Advice on my potential diamond please

Joe Stag

I am looking at GIA 5181589599. Can you provide insights of what you think about this diamond. As well, can you provide a reasonable price range in Canadian Dollars? Finally, you can see the inclusion when you look at the diamond from underneath, it just looks like a little black dot. But when you look from the top or side, you can not see anything with your eye, the jeweler told me the inclusion is not a big deal because no one looks at your ring from underneath. Any ways, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

The diamond looks fine (on paper!). I particularly like the high crown and small(ish) table, though others may find that total depth is just a shade high. Link to the GIA report: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=5181589599

A reasonable range in any currency depends on where you are shopping... you can easily buy a stone that is currently advertised by a "price-oriented" online vendor, or you can go to the nearest Cartier boutique and pay twice as much or more. A typical high street retailer will be somewhere between the two. All can deliver "value" and none is necessarily a ripoff; same goes for US vs. Canadian vs. European prices: there are differences in costs (salaries, rents, insurance, ...) and tax rates that cause at least some of the price differences, and while one may decide to source things abroad to save money that doesn't make the price "at home" a ripoff.

You can find prices for the first type of dealer on the Diamond Finder here: https://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds remember to add the appropriate rate of HST and to convert with a reasonable exchange rate USD prices - this will give you a "floor" to work from (note that among the vendors advertising here there are already significantly different levels of service - and sometimes of quality - and this can result in different prices even for stones that appear very similar).

On the inclusion, to some extent the jeweller is correct: no-one is going to look at a ring from underneath in ordinary circumstances. On the other hand, some people are bothered even by the thought that there is "something" in their diamond. Neither point of view is right or wrong - it is a purely personal decision.

I would however recommend that you observe the diamond (and the ring, if it is set) into several different lighting environments, not just under typical jewellery storefront spotlights: try diffused lighting (back-office), natural light both direct and diffused (window or outside... if they let you go out!), dim light (under a desk) and see how visible the inclusions are in each of those before you commit.

I'll play the role of a devils advocate here and tell you the downsides of this diamond. It has a reasonably small table, much smaller than what most like in the Industry. While higher crowns and smaller tables are more fiery they do look slightly smaller for their size. 

Secondly, the inclusion pattern on this diamond is concentrated and mostly all on table which are plotted. There's probably too much going on in this diamond for industry's likings. But if all of that is well reflected in the price then it's okay. I think since it's a Canada Mark it may have about a 5% premium on it's selling price which may not be recoverable if you sell it 2nd hand. 

The diamond doesn't have any specialities attached to it for example a premium set of proportions or hearts and arrows and have all the inclusions on the table right in the centre. Try the diamond finder link and put in your diamonds parameters there and see what's the cheapest stone you come up with, verify for any bad markers such as clarity is based on clouds not shown, clarity is based on graining not shown, this way you may have eliminated milky stones. Add about 5% to that price and That's your fair price. 

I'll disagree with the last sentence... it's something like your fair price if you are purchasing online from a "price-driven" vendor. It's not necessarily your fair price if you are purchasing on the high street. And there may well be SI1 with far more evident inclusions than these (we don't know one way or the other, but these don't seem to be very prominent, despite location and type being not particularly benign!).

All this said, the process above gives you a good point from which to negotiate.