Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Cervelogal

Need guidance on navigating awful authorized retailer

Cervelogal    0

My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring ...we decided on A tension set ring designed by danhov. We did thorough research etc. the only authorized retailer (AR) for Danhov in Canada close to where we live is in Edmonton. So we made several trips up to review and my fiancé made the final choice on diamond etc. The AR sized me several times and we advocated for it knowing tension sets are not easily resizable if at all. I was sized by Amour Jewellwrs to be a 5.5. My partner orders the ring in that size and when we get it it’s profoundly huge. So we have Amour double check it was for sure a 5.5. This is where things have gone sideways. So the original sales lady we dealt with was great, not pushy, informative etc. but now b/c we had such a misized ring we had to deal with the store manager(?owner) “jay”. We explained that his sales associates did all my sizing & he got to see how huge the ring was on my finger. Jay immediately asked if I lost a ton of weight. He then stated his goldsmith would “take itdown a bit” and “dinner was on him” and “don’t stress it’s not a big deal...we’ll just take a chunk out” . We declined knowing the warranty would be void if danhov didn’t fix it. At this point danhov told us the ring had to be remade as it cannot be sized. Danhov was agreeable to remaking the ring however it was at our cost. Amour (jay) was adamant I lost weight therefore their sizing was not off. So wanting to move forward we paid it. Amour resized me and their advice was to get a size 5. The tension set ring we had purchased was noticed to be slightly oval which I brought forward that could be causing the ring to fit larger. With all the ring sizers the smallest my finger could fit was a 5.25.  But considering how big the ring was we sized it to a 5. Amour frays 4 wks sending out the ring (jay tells us he was getting us the best deal) then the ring was with danhov for 6 wks. We get the ring and it’s obviosly quite big still. I’m feeling super frustrated at this point and Jay continues to accuse me of losing weight (I haven’t budged a pound...if anything have gained!). We contact danhov directly about our frustrations and they agree to work with us directly. They send me a mock ring in a 4.5 to wear for a month or so. I do so and we agree on a TIGHT 4.75 to help clear my knuckle. Next problem we need to ship our ring back to danhov and we live in Canada. Couldn’t find a shipper to insure the ring, and customs was also an issue ...we have to ship ring back via Amour. So we drop our ring and the mock ring off at Amour Sept 20th and the girls assured me they were aware of the situation and it’d be shipped immediately....however only today did Jay call us stating he HASNT shipped the ring. He’s also adamant we should pay for the next remake etc and I’m adamant that we will not as I feel they clearly have not been aware of their products as danhov made it very clear for tension sets they send out mock rings to ensure proper fit (which was never suggested by Amour/jay). We’ve spent 10k on the original ring nvm the additional costs that we feel shouldn’t have been our responsibility especially if they knew their products. So sorry this is so long winded. Can someone provide us with guidance on dealing with this Jay? We’ve purchased jewelry at reputable places and I wear other rings with no issues, so I know my fingers aren’t wonky shaped etc. 

cursing in Canada...ready to take our diamond and split :( 

Your complaint seems to boil down to two issues.

1)      What’s your correct size?

2)      Who is responsible for the previously wrong answer(s) to the above?

As far as I can tell, neither of these has actually been resolved.  It further sounds like Danhov will be happy to take care of you, as long as they’re paid.  By someone.  That’s the conversation to have with Jay.  He may not end up agreeing with you, but wrapping in Danhof, and FedEx, and Canada, and us for that matter, is just distracting from the underlying problem.

Cervelogal    0

Yes that’s exactly the 2 issues. Jay is adamant about my finger size and doesn’t seem to acknowledge or understand when we bring up the engagement ring is oval (which could be contributing to the mismatch in sizing) he just keeps repeating that the ring is size 5 but when on the sizer we’ve pointed out how there’s several mm gap from the diamond cutlet to the ring sizer. Jay also changes the price every time we speak and will not acknowledge that the mis sized ring is their responsibility. I think we just need some guidance...we’re aware it boils down to 2 issues, however Jay is adamant there’s no issue even tho he’ll say the ring is very large on my finger. 

Edited by Cervelogal

Is there another Danhof dealer you can visit to answer question #1?  Danhof may be able to help you find one. You're right that different designs fit a little differently and it's important to work out the correct size for THAT particular ring.  It's also perhaps worth noting that your standard of 'tight 4.75' is a bit unreasonable.  1/4 size is within the fluff of what you had for lunch, the temperature, and the time of the month, and 1/8 size (the boundary between tight 4.75 and loose 4.5) is ridiculous.  Many/most stores will only allow specification to 1/2 size.  

It doesn't sound like the store is eager to pay, and it's going to come down to the contract you have with them.  Look over the paperwork carefully and see what the warranty and terms/conditions say.  If he's not going to do it because he's nice or just general guilt, that's what you have to hang your hat on.  

As Neil said, fingers do tend to shrink and swell due to a number of factors.  Natural cycles, diet, exercise, temperature, humidity, etc...  Having said that, if the store who is selling you the ring is the same store that sized your finger, I don't see how they can get sway from making good on their service. 1/4 size fluctuations are normal but a ring that is a 1/4 size too big is not "huge".  Fingers are not actually round and the oval shape should not play that big a roll.  If they are an authorized dealer, then they should know how to size you correctly for that particular ring.  If the size is close, I usually tell my customers to wear the ring for a few days.  Most of the time, their fingers go through enough of a cycle for them to discover that at times the ring will feel loose and at others, tight. This is normal.  But if the ring just does not fit, I don't see how this is not the store's responsibility.

Cervelogal    0

Danhov actually recommended the tight 4.75 since the mock 4.5 was very very difficult to get over my knuckle. So we agreed with their recommendation, this wasn’t us making that decision. Unfortunately the only other Danhov retailer is estern Canada and then the states. No the ring would fall off at size 5 unless it was +30 degrees and I had something salty to eat haha...otherwise the ring was consistently too big. We’ll review our contract again, but ultimately if Jay continues to say no...is that something we have to accept? I’ve never had ring sizing “issues” until this..

I’m no lawyer, and particularly not a Canadian lawyer, but I would expect that what they need to deliver is what it says in the contract they need to deliver.  If it says 5.5, then 5.5 is what they’re obligated to.  There are some complications, like margins of error and the fact that they are the ones who picked the size, but most jewelers are pretty cooperative about this issue.  I’m a little surprised he’s fighting you over it.  Danhof is another one that I would expect to be cooperative.  They want to be paid for their work, and they don’t want to throw their dealers under the bus, but they like happy consumers.  This doesn’t seem insurmountable. 

Edited by denverappraiser