Choosing From Two Potential Picks

kevinlikl

Dear all

I have been browsing in James Allen for a diamond + ring setting for my proposal and I am down to two potential diamonds now, hope you guys can give me some comments as to which one is a better choice in terms of the stone quality : 

GIA  7256860495

GIA  7242006703

Thanks x millions

Just to thoroughly mess things up, I'd go for 7256860495 because I like high(er) crowns, but the other one is as well cut as they come (on paper!). The real problem is that at the level of these two stones, the info on the report is not sufficient to discriminate, and the role of personal taste/preference increases significantly, even in the presence of more "technical" information (reflector images, 3D scans).

May I ask why E/IF? You do know that once set, no-one is going to be able to tell the difference from G/VVS2, don't you? (Though your wallet will!)

7223246706 - 

1166600222 - cost £1.3k more

Hi all, I would like some advice too please.  The above diamonds are eye clean. The first is much cleaner with no inclusions on the table .The second has a better cut and colour. Which should I choose? I keep looking online and the second has the super ideal cut.  Will it really have so much better light return, fire and scintillation to make up for the costs and inclusions in the table? Help please!

Kim 

Thanks, Kim. It's not so much about etiquette as confusion - most people have similar questions on choice of stone, and figuring out who is advising what when the questions are very similar quickly becomes confusing. I have deleted my reply above, and copied it on your new thread.

Just to thoroughly mess things up, I'd go for 7256860495 because I like high(er) crowns, but the other one is as well cut as they come (on paper!). The real problem is that at the level of these two stones, the info on the report is not sufficient to discriminate, and the role of personal taste/preference increases significantly, even in the presence of more "technical" information (reflector images, 3D scans).

May I ask why E/IF? You do know that once set, no-one is going to be able to tell the difference from G/VVS2, don't you? (Though your wallet will!)

I thought I would need IF to get a nice sparkles and fire...would VVS1 or VVS2 suffice for a ring setting?  For G color, I was a bit afraid the stone would appear yellow because my girl friend dislike yellowish diamonds a lot.  

And thanks a lot for your reply!

G is white. All the white you will ever see.

VS1 is clean. All the clean you will ever need.

Good sparkle comes from cut and cut precision. Proportions on your stone are pretty good. I'm guessing you've done your homework on internet to end up with Stones with those numbers.

Compare prices on E If v/s G VS1 (similar proportions). And if that's a significant amount for you and you could use that to get a bigger diamond or a better ring setting?

Furqan said it - not much to add, other than perhaps a suggestion to go out and see some more diamonds: you may be surprised at how small SI (never mind VVS) inclusions can be, and how white G or even H stones can look if they are well cut. Just make sure that the grading is reliable (which more or less means GIA, AGS and HRD, plus some IGI - though cut grading from HRD and IGI is... meh!).

• 4 weeks later...