Star Facet 55% good or bad ?

npana

Hello everyone,

Looking to purchase a small stone 0.3, E colour, SI1 but have read differing views. Several mention that a star facet 55% or greater can make the diamond look dark and another article mentions 55% its the "sweet spot" for maximum fire.

Any ideas ?

upload_2017-12-8_18-18-39.png

Thanks

NP

No concerns here either. However it feels to me (from your very few words) that you are stuck in numbers. Go out and see diamonds; no-one wears the report on his/her finger...

I don't mean "go out and see these particular diamonds": that may be impossible logistically, but what is almost always possible is to go to a couple of decent retailers and see the effect of various proportions on looks - on smaller and larger stones.

That is in my opinion much more instructive than poring over a theoretical, averaged and rounded 5% star length variation in a 0.3x stone: that's a difference of about 0.1 mm in length of the star facets which is going to be at the edge of invisibility with the unaided eye when seen in isolation - never mind once it's mixed in with another 50 facets.

Edited by davidelevi

Definitely agree with you but retailers always have lights beaming from every angle and for a novice, im not too sure what im looking at as they seem to be all same !

Im still learning and at the moment, its the excitement of seeing the diamond for the first time with the numbers i have chosen. Im sure ill get it wrong bit so far its been fun and my diamond collection is growing.

Thank you again and really enjoy learning from everyone on this site

NP

Edited by npana

This might help a bit - not with the lights, but in reading the details of how GIA came out with their cut system you may get some ideas about what to look at and how to assess a diamond's cut.

http://diamondcut.gia.edu/pdf/cut_fall2004.pdf

BTW - they sometimes do look all the same, not just because of the lights!!! ;)

One thing that helps (me, at least) is to look at the diamonds in different lighting environments: under the spotlights, but also in very dim light (out of the spot... possibly under a desk), in diffused light (back-room/office in the jeweller), in natural light (next to the window or out of the door... with your credit card inside it) and seeing if they still look the same. If they do, there are good chances that you wouldn't notice any differences in real life either.

Edited by davidelevi