Choosing engagement ring help

Sean Kim

Hi everyone and hope you're all safe and well. Sorry for silly question but thought maybe someone having experience could advise please.

My name is Sean from Vancouver, Canada. I'm wanting to buy an engagement right for my wife who's Asian decent, 5'4", ring size of 4.5, petite and office worker. She currently has a wedding ring which is the Tiffany soleste half band platinum and think it has some dimensions of 22 round brilliant (1.3-1.4 x 0.82mm). We're seeking an engagement ring style of a Tiffany Setting Engagement Ring style solitaire round style because of how high the diamond cup sits on the top of the ring allowing a Very Flush fit with the wedding ring. 

Was searching around saw a good setting at James Allen 14K White Gold Presentation Solitaire (6 Prong) setting and was wondering if this would be a good fit for the current wedding ring, and with diamond specs of round shape, ideal/true hearts cut, F-D colors, greater than 1 carat, VS1-FL clarity? Sorry don't know much about Polish/Symmetry/Lab/Depth/ Table/Fluorescence. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone and stay well.

Hi Sean, welcome to DiamondReview!

It's not a silly question at all, however people usually go in reverse order when buying engagement and wedding rings... not least because it's a whole lot easier and cheaper to adjust a wedding ring than to modify something with a more complex design.

This said, the only way to see whether a design will fit flush is to try it. I would talk to JA to understand whether they will send you an unset ring to test; if they do not, or the design does not fit, there isn't much point in going down that path. You may be better served by someone that can adjust or outright custom make the engagement ring setting to fit flush with the Tiffany band.

Even before you test whether the JA design fits - I would suggest you consider a couple of things on the ring:

1. The "presentation" line is the cheapest JA makes. Don't be deceived by the nice CAD renderings on the website; the real thing is very unlikely to look as nicely made as the Tiffany piece. For engagement rings like for everything else, you mostly get what you pay for.

2. The Tiffany band is platinum - and Tiffany's platinum alloy contains ruthenium, which means they are quite hard and relatively dark grey in colour. A rhodium-plated 14 kt gold band is going to look very white. Even if you don't go for a Tiffany setting, a platinum alloy would likely match the other ring's appearance better - and be significantly more durable too.

On the diamond spec - it's a bit wide... I would suggest that you try to narrow things down a little, possibly specifying a budget. You may be overshooting a bit on colour and clarity: a G/VS2 will still look very white and without any visible inclusions. 

• 1 month later...

I want to tell you how I did, when I didn't know what ring would like my fiancé. I customize the engagement ring. Furthermore, I asked her what she likes, what type of stone, how big should it be. No, no, I didn't ask her directly, one of her best friends did. So, I bought her a gorgeous and unique ring made of lab grown diamonds. She works in an ONG, and fights for human rights. So, it would be inhuman to buy natural diamonds. She appreciates this a lot. Now, we are married for almost one year, and I will tell you for sure, this is the woman of my dreams.
You can find more about lab grown diamonds on https://www.miadonna.com/pages/lab-grown-diamonds They have nice offers at the moment.

Edited by Nathanwe