Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
chris_1994

Should I buy this 0.90ct diamond?

Hi everyone,

I am searching for an engagement ring and am considering buying the below GIA diamond for $4,900:

0.90ct / G / S1 / Pol:EX / Sym:EX / Cut:EX / Flr:N / 6.26x6.29x3.75 / Dep:59.80 / Tab:60.00

What do you guys think? From what the jeweler told me, the ring has a fantastic cut and for my budget G/S1 is my best bet.

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Chris

Nothing wrong based on what you've listed.  That's a very popular set of specs.... Probably THE most popular. Is it priced right?  That depends.  There are 99 comparable stones offered in the database here alone, and all but 1 of them are cheaper than that, some by quite a bit.  That doesn't mean it's a bad deal, but it deserves a discussion with the jeweler.  Jewelers offer things like convenience, safety, setting, warranties and a variety of other benefits that can be valuable, but I would ask and decide for yourself.  

https://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=0.90&fCaratHi=0.92&fColorLo=G&fColorHi=G&fClarityLo=SI1&fClarityHi=SI1&fCutLo=exc&fCutHi=exc&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=ideal&fSymHi=exc&fPolLo=ideal&fPolHi=exc&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=none&fFlrHi=none&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&fLabGIA=1&adv=1

Hello, thank you very much for your response - I appreciate it.

The jeweler has included the setting/band in the price, and has assured me that if there if my girlfriend doesn't like it, we could go back and have it changed.

Depending on what the setting is, this may or may not change the answer... a decent setting can be bought for ~$250 including the labour for setting the stone: https://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/solitaire-engagement-ring-white-gold_19787?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample and the sky's the limit.

IF you can, before committing to "that" stone, ask the jeweller to show you a few more examples - while as Neil said there is nothing wrong with the specs, there will be different looks that may appeal more (for example, I almost certainly prefer stones with a smaller table).

5 minutes ago, davidelevi said:

IF you can, before committing to "that" stone, ask the jeweller to show you a few more examples - while as Neil said there is nothing wrong with the specs, there will be different looks that may appeal more (for example, I almost certainly prefer stones with a smaller table).

That is a very diplomatic statement Davide and certainly more appropriate than what I was thinking.  The proportions here are the classic premium cut of 60/60.  Both Davide and I prefer the more brilliant ideal-type of cut with a slightly greater depth and a smaller table.  This is very personal though and it is worth your seeing the two side by side to determine your own preference.

3 hours ago, davidelevi said:

Depending on what the setting is, this may or may not change the answer... a decent setting can be bought for ~$250 including the labour for setting the stone: https://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/solitaire-engagement-ring-white-gold_19787?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample and the sky's the limit.

Mostly jewelry stores charge more than $250 for a setting , especially if it includes sizing and setting labor.  I"ve never counted it a good idea to beat up the setter over that last $50 on a $5000 purchase.  Frankly I would expect a ring like that to add more like $500.  

1 hour ago, denverappraiser said:

Mostly jewelry stores charge more than $250 for a setting , especially if it includes sizing and setting labor.  I"ve never counted it a good idea to beat up the setter over that last $50 on a $5000 purchase.  Frankly I would expect a ring like that to add more like $500.  

... all the more reason to consider the pros and cons of shopping through non-high-street stores if budget is a concern...

That too is pretty mainstream.  There's nothing wrong with that, but it means that pretty much any jeweler can get something about like it, which makes it relatively easy to shop.  Pricing on it will have a lot to do with the details like number and grades of diamonds, style of manufacturing, and branding.  Blue Nile is generally pretty aggressive in their pricing and they make for a decent benchmark on this kind of decision. Petite Pavé Diamond Engagement Ring in 14k White Gold (1/4 ct. tw.)

It does seem a tad high on price. I would try to at least negotiate getting it set for free if not more. Whiteflash only charges 100 for setting the stone. Also, ask for an ideal scope image at the least just to evaluate light potential leakages. If it's 3x its at least a pretty decent cut so you don't need to worry as much about symmetry.