Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
tchen017

Need Help Picking between Two 1ct Round Diamonds

Hello,

I am looking to buy an enagement ring and can't decide which one to go with. Please help!!!

Diamond #1: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.02-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3448824

Diamond #2: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3582068

Price for Diamond #1:$8,920

Price for Diamond #2: $8,700

For diamond #1, it has a HCA score of 1.4, but I think the Ideal Scope Image is not as red as diamond #2. Lots of white/lighter spots in between the arrows.

3448824.jpg.5ddc469564ac46fec7c7f37f8260622a.jpg

For diamond #2, it has a HCA score of 2.5, but the Ideal Scope Image looks really nice. Are the white spots between the inner black arrows considered light leakage?

3582068.jpg.4b4c814c6beaa613be575f2d2246e0b9.jpg

I personally think that diamond #2 is better, but not 100% sure. Please let me know if either one of them is worth buying.

Thank you very much for your help.

Frances

Edited by tchen017

Hey mate

They're both really lovely diamonds and I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.

With the IS pics, don't forget that camera/lighting/how the diamond is sitting/etc. play a big role in how the image looks.

I'd personally go with number 2 because I like a table that's slightly smaller than 59% - I like a bit more total depth than 60% - and I like a crown thats a bit steeper than 33.5 (however some might say that 36.5 is too steep).

But again, I'm just being pedantic...they are both nice diamonds so choose whichever you like.

Hope this helps

Not much to add to ADN's observations, other than noting that in this case the price for a smaller table and larger and steeper crown is a fairly large (relatively!) difference in diameter. I would bet that side-by-side, diamond 1 will look visibly larger than diamond 2. This said, I'd rather pocket the $200 and go for #2 myself as well.