Worth the money?

ashers748292

My financee wants a round solitaire engagement ring (around a carat) but everything we've come across is way beyond my budget. I found an oval solitaire that's a little under a carat and when i spoke to customer service they said an oval cut can look much bigger than a round. Is that true? This is the ring:

https://lazlo.ie/incandescent.html

and is it worth the money?

Yes it is true that generally ovals face up larger than rounds of the same weight. Whether they look as nice depends on two main factors:

1. Whether they are cut well. Ovals, unlike rounds, are not graded for cut in any reliable, widespread way, which leaves you open to getting a stone that may face up quite large, but may be dark, lifeless or looking very uneven (or all three at once).

2. Whether you (she) like the look. An oval - no matter how well cut - will not look like a round (though it may well look very nice and some people may prefer it to a round).

All this said, beware of stones that are completely ungraded by a lab, unless you know and trust the vendor (and beware of "sale prices" giving unlikely discounts: Blue Nile's average gross margin is ~20%; these guys are promising a 25% discount: either their margins are waaaay higher than they should be, or something else is amiss).

If you are thinking of spending €7,000 or so for a 1 carat round and a plain 18 kt gold solitaire like the one you linked above, you should be able to get it from a reputable vendor for that price or little more.

Edited by davidelevi
  • Like 1

I probably should have cleaned the stones off before snapping a shot, but here is an AGS 0 1.01 round stone next to a very well cut 1.03ct oval ( D62.1 T55).  There is a slight color difference between the stones (OV is D and BR is J).

Bottom line: well cut 1ct round vs well cut 1ct oval.  Which one looks bigger?59bc2a099462f_1000x72-IMG_2047-.jpg.5725826fc1eac2e29e47f7acbfe6446e.jpg

• Like 2

The oval is a hair shallow actually.  I prefer them in the 63 to 66% depth range.  This would help in the contrast but make the stone look a hair smaller.  It is still a well cut oval and worth comparing to the round.  Personally I always find rounds to look bigger that their fancy cousins when comparing well cut stones of the same carat weight.