Jump to content

Color change


Marilynn
 Share

Recommended Posts

So my Gia certified stone that notes a feather in it has become duller and I don’t want to say a bit brown after I soaked it in rubbing alcohol. It’s 4ct and I don’t know what to do. The trapezoids on the sides have like no sparkle anymore either.  What are my options . 

Edited by Marilynn
Spell error
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This sounds like a cleaning problem. Alchohol won't hurt a diamond, but it's not really the best choice for cleaning either. Take a toothbrush and standard sort of household cleanser like Windex or Dawn.  It may help to take it to a jeweler to clean in their ultrasonic cleaner.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you sure rubbing alcohol won’t hurt something that has  Crystal feather cloud and needle in it? I keep reading about these fillers but then I read GIA certified doesn’t allow that. Could it be they made it sparkle with something before they sold it and now it washed away LOL?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No matter what the inclusions are, alcohol will not do anything to them; if the stone had been filled, alcohol would not damage the filler either, but GIA would not release a report on a filled stone. What clarity grade is it?

There is nothing that will make a diamond sparkle more than itself; it just needs cleaning and if the particles of dirt have been sitting there a while, maybe with some hand cream mixed in, just soaking won't do. As Neil suggested, take a soft toothbrush and some cleaner (Windex or even dish soap in hot water), and give all stones a good rub underneath and a rinse. If you live in an area with very hard water, a final rinse in alcohol may help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Diamonds are very attractive to grease and a few other sorts of gunk. Most fats are alcohol soluble and since alcohol evaporates rather quickly, you can end up just covering the surface if you aren’t careful to get it all off while it’s still ‘wet’.  In any case, no it won’t hurt your diamond.  Just clean it again. Again, use a cleaner that attacks grease like dish detergent of window cleaner and a soft brush and then rinse it off with clean water. Alcohol will work, but there are so many readily available cleaners that are better, what's the point?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Marilynn,

No worries your diamond will not change it's 4Cs ever.

It is absolutely a matter of cleaning.

I do not know what type of rubbing alcohol you used, maybe it has also a certain % of oil which is bad for the diamond.
If it has been a long time since you cleaned it or bought it then the dirt paste under your diamond has hardened and needs a professional cleaning with steam and ultrasound, most of the jewelers even will not charge for this even if you are just a walk in customer.

When a diamond accumulates dirt the diamond loses its sparkle and sometimes the imperfections become more visible because of lack of the brilliance which "hide" it.

If its not long, a toothbrush and soap with fresh water will do te job.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
  • Create New...