Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
miaddddd

Hoping for reassurance about my round brilliant e ring!

Hello, I've been enjoying the wonderfully helpful comments on this site and finding it much less harsh than others I've been browsing. We ordered my engagement ring recently, now being set, and realised after purchasing that we hadn't done enough research into what all the measurements and scoring mean. I don't think we did badly, I think it's a nice ring, GIA triple excellent, and looked good to us in the store, but having since checked HCA (it got a 3.6) and read some criticism of steeper crowns, i'm a little worried in case we might have rushed into it.

We paid I think a pretty fair price, including the beautiful platinum setting it was £1980 from the jewellery quarter, so a shop but not high street.

(I really want to be able to relax and look forward to picking up the ring and stop obsessing over measurements I don't understand!)

thanks in advance!

It's GIA triple excellent

Carat Weight
0.56 carat
Colour Grade
F
Clarity Grade
SI2
Cut Grade
Excellent

PROPORTIONS

Depth
62.3 %
Table
55 %
Crown Angle
36.0°
Crown Height
16.0%
Pavilion Angle
40.8°
Pavilion Depth
43.0%
Star Length
45%
Lower Half
80%
Girdle
Medium, Faceted, 3.0%
Culet
None
  printimages.jsp?IMG_TYPE=PROPIMG&IMG_NO1=00D8A9CE2BA49B1C9F5452C319614C13

FINISH

Polish
Excellent
Symmetry
Excellent

FLUORESCENCE

Fluorescence
None

CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS

Clarity Characteristics
Cloud

INSCRIPTION(S)

GIA 6231463283

You're fine.  I"ll let others talk about the HCA but I will say that the measure you're looking at, the 36 degree crown angle, is an average of 8 measurements that are taken using a machine called a Sarine where the stated accuracy is +/- 0.2.  That average is then rounded to the nearest 0.5.  What you 'want' is 34.5.  This is splitting hairs in a big way.  If you've seen the stone and love it, NOTHING that appears on that document outways THAT.  

Not much to add, other than the fact that the HCA has not seen the diamond, you have - and the HCA only reflects its developer's aesthetic preferences, not yours. Enjoy your diamond, and congratulations!

Thank you! Can I just check, though - does the report sound like it should be a fairly nice stone? Because we are so new at diamonds wanted to be sure it didn't sound like we'd been taken in and there weren't any big red flags. 

It "reads" very well; personally I like smaller tables and larger crowns (opposite preferences to Garry Holloway, for example). It certainly isn't a dud/dog/poorly cut stone by any means.

I'll add my voice of support to both Davide and Neil.  The stone looks very nice on paper.  The fact that you have seen and love the stone is the seal of approval you actually need.

Congratulations!