Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
ATLBravesFan

Buying An Engagement Ring - Any feedback appreciated

Hey guys,

I am brand new to the site and am seeking feedback on the ring i purchased. My girlfriend wanted an oval diamond with a yellow gold band. She does not care about size, so i got .9 carat rather than going to a full carat.  Does this look okay, or should i look to get something else. James Allen said i could cancel my order if i found something i liked better. I should have asked for advice before purchasing but am seeking some now. I have done a little research but do not know much at all so any feedback is greatly appreciated. Here is a link of my diamond. Let me know what you think. Thanks. 

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.90-carat-g-color-if-clarity-sku-5097566

There are quite a few issues here and there’s going to be no way to give a straight answer to your question of whether you bought the right stone. The best we can do is dance around it.

James Allen is a reputable company and they have LOTS of choices.  Weight is just one of the options. I noticed you picked a G/IF oval. It's listed as sold, presumably to you, so we can't see the price but it leads to how you chose this one.  Why IF?  Why G?  

You mentioned a ring, not just a diamond. Is the rest of it also coming from JA or are you having someone else build it?

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.

Professional Appraisals in Denver

9 minutes ago, denverappraiser said:

There are quite a few issues here and there’s going to be no way to give a straight answer to your question of whether you bought the right stone. The best we can do is dance around it.

James Allen is a reputable company and they have LOTS of choices.  Weight is just one of the options. I noticed you picked a G/IF oval. It's listed as sold, presumably to you, so we can't see the price but it leads to how you chose this one.  Why IF?  Why G?  

You mentioned a ring, not just a diamond. Is the rest of it also coming from JA or are you having someone else build it?

I apologize. Yes i purchased the band from James Allen as well. It is a rose gold 14k halo. The diamond was $4,620 and the setting was $1,200 so total of $5,820. I wanted something near colorless so i chose G based on internet research. I chose IF because the others i were looking around the same price but higher color were a lower clarity and had imperfections. However, after purchasing i read that most imperfections arent noticable to the naked eye. Did i spend too much to get IF clarity? i feel as if i should have went down on clairty at least to VVS2 from what i have seen on research. Excuse my ignorance as i know nothing about diamonds other than what i have read online the past few days. 

Edited by ATLBravesFan

The reality is that anything VS2 and above will be clean to the naked eye. The question then becomes one of where best to spend or save your money. IF and VVS stones are relatively harder to sell and their price might similar to Vvs2 and VS1 price. For similar money you may be able to find a VS1 or 2 at a full carat size without sacrificing anything visually. 

Laurent George
Diamond Ideals
New York City

www.diamondideals.com
212-207-4845
laurent@diamondideals.com

The usual reason people buy IF is the symbolism of it.  It’s the ‘best’ and it commands a premium for that reason.  If that’s not your hot button, and weight is, yes I would get another. As mentioned above, if you drop your clarity to VS2, that should free up enough budget to get the 1.0+ that you’re looking for.  Do this quickly, or at least put the breaks on quickly. It’s likely that the mounting will fit a one carat slightly differently so they’ll need to use a different ring. It’s not just a quick swap out of the center stone.

For example, here's one that seems pretty close to what you're looking for.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.01-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-3622921

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.

Professional Appraisals in Denver

Rightly explained by above two replies - Little drop on clarity side will open up more choice to go higer on Color to E/F and exact Carat. Setting & making is much cheaper here in Dubai or in India around $600 - $800