Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Irfaan Lapstar

Help me identify this radiant! :) good luck! :)

Hi guys, i have a 0.34 Radiant D VS2,

Please see attached pics and certs..

Does anyone know the name or type of cut on the bottom as i am looking for other radiants that have the same cut..

Please dont steal the pictures. thanks.

Thanking you,

Irfaan Hassan

DSC01970.JPG

DSC01971.JPG

DSC01972.JPG

DSC01973.JPG

DSC01974.JPG

DSC01975.JPG

DSC01976.JPG

DSC01979.JPG

DSC01980.JPG

DSC01981.JPG

DSC01982.JPG

DSC01983.JPG

DSC01984.JPG

DSC01985.JPG

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

It looks like a pretty standard radiant to me. I may be wrong, but the specific pattern of the pavilion's cut has no name beyond "radiant" - which at one point was a patented cut pattern.

I may be wrong again, but it's the one displayed schematically here - it's quite tough to figure it out from the photos; if you could ask for a couple of shots of the stone face down under diffused light it may help:

gia report

Hope this helps, but I don't think there is a way of searching specifically for that cutting pattern (and GIA has been known to print reports with wrong patterns!)

Edited by davidelevi
Clarified sentence structure.
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I even understand your question.  It's a cut-cornered modified square brilliant.  You obviously already know that. It's right there on the GIA.  'Radiant' is a brand name that for obvious reasons gets incorrectly used to describe those, and you clearly know that too.  It's the same reason all facial tissues are known as Kleenex even though that's a specific brand. Are you asking if there are other tradenames or euphemisms to consider?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, davidelevi said:

It looks like a pretty standard radiant to me. I may be wrong, but the specific pattern of the pavilion's cut has no name beyond "radiant" - which at one point was a patented cut pattern.

I may be wrong again, but it's the one displayed schematically here - it's quite tough to figure it out from the photos; if you could ask for a couple of shots of the stone face down under diffused light it may help:

gia report

Hope this helps, but I don't think there is a way of searching specifically for that cutting pattern (and GIA has been known to print reports with wrong patterns!)

Hi Mr Levi.. aaah finally.. a frikken diamond head!! :))

mahn if I tell you ive been asking around ever since I have this diamond.. to no answers..!!

ok I'm going to reply to you in stages, hope that is ok.. 

"It looks like a pretty standard radiant to me. I may be wrong, but the specific pattern of the pavilion's cut has no name beyond "radiant" - which at one point was a patented cut pattern. "

- Correct!! :) , that's what I imagined all radiants pavilion's cut to be, hence what sets it apart from other cuts, since you right again, the original radiant was patented by a mr Henry Gossbard if I'm not mistaken?. So I had the absolute pleasure of buying this diamond.. and was so impressed but the intracacies of the pavilion cut, I was not satisfied.. I want a bigger one.. so alas my search started.. scoured James Allen even.. and every radiant had a princess bottom.. ofcourse even with chevrons, which is run of the mill to my disappointment..

Futher.. after reading about Henry Grossbard.. I proceeded to his , now son's , site.. only to find .. more cut cornered princess's.. so eventually after much frustration at looking at every diamond on his site.. I ended up emailing him asking for his dad's original notes and manuscripts on the cut, as I'm convinced that this had to be an original grossbard cut.. and well.. no reply.. 

- will work on the pics for you Sir , wish you could see the facets in person though.. its breath-taking! :) 

- Surely after an industry being around for this many years GIA could state the different cuts correctly.. ie. rose cut, single cut, brilliant, princess,radiant,ariealla.. etc. etc.

I'm on a ware path recently with GIA, they tell you that a stone has 'none' culet.. yet don't comment that the culet is abraded or chipped.. becoming a bunch of slackers.. 

Toda Davide for joining me on this search Sir.. much appreciated :)

Regards,

Irfaan

3 hours ago, denverappraiser said:

I'm not sure I even understand your question.  It's a cut-cornered modified square brilliant.  You obviously already know that. It's right there on the GIA.  'Radiant' is a brand name that for obvious reasons gets incorrectly used to describe those, and you clearly know that too.  It's the same reason all facial tissues are known as Kleenex even though that's a specific brand. Are you asking if there are other tradenames or euphemisms to consider?

Hi Mr Beaty..

Thank you for your reply Sir,

It's a cut-cornered modified square brilliant.

-cut cornered - check. modified square brilliant - not so check .. there's no chevrons or standard princess cut on the pavilion, which is the reason that I'm so thrilled!! its like I'm holding a piece of history here.. the real deal , the genuine article!

