Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
bimmrr

Certification

Looking at a few different larger stones for an engagement ring ( 2.0 to 2.5 ) and is GEL LABS a legitimate certification ?  Same for GIS ?

Never heard of either of them.  As a general rule, if the seller is not providing GIA or AGS, it is safer to walk away.

If by GEL, you mean EGL, the same applies.

GIS appears to be a lab in Ramat Gan, Israel.  Again, same advice applies.

Where are you located that your jeweler seems so limited on grading reports?

Edited to add:

A little more research shows the GEL (Gemological Entrusted Laboratories) also to be an Israeli outfit although they do not say this on their site.  Took a little more digging.  My advice remains the same.

The GIA and AGS are the only labs that provide consistent grading.  My father once told me the GIA was a buying tool, everything else is a selling tool.

Edited by LaurentGeorge

There are a lot of labs out there.  Basically, anyone who has a printer and a TLA (three letter acronym) can call themselves a gem lab.  They can say whatever they want.  The key here is that the onus is on the lab to convince you that their opinions are of merit, and the default answer is NO.  Like Laurent above, I’ve never heard of either these brands.  That doesn’t make them wrong, but it does put them in the category of “some guy with a printer somewhere said it’s a VS2” and where the seller is eager to have you believe it.  So?  If we're really talking about a 2.5ct diamond of better than a terrible grade, there's quite a bit of money on the table that will depend on this grading conclusion.  Why would you base this decision on a grader you've never heard of?

Edited by denverappraiser

Not much to add to Laurent's and Neil's observations other than:

The usual conversation on this has the dealer pulling out the fact that GIA is expensive and takes a long time to do anything. GIA publishes both waiting times and fees on its website. At the time of writing this, waiting times are 1 to 3 weeks depending on the particular lab location for the "non express" service https://www.gia.edu/gem-lab-return-dates and fees for a 2.00 to 2.99 stone are $169 https://www.gia.edu/doc/GIA_DtoZDiamondServices_100117_USD.pdf add shipping costs and call it $300, plus opportunity and interest costs say it's $500.

Neither is a dealbreaker and it does NOT justify the difference in price between a GIA-graded diamond and another one of apparently similar grades from - say - GEL. The differences are in the stone (colour, clarity, treatments, cut), not in the lab report.