Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Joseph Kerr

A little help please guys

Joseph Kerr    0

Hi guys,

I've ordered myself a diamond from BN. Thought I'd done enough research but it turns out I certainly had not! I assumed given it had a good HCA score and was GIA "excellent" that would be enough. I'm a little concerned with the depth. Is this going to look terrible and should I just cut my losses and cancel it now and look for something better? I imagine getting a 2carat H VS1-2 with completely perfect dimensions is going to add several thousand to the cost. However will it be majorly noticeable? 

Heres the dimensions of the one I've ordered:

2carat round brilliant cut GIA excellent

7.92x8.03x5.04

table 55%

Depth 63.2%

crown angle 35.5

pav angle 40.6

Heres a link. https://www.bluenile.com/uk/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD08778769

any feedback much appreciated - I've been driving myself crazy with worry!

Edited by Joseph Kerr

Furqan Shafi    19

As far as the proportions are concerned, No it's not going to look terrible, or bad, or even slightly bad. But I know where your fears are coming from. Stop reading. Stop browsing forums. Wait for your diamond and look at it and then decide if it looks terrible. If it's terrible you will know.

• Like 1

Furqan Shafi    19

Okay so you wrote in your post the depth is 62.3 and the website says it's 63.2. both are very different. Your stone is a very strong fluorescence. That's a bigger concern than the depth. I don't recommend buying Strong and very strong fluorescing stone with out looking at them IRL and in different lighting conditions. But nothing to say it's a terrible stone.

Joseph Kerr    0

Ah yeah that was a typo - albeit a significant one. It should be 63.2 

I hadn't even thought about the fluorescence as I'd had conflicting advice about that being of minimal importance compared to other factors! Seems I am even more ignorant than I thought. 

I assume I could probably do better for my price point - would I be better off putting my budget up slightly or is that going to make minimal difference. I can probably stretch to £18k max

Furqan Shafi    19

I have seen the stones video. It looks beautiful to me. Since it's deeper it means it has slightly lesser spread. But usually that's Incorporated in the pricing. Like I said more significant issue is the fluorescence. And especially a very strong one. Also what colour is fluorescence? I assume blue. I haven't seen the report though. But if its yellow or green or white fluorescence then all the more recommended to view the stone personally and view in all possible lighting conditions especially out in the sun.

davidelevi    454

Just to reinforce Furqan's message: there is nothing to say it will look terrible (or even "not so good"). This said, there are some questions on fluorescence and some aspects of proportions that need investigating: that's why this particular stone was priced "several thousands" below stones with a paper record beyond reproach. 

The right way to investigate is to see the diamond - she isn't going to wear a copy of the HCA (which has its own problems) or the GIA report: she is going to wear the ring, and you and others will see it 99.99% of the time with your unaided eyes, not with a microscope or an ASET viewer. Blue Nile gives you 30 days to make up your mind on whether to keep the stone: use them!

Joseph Kerr    0

Thanks guys 

Yeah I thought that would be the case - it may turn out to look pretty good, or it might be mediocre, I suppose you can get bogged down with angles and other info but what really matters is what it looks like in person. Was just hoping I could avoid having the problems with sending it back.

This diamond business is complicated stuff! I feel sorry for the people who just buy a ring for a normal high street retailer without doing any research at all - they must get totally ripped off!

davidelevi    454

Well... there's a number of ways to get bogged down: one is the technical details, the other is that Blue Nile provides very limited info on the stones they sell (though they have improved over the last couple of years), so one has little to go on other than the paper and seeing things. Partial consolation - I hope - is that if you need to return it, BN's return process is straightforward and cheap; in some countries (not sure about the UK) they even pay for the return courier.

I missed your question here:

7 hours ago, Joseph Kerr said:

I assume I could probably do better for my price point - would I be better off putting my budget up slightly or is that going to make minimal difference. I can probably stretch to £18k max

The answer (well, my answer anyway) is another depends... and it depends on what the totally fixed, non-negotiable points of your specs are. For example, staying just below 2 carats may enable you to get a stone that is as visually large as this one, though less deep, but is better cut (on paper) and has no fluorescence-linked uncertainty (BTW, on fluoro: once you see the stone in natural light, you KNOW if there is a problem or not) for the same price. Does this appeal?

All this said, look here what I found: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/9507110/round-diamond-H-color-VS1-Clarity?sku=9507110&utm_source=diamondreview.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=diamondreview.com

This should come to around £18k incl. VAT.

Joseph Kerr    0

Thanks Davide - that is a pretty awesome stone, I'll have to enquire about importing and vat, as think the standard price in dollars equates to around £16k not including Vat/shipping etc. Shame you cant seem to get that quality via UK based sites!

davidelevi    454

Duty to an EU country is 0% on loose stones, and 2.5% on mounted ones. UK VAT is (as you know) 20% on stone + setting (if any) price + duty (if any) + shipping charges. Ask B2C if they can help (for example by quoting zero shipping charges).

Importing a diamond is very straightforward - the courier takes care of clearance. Keep all paperwork, just in case you need to return, you can get VAT and duty back.

Edited by davidelevi

Joseph Kerr    0

Thanks for your help!

How obvious is it when a diamond looks hazy due to its fluorescence?  And does it need to be sunshine to show this? Given I live in the U.K. and sunlight is in short supply in September!

davidelevi    454

It is quite obvious, especially if you look at it carefully in a UV-free environment first, then take it out.

You don't need blazing sunshine - in fact you don't want sunshine; you want indirect sunlight. A typical bright day in the UK (not necessarily sunny, just not thick clouds) will do perfectly - this morning was quite nice as I was driving to Reading!