Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
highlander

Please help between these 2 diamonds

I have a couple of diamonds on hold with BGD and I would really appreciate some expert opinion please. 

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.443-h-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104107436008

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.437-h-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104105796001

BGD state the diamonds are both eye clean and based on reputation I am sure this is true.  However I am aware of the inclusion on the magnified video for the 1.443 ct stone, I picked it up immediately on looking at the video before I had even looked at the grading report, by contrast I can't see anything on the video for the 1.437 ct stone .

Based on this then obvious answer would be to purchase the 1.437 however it has a HCA score of 0.6 while the 1.443 stone has a HCA score of 1.2.  Based on my limited knowledge a HCA score of between 1-2 is recommended for a diamond so not sure why a signature cut is returning a 0.6?  Can anyone shed some light on the reason for the difference in HCA scores and what the implications are in real life?

To my inexperienced eyes I can't see any colour difference on the Hs but am aware there will be a range for this.  Is either of them a slightly better colour than the other?

So basically I guess I am asking which stone would you prefer and why?

The final dilemma I have is that both fall short of the symbolic 1.5ct, I'm telling myself that makes it a savvy purchase but have a niggle at the back of my mind.  How much larger would an ideal cut 1.5ct look like in reality compared to either of these stones?

Thanks for your help

The HCA doesn't really apply here.  In both cases, you've got better information in the form of the AGS cut grade.  

You can't grade color from a photograph, especially a photo you didn't take and don't even know who did.  Color grades are tiny steps and the variations in photo procedures account for far more. 

Frankly, I'd go with neither and find a 1.50+.  It's not that hard, it's not that much more money, and if it bugs you now, it'll bug you more later.  If you need to bring the budget down, compromise a little bit on clarity.  

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.

Professional Appraisals in Denver

14 hours ago, denverappraiser said:

The HCA doesn't really apply here.  In both cases, you've got better information in the form of the AGS cut grade.  

You can't grade color from a photograph, especially a photo you didn't take and don't even know who did.  Color grades are tiny steps and the variations in photo procedures account for far more. 

Frankly, I'd go with neither and find a 1.50+.  It's not that hard, it's not that much more money, and if it bugs you now, it'll bug you more later.  If you need to bring the budget down, compromise a little bit on clarity.  

Thanks denverappraiser that's good to know about the HCA.

I hear you re the 1.5, but trying to justify the c$3k price rise to myself is proving tricky, hence the question about the size differential.  Going down in clarity doesn't seem to help on BGD, I really struggle to understand their pricing. For example they have a 1.5 VS1 which is more expensive than a 1.53 VVS2 for the same colour and same signature series on their site

Edited by highlander

Ask ’em. Often it's a matter of supply. In the internet databases, the seller usually isn't the owner, and the owner is who sets the prices. They can ASK whatever they want. 

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.

Professional Appraisals in Denver