Diamond Review of Round Brilliant with Aset and Ideal!

Effervescent11

Hello everyone,

I'm about to purchase this diamond and wanted a second opinion from all the knowledgeable people on here. This is my first diamond and I'm not quite sure I know what I'm doing. 

The diamond is a round brilliant 1.428 ct E VVS diamond. Cut, polish, symmetry all ideal. Graded by AGS. Ideal light performance. Florescence is negligible. 

Measurements are: 7.32x7.33x4.51mm

Percentages are: Depth is 61.6, Table is 56.3, Crown Angle is 34.6, Star is 50, Pavilion is 40.8, Crown is 15 and Lower Girdle is 77.

I've attached a picture of the diamond, the ideal scope and aset scope. The asking price is just under $19,000 USD. Is that a good buy or a bad one? 

Just a little about me. I'm looking for something approximately 1.5 ct. Size is not a big factor as I prefer quality. Sparkle is the most important thing. I also want an icy white looking diamond and I do not want to see inclusions even close up. Thanks in advance!

Diamond.png

Inclusion Plot.png

This seems to accomplish everything you are looking for.  Both the pictures and the numbers are excellent.  The price is in the top range for such stones, but so are all the parameters.  What is your hesitation?

The only thing we don't know numbers on is the thickness of the girdle but based on diameter comps for similar stones, I would guess it is thin to medium.

Edited by LaurentGeorge

33 minutes ago, LaurentGeorge said:

This seems to accomplish everything you are looking for.  Both the pictures and the numbers are excellent.  The price is in the top range for such stones, but so are all the parameters.  What is your hesitation?

The only thing we don't know numbers on is the thickness of the girdle but based on diameter comps for similar stones, I would guess it is thin to medium.

Yes, the girdle is thin to medium. Sorry, I didn't realize that was important.

The hesitation is from what Furqan mentioned below. Am I overpaying for something that I won't notice? Everyone keeps saying I won't notice a difference from a E to a G, but I seem to be able to. 

I have a friend whose family are jewelers show me several diamonds in store from E to G and from SI1 to VS1 at the 1 ct mark. She showed the diamonds to me one by one and I was able to tell her accurately which diamond was which face up. Even the F colour bothered me as I could see it was slightly darker. I understand that I won't be looking at the diamonds side by side, but I could tell the slight colour face up with the stone alone in the same clarity category. She was amazed.

With respect to the clarity, she showed me Es from VS1 to SI1 and I preferred the VS1. It just looked brighter. I keep reading that clarity has nothing to do with the brightness of the diamond, but I could see something. I was originally going to purchase a G VS2, but after this experiment, decided against it. I think I might just have very sensitive eyes. Or is something else going on? 

Also, in case anyone is wondering, I'm not purchasing from my friend's family, because their prices and selection are not nearly as competitive as online and they understand. 

23 minutes ago, Furqan Shafi said:

Top stone. Top proportions. Gorgeous. But at 13,289 dollars per carat. At this price per carat you can also do a very decent 1.50 carat G VS1 that will look quite like E VVS2 when set and you won't see anything up close either.

What's a decent price per carat or is there no easy answer for that? I apologize if that is a very silly question. 

Also, in case it makes a difference, I'm planning on putting it in a cushion pave halo setting with pave diamonds on the band. 

Edited by Effervescent11

Colour perception is a very individual thing; most people cannot do what you can seemingly do with ease. Count yourself lucky... or maybe not! ;)

On clarity: it really has very little to do (certainly at VS vs. VVS level) with transparency and brightness; again, visual acuity is an individual blessing (or curse). However transparency is not graded (though it's not necessarily related to clarity), and you may be sensitive to that too.

$13k/carat is perfectly normal for a  top-quality 1.40 E/VVS; what I think Furqan was pointing out is that to most people a larger stone that is otherwise visually identical and costs less may be more desirable, but if you can easily see the difference between E and G, then the two stones are not visually identical and it becomes a question of genuine aesthetic preference (as opposed to "snobbery" or lack of information).

• Like 1

I think you have answered your own question in terms of color and clarity.  I have met a few people who easily saw color in F and G stones.  It's impressive but it forces them in to higher colors.  The clarity thing might be a little more subjective but if you are convinced you are able to see VS inclusions with your naked eye, you have again answered your own question.

14 minutes ago, Effervescent11 said:

The hesitation is from what Furqan mentioned below. Am I overpaying for something that I won't notice? Everyone keeps saying I won't notice a difference from a E to a G, but I seem to be able to. 

You clearly notice these so why are you questioning yourself?

Can you get a bigger cheaper stone?  Yes.  Will you be happy with it?  Only you can answer.  Furquan would.  I probably would too.  Most people would but you may not.  The price on that stone is a little on the higher side but it's an all around gorgeous stone.

Edited by LaurentGeorge
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, davidelevi said:

Colour perception is a very individual thing; most people cannot do what you can seemingly do with ease. Count yourself lucky... or maybe not! ;)

On clarity: it really has very little to do (certainly at VS vs. VVS level) with transparency and brightness; again, visual acuity is an individual blessing (or curse). However transparency is not graded (though it's not necessarily related to clarity), and you may be sensitive to that too.

