Jump to content

Assistance required with Fluorescence


msat29
 Share

Recommended Posts

Evening folks. I bought an engagement ring for my girlfriend, thinking it was a great purchase. I'm now having doubts. I began reading more about fluorescence after putting it together and having the jeweler set the stone. Diamond specs are: 1.05 SI1 G triple excellent. Very eye clean and looked lovely. But, it has medium blue fluorescence, and looking at it in daylight worried me, and I may be paranoid, but it looks blue in direct daylight. 

 

Thoughts? 

 

 

Screenshot_20190822-225554.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Be careful about interpreting photos - diamonds are part transparent, part mirrors, the sky is blue, those seat covers (?) seem blue (and possibly your shirt is blue too).

If you don't like it, return it - there is nothing intrinsically wrong with it, even if it shows as much blue as you think it does; as Furqan says, another diamond would not, but one is not better than the other.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

GIA did a study on the effects of fluorescence on a diamonds' face up color and transparency. Probably the best study ever done on this topic. Here's the link:

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/winter-1997-fluorescence-diamonds-moses

Medium fluorescence should have no effect on your diamond. And, according to the results of the GIA study, neither should strong fluorescence.

As David mentioned, other factors may be at play here.

I do have two questions:

1. Was your diamond graded by GIA?

2. What are the specs; i.e., table-depth-crown/pavilion angle, girdle thickness? Did the jeweler give you a Sarine report which shows the cut angle of the facets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good Question!  

I'd have to agree with the comments above, the diamond looks beautiful!  Yes, fluorescence can be an interesting factor with diamonds, but I personally think you have nothing to worry about. I know we can get in our own head about these kinds of things, but the diamond looks fabulous and I'm sure your loved one will love it!  

**Side Note:  Diamonds that fluoresce will do so in the presence of a black light, which is pretty cool!

Hope this helped!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, barry said:

GIA did a study on the effects of fluorescence on a diamonds' face up color and transparency. Probably the best study ever done on this topic. Here's the link:

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/winter-1997-fluorescence-diamonds-moses

Medium fluorescence should have no effect on your diamond. And, according to the results of the GIA study, neither should strong fluorescence.

As David mentioned, other factors may be at play here.

I do have two questions:

1. Was your diamond graded by GIA?

2. What are the specs; i.e., table-depth-crown/pavilion angle, girdle thickness? Did the jeweler give you a Sarine report which shows the cut angle of the facets.

 

IMG_20190823_154626.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, barry said:

I believe some of that center darkness you see could be due to the 33/41.2 Crown/Pavillion shallow/deep angle combination.

So GIA graded this as an excellent cut diamond, but according to this article https://www.lumeradiamonds.com/diamond-education/round-diamonds it might not be. And, being a first time diamond purchaser, there's a cavity inclusion. So, I'm so fearful that I made such a bad purchase now 😭

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, msat29 said:

So GIA graded this as an excellent cut diamond, but according to this article https://www.lumeradiamonds.com/diamond-education/round-diamonds it might not be. And, being a first time diamond purchaser, there's a cavity inclusion. So, I'm so fearful that I made such a bad purchase now 😭

 

It's a nice looking diamond, no doubt. GIA EX-EX standard  is a bit broader than the Towlkowsky standard. My comment was directed to the point of contrast.

Enjoy the stone.

Edited by barry
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2019 at 3:56 AM, msat29 said:

I bought an engagement ring for my girlfriend, thinking it was a great purchase.

You seem to have 3 concerns here:

1. The fluorescence

2. The cut proportions

3. The cavity

The one on which I think you should be reassured unconditionally is the last one. Look at a cavity as a "negative" inclusion; it's an inclusion that has gone away leaving a little hole. In an SI1, it's not of the size to create any risk to integrity or durability, and you yourself said you can't see it, so it has really no impact.

The other two points have to do with the appearance of the stone, and the only valid judgement on that is your opinion (and that of your fiancée). If you like it, it is a nice stone and it's all that matters. Is it the be-all and end-all of (modern, theoretical) diamond cutting? No, it isn't; it's a nice middle-of-the-road diamond, but as long as you paid a fair price for it and you like it, who cares? She is going to wear the diamond, not the report, and if anyone you know is going around with a UV light to see if the diamonds worn by other people are fluorescent or not, I think you have concerns other than the fluorescence. 😉

Edited by davidelevi
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2019 at 5:07 AM, davidelevi said:

You seem to have 3 concerns here:

1. The fluorescence

2. The cut proportions

3. The cavity

The one on which I think you should be reassured unconditionally is the last one. Look at a cavity as a "negative" inclusion; it's an inclusion that has gone away leaving a little hole. In an SI1, it's not of the size to create any risk to integrity or durability, and you yourself said you can't see it, so it has really no impact.

The other two points have to do with the appearance of the stone, and the only valid judgement on that is your opinion (and that of your fiancée). If you like it, it is a nice stone and it's all that matters. Is it the be-all and end-all of (modern, theoretical) diamond cutting? No, it isn't; it's a nice middle-of-the-road diamond, but as long as you paid a fair price for it and you like it, who cares? She is going to wear the diamond, not the report, and if anyone you know is going around with a UV light to see if the diamonds worn by other people are fluorescent or not, I think you have concerns other than the fluorescence. 😉

Thanks for the great deal of feedback. I spoke with my jeweler, who's a graduated GIA gemologist, and re-assured me that the inclusion isn't really a cavity, it's more of a natural type inclusion, and is quite small. It was placed under a claw, so under a loup it's almost invisible. The diamond itself looks great, and I believe I paid a very fair price for the stone in comparison to other jewelers, and what online vendors like Rarecarat, Blue Nile and James Allen are selling. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, msat29 said:

the inclusion isn't really a cavity, it's more of a natural type inclusion

If GIA marks it as a cavity, it's a cavity; they occur naturally (largely because something that has crystallised naturally in the diamond is then diffused away - remember, it takes several million years and hellish temperature and pressure to make a diamond in nature). There is nothing wrong with cavities - especially those that are graded SI1.

Enjoy the diamond, and congratulations!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, davidelevi said:

If GIA marks it as a cavity, it's a cavity; they occur naturally (largely because something that has crystallised naturally in the diamond is then diffused away - remember, it takes several million years and hellish temperature and pressure to make a diamond in nature). There is nothing wrong with cavities - especially those that are graded SI1.

Enjoy the diamond, and congratulations!

Thanks @davidelevi, appreciate the feedback and encouragement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...

Fluorescence has no positive or negative aspects. The beauty of a diamond is in the eyes of the beholder. You may or may not be able to see fluorescence. You may or may not enjoy it. Take the time to examine a diamond with bluish fluorescence in various lighting conditions, including natural daylight, and compare it to other diamonds of the same color. Check to see if there is a difference. Perhaps it's because the impression of diamond fluorescence is so subjective that it generates so much discussion. There are many different points of view. Next time you're in a jewelry store, see if you notice it - and then determine if it appeals to you. You should like anything you purchase. There are no hard and fast rules, so follow your heart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
  • Create New...