Is it over price?

joseph248

The price sounds reasonable - IF the diamond is attractive: colour on the report and colour in real life can be quite different things, and if the cut is not nice it will look like a glass bead. But if the colour and cut are good (as in: you like them), it's not a bad price at all. Especially if you can bargain it down a little!

Prices for these types of stones ranges tremendously.  This is squarely in the lower end of the asking prices for similar goods.  Everything depends on the look of the diamond.  If it's a pretty color and obviously a colored diamond, then it is worth considering.  If the stone is deep and dark or the color so faint that is washes out when facing up, then you may prefer to invest your $1200 into a lifelong membership to the American Museum of Natural History where you can see a range of colored stones and bring your friends as your guests.

Yes, that is true.. I can do that.. but.. the membership have no value.. at least this stone.. if I get it.. I can easily sell it if I need money. the color diamond is rare and will retain the value. 

Base on my research.. color diamond is rare so it is ok to have..

white diamond is common..

Most important.. the museum diamond is not mine diamond.. only see cannot touch..LOL

My jeweler said he will bring it out for me to check it out.

At the best of times (large photo of a loose stone in good steady lighting) it is very difficult to say much from a photo. With a small photo (the diamond uses ~60 x 70 pixels) of a sealed stone taken with unknown and uneven lighting it's impossible.

It seems to be visibly coloured and visibly purple, there is some sparkle (but if lighting is provided by a flash then even that observation is off). The question remains: do YOU like it?

(FWIW, I would never buy a diamond under seal. And I'm talking here as a collector, not as a member of the trade. I understand why they do it, but it's a bad idea.)

Edited by davidelevi

Increasing the exposure helps a little but as Davide asks, do you like it?  Your purpose was to own it and show it to friends. As much as I hate sealed stones, they do present the advantage of it being less likely to drop and lose a  0.19 Ct stone .

Btw, it looks like an Agryle pinkish purple to me.  Does the owner know where it’s from?3DAB92A8-FF51-47B0-AB57-32DCDDA8360A.jpeg.d68cf97e0405e264bf1cd1d0166f4476.jpeg

I Like it.. I am going to get it.. it seal so.. its good to put it away and not worry about getting damage.

Going to bargain with him for a better price.

But he did say that his firm price.. hmm.. going try anyway.

FYI - sorry.. picture not that good..  it really nice and shine when you see it in person.
Good collector item. 

Hi All,

How important is the clarity rating for a colored diamond?

I see some seller are selling color diamond with out the clarity rating and only making claim that it is SI1 or SI2..etc.

while some have color diamond report which show clarity rating.

How important is it and how does it affect the price?

It's quite normal for fancy colours of low clarity to be sold with a "colour origin" report, i.e. a report only stating the colour and the fact that it's of natural origin. The absence of a clarity grade doesn't change their value, but in many sellers' opinion it makes the diamond easier to market: few people will even look at an I2 or I3 diamond... if they are told it's I2 or I3.

As to how much that specific one is worth, it's as usual an impossible question to answer without seeing the diamond - and the extent to which the inclusions "bother" it. From the single photo of the sealed package it seems a lot less sparkly and lively than the 0.16. How much is the photo and how much is the diamond? The colour - although intense - seems to have a smudge of brown/black (again: is it the diamond, or is it the photo?). In any case, a 0.80 natural intense pink isn't going to be super-cheap; certainly more than the 0.16 (which has a good price and seems a much prettier diamond for a collection).

Edited by davidelevi