Advice Needed Asap! Please Help :(

Tc42155n

Hey everyone,

So I actually have a really unique situation and sad situation! My original diamond fell out of my engagement ring when I was in Spain on my honeymoon!!!! I was devastated. Thank goodness we have insurance and now I'm trying to replace it with something similar. I had a 2.54 H color SI1 diamond and wanted to know if you guys think this would be a suitable replacement? Blue Nile recommended it and informed me it was definitely eye clean but I don't know ? Any advice ASAP would be helpful since insurance needs info immediately. Thanks so much! Below are 2 links.  The first one says unavailable at the top but if you scroll down you can see all the info.  The second is a video :)

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08706745

http://hdfiles.in/hd.aspx?stoneid=1823080021&sid=645344&rid=0&p=14822&b=none&a=7&avid=22&acid=0

Shape
Round
Cutïš
Ideal
Colorïš
H
Clarityïš
SI1
Length/width ratioïš
Depth %ïš
60.8%
Table %ïš
58.0%
Polishïš
Excellent
Symmetryïš
Excellent
Girdleïš
Medium to Slightly Thick
Culetïš
None
Fluorescenceïš
None
Measurements
8.77 x 8.78 x 5.34 mm

-Tiffany

Edited by Tc42155n

Hello Tiffany, welcome to DiamondReview!

From the video, I would say that it is very likely to be clean seen from the top - the inclusions are scattered rather than concentrated in one area, and the main grading characteristic (a crystal + feather combination) seems to be transparent and located off-centre. Unfortunately the only real test is for you to see it when it is set: "eye-cleanness" is quite dependent on personal characteristics and circumstances.

As to whether this is similar/suitable for replacement, depends very much on what you had before. It clearly matches it from a colour, clarity and weight point of view - we don't know how your lost stone was cut. This one is well cut (though the crown could be a little higher for my taste), but it may still look quite different from your old one. Do you have any records of a lab report for the lost stone?

omgosh thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly!  do you think i should try and find another diamond with a higher crown?  what does having a higher crown do?

below please find the specs from my previous diamond and if you can let me know if you think the one I showed you would be just as good in terms of just pure specs since I can't see it yet.  I really really appreciate your help!

ROUND BRILLIANT

Measurements
8.79 - 8.83 x 5.36 mm
Carat Weight
2.54 carat
Color Grade
H
Clarity Grade
SI1
Cut Grade
Excellent

PROPORTIONS

Depth
60.8 %
Table 
60 %
Crown Angle
34.0°
Crown Height
13.5%
Pavilion Angle
41.4°
Pavilion Depth
44.0%
Star Length
50%
Lower Half
80%
Girdle
Medium, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet
None    

FINISH

Polish 
Excellent
Symmetry 
Excellent

FLUORESCENCE

Fluorescence 
None

CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS

Clarity Characteristics
Twinning Wisp, Crystal, Feather, Indented Natural    

COMMENTS

Additional twinning wisps are not shown. Surface graining is not shown.

INSCRIPTION(S)

GIA 2106693414

• Like 1

You are very welcome - you did say you were in a hurry, and we aim to please! ;)

I think the replacement is cut at least as well if not better than your previous stone, and it seems a very good match for diameter and proportions (if anything, given a slightly less steep pavilion, I would expect the new diamond to be a bit brighter - at least in theory!).

Crown height is - at this level - a matter of personal preference; by and large a higher crown means more fire (coloured sparkles) and less brightness, but the two diamonds here have the same crown height, although the new one has a slightly larger crown (slightly smaller table), so you may see a few more coloured sparkles flying out of it.

If you liked your now-lost treasure, I would definitely go for this one, provided you can return/replace it if the inclusion is more visible than it appears in the video (I don't think it will be, but better safe than sorry, especially at this price/size!).

Edited by davidelevi