Thoughts on this ring and center stone? Help please!

diamondguyty

I am close to purchasing an engagement ring and center stone from a local shop.

Is this a good deal for an in-store purchase? $3550 before taxes. After some research I am potentially concerned about the pavilion angle. I am considering making this purchase but would really value feedback on the pricing but especially the quality of the center stone. The store associate also made a big deal about how the setting is from New York and not China and how the center stone is NOT from India. He said the diamonds listed on their website are a lower price because they are of Indian origin. Help please!

printimages.jsp.jpg

Edited by diamondguyty

First of all, the diamonds are not from India; they may (or may not) be cut in India. In any case, as with the setting, there are good and bad cutters and good and bad setting makers in the US as there are in India and in China respectively. Wages in India (and in China) are lower than in the US, but there are world-class cutters operating in Mumbai and Surat. In other words: what you have been told is sales BS.

The price for the stone is aligned with the high end of online prices, which is fine considering brick-and-mortar shops will have higher costs than pure online operators. However, as you note, the proportions while perfectly acceptable are not the best on paper. Have you seen and compared the diamond to others (including some with "better numbers" on paper)? If so and you still like it, I don't see a major problem; if you did find it not as appealing as others, keep looking: what you are seeking is not rare.

On the setting - nothing can be said for certain without actually seeing the item; what you have on the web pages are CAD renderings that may or may not (likely not!) correspond to the level of finish and precision in the real item. The price is perfectly within reason, but you can easily spend less - or much more - for fundamentally the same design: apart from paying for a brand (be it Cartier, Tiffany or Vatché or anyone else), the main driver of any price difference is precisely that finish and accuracy in workmanship that you cannot assess through a CAD rendering!

Edited by davidelevi

Certainly better numbers than previously.  The stone is still a little on the deep side which impacts the face up diameter.  Optimally, if you are trying to optimize, you should aim for 60 to 62.4% in the depth.  As you can see, the 62.6% you have here is pretty close but like anything else, you should always try to hit the middle rather than the outside edges.

If you are interested in paying twice what a stone is worth, it's a pretty ring.

I just found my dream ring - what do you think?

Here is a link to non-branded stones or the same color and clarity range as the "radiant star" with great proportions.

https://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds?sortOrder=carat&sortDesc=0&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=2.00&fCaratHi=2.10&fColorLo=H&fColorHi=I&fClarityLo=I1&fClarityHi=I1&fCutLo=exc&fCutHi=vgood&fDepthLo=60.0&fDepthHi=62.4&fTableLo=53.0&fTableHi=58.0&fSymLo=ideal&fSymHi=vgood&fPolLo=ideal&fPolHi=vgood&fCulLo=none&fCulHi=vsmall&fFlrLo=none&fFlrHi=faint&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&adv=1

Edited by LaurentGeorge

Thank you everyone for your input. I decided to go with the first one, the 64, I posted about. Yes, the pavillion angle is a bit high,but I really liked the stone in person and nothing is ever perfect. She’s not going to notice the pavilion angle ;) Looks great with that .45 cathedral pave setting! 

Congrats!  The stone passed the the most important test: the "actually seeing it in person" test.  All the numbers we tend to get wrapped up in are really useful when trying to pick a good performing stone sight-unseen.  Having the option to see the stone in person is the best way to shop, but sometimes not the cheapest. ;-)