Princess Cut Diamond Measurements

lefogle

Hello,

I recently bought a .99 ctw princess cut solitaire that is a Leo Diamond. I got a very good deal on the ring but was wondering if it is because of the diamond measurements- 5.05 x 5.01 x 3.99 (fairly deep cut). The purchase came with warranty and an extended service plan through the original store purchased from. Online, I'm reading that this is an "inadequate" diamond based on its proportions. However the rating of this diamond scored off the charts for the GEMEX Light Performance Report (in all 3 categories), the highest I have seen (see attached). The diamond is near colorless (G), clarity of SI1 and Polish/Symmetry: very good/good (no treatments). I would like to know what a professional's opinion is of the stone based on this information? Is it worth sacrificing face-up area? Thank you.

GEMEX REPORT-LEO.JPG

I don't find the Gemex thing to be useful at all, either good or bad.  FWIW, nearly every one I've seen shows the subject stone as scoring extremely well.  Fancy that. GSI is not an especially well-regarded lab for clarity and color grading but that doesn't make them wrong.  It just makes it hard to tell you anything useful about the stone based on the report.  

Yes, 79% is higher than usual but no, it's not 'inadequate'.  It causes a discount, which most people count as a feature, not a problem. Depth measurement is not a particularly useful metric for princess cuts.   

Edited by denverappraiser

Most decently cut 1 carat princess cuts measure about 5.5x5.5mm.  Because your stone is on the deeper side, it faces up closer to a 0.75 to 0.85 carat stone.  This probably plays a role in the cost you are seeing.  If you want a stone cut to better standards, it is likely to cost you a little more.  It is up to you to decide what is important to you.

Jewelers in general have a vested interest in selling their own merchandise, as such their opinion is invariably biased.  We recommend consulting an independent appraiser, one who is not affiliated with any jewelry store and is not involved in the buying or selling of jewelry.  One of the better know independent appraiser is Neil in Denver, aka denverappraiser, who has been responding to you in this thread.

I LOVE appraisers.  :D

That said, whether we do anything that applies to your situation depends on what you're looking for.

Is it the correct diamond and is it undamaged?  Yes, most appraisers can answer that and it's an important question. 

Is it set securely?  Again, good question.  Yes, you can usually get that.

Was it correctly graded by GSI when compared to GIA standards?  That's a harder question.  It's mounted and GSI got to see it loose.  Maybe you can get something useful on this but it's not a 100% issue. 

Is it well cut?  Another dicey one.  There is no generally accepted cut scale for princesses and appraisers approach it very differently, as I"m sure you've discovered if you've been reading online.  This is one of those ones where it's important that you and the appraiser both understand what's being asked and how they'll be answering it.  Some are a lot better at this than others.

Was it a 'deal'?  Another tough one.  As Davide mentions above, the usual appraisal definition of value has to do with estimating what it will cost to replace the item with another one of like kind and quality, new, at retail, locally.  That's useful for insurance purposes, but it's not really the question asked here.  The correct answer to the wrong question is doing you no favors.  The wrong answer to the wrong question is just pointless. 

Is it properly documentated?  Mostly your insurer is agreeing to replace with like kind and quality in the case of a loss, and to do that they need high quality and detailed descriptions, good photographs and so on.  You may or not already have this but usually, seller supplied paperwork is NOT sufficient. 

Edited by denverappraiser