'Radiant' is a brand name that for obvious reasons gets incorrectly used to describe those, and you clearly know that too.  It's the same reason all facial tissues are known as Kleenex even though that's a specific brand. Are you asking if there are other tradenames or euphemisms to consider?

- Correctomundo!! ive even gone and asked Mr Grossbard's son, if I could have a copy of the original manuscripts and cutting notes from his father, as a part of me wants to strongly believe that this is a Grossbard original Radiant..  Cut the way the patent meant for it to be cut! to no reply.. which leaves me hunting around , trying to find fellow diamond heads that may know "tradenames or euphemisms" for this cut, as it will allow me to find them easily and even perhaps purchase and collect all of them.. as every one else seems thrilled that a radiant is just a princess with cut corners.. :/

I also seem to think that this is an original radiant since the pavilion cut , does just that.. it radiates all reflections from the center outward.. 

If I had offices in New York I would have drove to Denver Sir.. this goes slightly deeper than fire and brilliance and sparkly wedding bell type things..

Appreciate you taking your time to join me on this search.. and replying to me in such a down to earth straight cut manner.. ! :)) .. hehe, makes me feel like I actually may know something haahhaha ..

warm regards,

Irfaan

‘Brilliant’, in GIA lingo, means the pavilion features long facets that extend from the culet towards the girdle around the entire perimeter of the stone. That’s as opposed to step cuts or other variations that are distinctly different configurations.  This is a brilliant cut. 'Square' has to do with the length to width ratio.  Yours is 1.05:1, which I think is their limit.  More than that and it becomes rectangular.  At GIA nearly everything is 'modified' and I'm not sure what pegged you here but, if nothing else, I think the cut-corners will do it.  

‘Princess’, by the way, is another branded cut that gets their name abused by the trade.  You’ll never catch GIA using that word either.

You're welcome to visit but I"ll warn you, New York to Denver is a long drive.  26 hours of highway time.  

Edited by denverappraiser
  • Like 1

Hello Irfaan, I'm surprised that Stan Grossbard (and yes, it was his father Henry who patented the cut) has not answered your queries; he is justifiably proud (if quite proprietorial!) of the "Original Radiant", and still cuts them. I am equally surprised that you could not find more Original Radiants on his site: he's got 158 listed here: http://www.radiantcut.com/c/shop---diamonds-411?Filters=Carat&page=1

Re: GIA: sometimes a true mistake is made; sometimes, it's just a question of finding a pattern that best matches the cutting scheme - but even GIA does not have all of them. Here for example is a fairly common variation on the pattern above: the mains are rotated so that they meet the girdle in a different way - possibly to avoid a bow-tie in the middle of a longer and shallower stone:

gia report

Edited by davidelevi

On ‎2017‎/‎10‎/‎07 at 10:42 PM, denverappraiser said:

‘Brilliant’, in GIA lingo, means the pavilion features long facets that extend from the culet towards the girdle around the entire perimeter of the stone. That’s as opposed to step cuts or other variations that are distinctly different configurations.  This is a brilliant cut. 'Square' has to do with the length to width ratio.  Yours is 1.05:1, which I think is their limit.  More than that and it becomes rectangular.  At GIA nearly everything is 'modified' and I'm not sure what pegged you here but, if nothing else, I think the cut-corners will do it.  

‘Princess’, by the way, is another branded cut that gets their name abused by the trade.  You’ll never catch GIA using that word either.

You're welcome to visit but I"ll warn you, New York to Denver is a long drive.  26 hours of highway time.  

Thank you Mr Beaty for all the input, much appreciated kind Sir..

Take care , hopefully we'll chat a lot more on here.. Regards,

Irfaan

On ‎2017‎/‎10‎/‎07 at 11:02 PM, davidelevi said:

Hello Irfaan, I'm surprised that Stan Grossbard (and yes, it was his father Henry who patented the cut) has not answered your queries; he is justifiably proud (if quite proprietorial!) of the "Original Radiant", and still cuts them. I am equally surprised that you could not find more Original Radiants on his site: he's got 158 listed here: http://www.radiantcut.com/c/shop---diamonds-411?Filters=Carat&page=1

Re: GIA: sometimes a true mistake is made; sometimes, it's just a question of finding a pattern that best matches the cutting scheme - but even GIA does not have all of them. Here for example is a fairly common variation on the pattern above: the mains are rotated so that they meet the girdle in a different way - possibly to avoid a bow-tie in the middle of a longer and shallower stone:

gia report

hahaha Mr Levi..

I'm actually 2 minded about bow ties.. ive seen some really pretty marquise bow ties.. they grow on you,

Love your site, I was tempted to ask about the color parcel before I read that it was broken up.. haha,

Shana Tova for the upcoming year..

Regards,

Irfaan