$13k/carat is perfectly normal for a  top-quality 1.40 E/VVS; what I think Furqan was pointing out is that to most people a larger stone that is otherwise visually identical and costs less may be more desirable, but if you can easily see the difference between E and G, then the two stones are not visually identical and it becomes a question of genuine aesthetic preference (as opposed to "snobbery" or lack of information).

1 minute ago, LaurentGeorge said:

I think you have answered your own question in terms of color and clarity.  I have met a few people who easily saw color in F and G stones.  It's impressive but it forces them in to higher colors.  The clarity think might be a little more subjective but if you are convinced you are able to see VS inclusions with your naked eye, you have again answered your own question.

You clearly notice these so why are you questioning yourself?

Can you get a bigger cheaper stone?  Yes.  Will you be happy with it?  Only you can answer.  Furquan would.  I probably would too.  Most people would but you may not.  The price on that stone is a little on the higher side but it's an all around gorgeous stone.

Thank you for your comments. It is honestly a curse. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and couldn't see anything from D to G, so I thought I was okay, until I tried it in person. I'm not really a size person, I just like sparkle thus the excellent cutting. My hand is small, so even a 1.5 is looking sizeable PLUS I have the halo. I don't want it overly large, or I won't be comfortable wearing it everywhere. I don't mind paying more, I guess my question was more if the diamond is overpriced. 

Also, I just want to clear something up, I cannot see the inclusions with a naked eye (I am not Superwoman :P). The best way I can describe it is brightness of the diamond. The lower the clarity, the less bright it looked to me. I couldn't actually see any inclusions in the VS1/VS2. 

Is the diamond overpriced? No.

19 minutes ago, Effervescent11 said:

Also, I just want to clear something up, I cannot see the inclusions with a naked eye (I am not Superwoman :P). The best way I can describe it is brightness of the diamond. The lower the clarity, the less bright it looked to me. I couldn't actually see any inclusions in the VS1/VS2. 

In that case it was more a question of cut than clarity.  Chance are the lower clarity stones you saw were not as nicely cut and the higher ones.  It just worked out that way.

• Like 1

I don't think it's overpriced - it's top quality in many ways and priced accordingly.

(I also don't think that what you were seeing as "brightness" had anything to do with clarity; it's more likely due to the proportions of the individual diamonds, or just possibly with their transparency - which is not the same as clarity).

ETA: I swear that Laurent and I do NOT agree in advance what we are going to write within a few seconds of each other. :D

Edited by davidelevi
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, LaurentGeorge said:

Is the diamond overpriced? No.

In that case it was more a question of cut than clarity.  Chance are the lower clarity stones you saw were not as nicely cut and the higher ones.  It just worked out that way.

4 hours ago, davidelevi said:

I don't think it's overpriced - it's top quality in many ways and priced accordingly.

(I also don't think that what you were seeing as "brightness" had anything to do with clarity; it's more likely due to the proportions of the individual diamonds, or just possibly with their transparency - which is not the same as clarity).

ETA: I swear that Laurent and I do NOT agree in advance what we are going to write within a few seconds of each other. :D

Hi guys,

I asked my friend what the cut quality were on her stones. They were triple excellent from GIA, but not hearts and arrows, so you may be right about the cut affecting what I called "brightness".

Based on your advice, I decided to try lowering my specs a bit. I did a quick search on WhiteFlash and BGD and I saw these two contenders:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.528-f-si1-round-diamond-ags-104095011008

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3802921.htm

I'm sacrificing a bit of colour, but I think I could live with an F. The inclusion plots look scary, when you go down in clarity. What do you guys think? What looks better in terms of price and quality? Thank you!

Edited by Effervescent11

I wouldn't worry about what the inclusion plot looks like: its main purpose is to help in identifying the stone, not to provide an indication as to how visible inclusions are to the naked eye (even to an eagle eye like yours). I'd much rather trust Brian Gavin's opinion that it's eye clean (verify with them how they checked it - they are very reliable and honest, but they may well use standards and checks that are different from what you need!).

In terms of quality both are stunningly well cut - as was the first one. Price-wise, I think it's a question of deciding whether you are happy running the (in my view limited) risk of seeing the inclusions, or paying $1,000 more in "insurance" and getting a VS2.

5 hours ago, davidelevi said:

I wouldn't worry about what the inclusion plot looks like: its main purpose is to help in identifying the stone, not to provide an indication as to how visible inclusions are to the naked eye (even to an eagle eye like yours). I'd much rather trust Brian Gavin's opinion that it's eye clean (verify with them how they checked it - they are very reliable and honest, but they may well use standards and checks that are different from what you need!).

In terms of quality both are stunningly well cut - as was the first one. Price-wise, I think it's a question of deciding whether you are happy running the (in my view limited) risk of seeing the inclusions, or paying $1,000 more in "insurance" and getting a VS2.

So you would suggest going with the Brian Gavin stone? It is substantially cheaper than the first stone I selected and I am planning to get a setting from him anyway. I'm just worried of seeing inclusions a few inches from my face. 

Edited by Effervescent11

6 hours ago, davidelevi said:

22 minutes ago, LaurentGeorge said:

As Davide suggests, have a conversation with him.  He has an impeccable reputation and you can trust his eyes.

Thank you both so much. I really appreciate it. I contacted BG and they advised the diamond is eye clean even a few inches away from the face, because the inclusions are light in colour. They also gave me some candid pictures. 

1528FSI1.JPG

1528FSI1-2.JPG