Round Brilliant

Effervescent11

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what everyone thinks of this stone. The seller is asking for just under $13,500 USD. Should I worry about it being eye clean? I'm awaiting a video, but the black inclusion under the table worries me. The Aset and Ideal scope images look good to me and the HCA tool gave it a 1.1. It appears for the cut it is priced low compared to other ones I've seen. Is something wrong with it?

Details.png

B2CASet.jpg

B2CHearts.jpg

B2CArrows.png

Just 2 technical notes:

1. Apparent magnification (on my 13" screen) is about 20x. This is not only way more than unaided eye, but it's way more than a typical jeweller's loupe. The size of the inclusion is (scaling things appropriately) about 0.2 mm... i.e. at the threshold of visibility for the unaided eye at 30 cm.

2. The inclusion is a cloud - this means that at 10x it resolves into multiple, tightly clustered inclusions that are however not identifiable individually. Translated: it's grey, not really black.

Both together mean it's really not a concern.

The stone is cut very well - some minor cleaving on the hearts may have the purists scoff, but if it comes for $2-3000 less than a super-premium cut, it would be welcome in my house!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, davidelevi said:

Just 2 technical notes:

1. Apparent magnification (on my 13" screen) is about 20x. This is not only way more than unaided eye, but it's way more than a typical jeweller's loupe. The size of the inclusion is (scaling things appropriately) about 0.2 mm... i.e. at the threshold of visibility for the unaided eye at 30 cm.

2. The inclusion is a cloud - this means that at 10x it resolves into multiple, tightly clustered inclusions that are however not identifiable individually. Translated: it's grey, not really black.

Both together mean it's really not a concern.

The stone is cut very well - some minor cleaving on the hearts may have the purists scoff, but if it comes for $2-3000 less than a super-premium cut, it would be welcome in my house!

I apologize for my OCD, but how does it compare to this: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3172036.htm? This is the closest one I could find in specs from BGD and WF. 

From my novice review, it seems the stone I picked out has better cutting and light performance. Having said that, I reiterate that this is my first purchase and I know nothing. 

1 hour ago, davidelevi said:

Yes, the B2C is a better cut diamond than the last WF one... then again, the WF is part of their "expert selection", which is not quite as stringent a selection as the "A Cut Above" range (and to be honest, I'm surprised it even makes it to "ES").

Thank you so much for all your help! You have helped me save at least $5,000 AND increased the size of my diamond from when I first started posting here. Your advice and expertise is very appreciated! 

2 minutes ago, LaurentGeorge said:

Both are well cut but the B2C stone is the better of the two.  Do they provide a face shot of the stone so you can better determine the intensity of the imperfection?  The reflector images make the cloud look more like a black crystal.

Here it is. B2C does not take very good photos compared to the other online vendors, but it looks ok to me. I'm waiting for a video. 

B2C.png

It is deep into the stone, which is good. What is not good is that I expected it to be much lighter... I'd still guess it's eye-clean seen from the top (magnification in the video is ~15x AND the stone is loose; having a setting will make things much more difficult to spot), and it can be hidden under a prong from the side, but it's less clean than I expected it to be.

3 possible action plans, from most to least risky:

1. Trust B2C, and have the stone set and another video made. Then it's final decision time

2. Send the stone to a US-based appraiser (to get a neutral perspective, rather than the view of someone who has a horse in the race) who can look at it, put it into a temporary mount if necessary to assess and ship it on - or ship it back to B2C without you having to go through the import-and-VAT-refund palaver.

3. Back to BGD...

• Like 1

So I saw the diamond on Saturday. I could not find the inclusion initially at all, even with a 30x loupe. I then greased it all up with my hands and I was able to find the inclusion, but with difficulty, because the darn thing was so sparkly. I had to look hard at it a few inches from my face to find the inclusion. My eyes hurt after focusing on it.

Anyway, I decided it was not worth an extra $5K+ to get rid of such an insignificant speck that I will probably never see. Actually, after seeing it in person, I'm a bit concerned that it looks too big and flashy, but too late now. :P

It's been sent to BGD to get set in the Anita setting. On an unrelated note, couriering diamonds is very expensive. I spent $250 shipping the darn thing, but $250 for peace of mind is worth it. It was also cool to see it loose before it was set. I was able to read the AGS inscription with the loupe. 

A big thank you to Davide! You made this whole process a lot easier with your advice. 

Congrats on picking a stone!  Just so you know, you should not worry about the stone being too big.  They have a tendency to shrink over time.  Not physically but perceptively.  The stone will look huge when she first puts it on.  After a week it will fit just right and a few years later it will be too small. ;)

• Like 1

Congratulations!!!

Glad to have been of help - would you mind posting a photo or two once you get the ring? I'm really curious to see what it looks like!!!

On it being too big and flashy - don't worry. All diamonds are known to shrink and evaporate relatively quickly. The effect is only manifest to the owner's eyes, but it is undeniable. ;)

58 minutes ago, davidelevi said:

Congratulations!!!

Glad to have been of help - would you mind posting a photo or two once you get the ring? I'm really curious to see what it looks like!!!

On it being too big and flashy - don't worry. All diamonds are known to shrink and evaporate relatively quickly. The effect is only manifest to the owner's eyes, but it is undeniable. ;)

I'll post pics of the ring once I get it, but here are some pictures of the diamond. First time trying diamond photography and I must admit it is hard, especially on a cell phone with horrible hotel lighting. 

IMG-20170924-WA0002.jpg.eac06484c8230cac473c6556b1a584ae.jpgIMG-20170924-WA0003.jpg.e7b2960939c245e397d226b6ffbaaaca.jpgIMG-20170923-WA0015.jpg.8dbbc5918f1f476d1d8e93c692dc4d8e.jpgIMG-20170923-WA0018.jpg.4ce97c0b3062cd6614dd4da2ca2045ea.jpg

It does sparkle!!!! And the pictures are very good, especially for a first-time attempt on a cellphone.

Some tips for photography - though mostly they apply to something other than cellphone cameras (which are great at taking some types of pictures, but not others!): 

Edited by davidelevi