rather like this is a decision that wasn’t made by you.  From your answer above, none of those three are even really part of your requirements.

The 2.01 is cheaper because it's discounted for the depth and the fluorescence.

The way to answer the cut question is to look at it in person. Failing that, have someone else look at it who you trust and who is working for you, not them.

Here’s a list of 33 stones for sale that meet your requirements. I didn't look very hard to find it (it's from the 'diamond finder' at the top of the page:

https://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=0&fShape=Rdnt&fCaratLo=2.00&fCaratHi=2.05&fColorLo=D&fColorHi=F&fClarityLo=FL&fClarityHi=VS1&fCutLo=&fCutHi=poor&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=20000&fLabGIA=1

Edited by denverappraiser