1.71 carat RB, I/VS1- good purchase?

Miranda909

Hi- 

I just ordered a diamond online from Yadav. From what VERY little I have learned about diamonds, the ASET seems ok but crown and star dimensions are not within suggested parameters. I have not received the ring yet (should arrive in the next week) but I’m driving myself crazy second guessing my decision to purchase! However, the 30 day return policy puts me somewhat at peace. Below are the specs and I’ve attached the ASET as well. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you !!! 

1.71 carat Round, I/VS1, GIA XXX,

7.71-7.78x4.70

Table - 57

Depth - 60.7

Crown -  33

Pavilion - 41 

Star - 45%

Lower - 80%

Girdle -  Medium (3.5%) 

Crown - 14%

ABB44F6C-A034-4D4D-89DC-C434713CAF78.jpeg

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 33 degrees crown angle or a 45% star. Where did you read that those would not be "recommended"?

The ASET looks good, but it's possible to get a "perfect image" by moving the stone a fraction of a mm out, so unless you have good reason to trust the seller, don't put too much trust in the image (the almost total absence of green and the presence of a fair amount of "white" make me think that's exactly what happened here - this said, it looks like a well cut, highly symmetrical stone and the angles and other proportions are very nice).

Hi Miranda,

Looks fine so far.  I second the question of what suggested parameters you're using and where did you get them.  33 crown and 45 star are both fine in their own context.  

If you're worried, get an independent appraisal during your 30-day window.  They'll be able to see both the stone and the ring and should be able to set your mind at ease.

Thank you both and yes I definately plan to seek appraisal as soon as I receive the ring. I’m sure  fantastic diamonds come in all sorts of dimensions and specs but because I know so little, I felt it would be the best and surest route to stick to the following recommendations. Thank you again for your feedback. 

Brilliant Cut From Tolkowsky

Table % 52.4% to 57.5%
Depth % 56.88% to 63.92%
Crown Angle 33.7° to 35.8°
Pavilion Angle 40.2° to 41.25°
Girdle Thickness Thin – Medium
Culet Size None

The reality is that there is a slightly wider range of acceptable numbers that will still give you a gorgeous diamond.  This stone will most likely be stunning.  Have you searched the DiamondFinder on this site to make sure the price was competitive?  Here is a link to the search: https://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds?sortOrder=carat&sortDesc=0&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=1.70&fCaratHi=1.79&fColorLo=I&fColorHi=I&fClarityLo=VS1&fClarityHi=VS1&fCutLo=exc&fCutHi=exc&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=ideal&fSymHi=exc&fPolLo=ideal&fPolHi=exc&fCulLo=none&fCulHi=none&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&fLabGIA=1&adv=1

Tolkowski is an interesting can of worms.  Classically it refers to Marcel Tolkowski, who wrote a book on diamond design published in 1919.  He gets attributed with ‘inventing’ the ideal cut, which isn’t necessarily correct, but he was among the first to publish it.  His design gets a bit of criticism, most noticeably because it calls for a knife edge girdle and he liked distinctly smaller tables than what’s currently recommended, but he was extremely specific.

·        34.5° Crown Angle.

·        40.75° Pavilion Angle.

·        59.3% Total Depth.

·        53% Table Diameter.

·        Crown height 16.2%

·        Pavilion depth 43.1%

The word Tolkowski (or Tolkowsky) now gets used in all sorts of funny ways. His descendants are still in the business for example. Most of what they cut isn't even round. There are labs and dealers that claim various ranges and they are not always or even usually the same. 

For the compulsive folks who are reading this, the ENTIRE text of Tolkowski’s work is available free and online.  Here’s an English translation.

http://www.folds.net/diamond/index.html

Edited by denverappraiser