Newbie - Thoughts And Opinions On Choice And Price Please

Chonch12

Hello all,

I am very new to all of this and tried to do a Lot of research. I was highly recommended to work with ID Jewerly from a few different places, all agreed they are legit and will help me out.

My overall budget was $6K all in, I knew I wanted a Gabriel and Co "Rachel" halo, listed at about $2K on their site.

This was the diamond I ended on.

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.03-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2641313

Now I know the inclusion is scary but it did get a VS2 grade and I was guaranteed it was eye clean. My overall out the door price was $6K even. With this diamond and the "rachel" setting what are your thoughts? It appears I got a solid deal (about $1400 off listed) but wanted to check in with some experts such as yourselves.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Chonch12

I don't understand a few things: 

- Who is "ID Jewelry"? If you were recommended them, why did you end up at James Allen (who is a fine retailer, btw)?

- Did you end up paying $6k for the diamond alone, of for the diamond + the setting (setting which I cannot find on JA's site, BTW)?

The diamond looks fine - very nicely cut, and I would think that despite the rather prominent inclusion at 20x it will be eye-clean in reality, except possibly from some very specific angles. Some of the visibility will also depend on the setting.

The price: if you don't like it, it's not a good price, but you can return it. If you like it, and you paid 6k for the stone only it's a fair but not super price, considering the strong blue fluorescence. If you paid $6k for the diamond plus a $2k setting you got a very good price. Congratulations!

ETA: don't worry about links not working. They don't work for new users by default - too many spammers!!! Here's a working link to the stone, if anyone else wants to comment: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.03-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2641313

Edited by davidelevi

Sorry for the confusion. ID is a jeweler in NY. He uses James Alle, Blue Nile, etc to get his diamonds when someone's specifications are not in his inventory. This way he is able to custom make rings with diamonds through these sites and settings from various sources, such as Gabriel And Co.

I paid $6K total for the diamond and this setting.

https://www.gabrielny.com/engagement-ring/ER7261W44JJ

I appreciate the feedback. With it being a James Allen true Hearts, the inclusion shouldn't hurt the "sparkle" or wow factor correct? From the looks there did not seem to be much light leakage in the H&A pictures.

I was kind of surprised it got a VS2 grade with the prominent inclusions, but again I'm not an expert haha.

Thanks again! Can't wait to see it in person in a couple weeks.

No, a VS2 (or SI1) inclusion won't affect sparkle. Whether it affects the "wow" factor depends on how visible it is; this is something you can assess only by seeing the diamond in person, preferably once it has been set.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if the rather discounted price is because this is one of those rare stones that show up milky or hazy due to fluorescence. Are you getting the stone yourself and taking it to ID for setting? If so, it is worthwhile observing the stone in (diffused) natural sunlight before you have it set - any haze will become apparent... as will any need for return. If you are not sure, ask the people at ID - they should know!

As to the grading of the inclusion... well, GIA says that its expected margin of error is one grade up or down. I would call this SI1... so GIA agrees with me. ;-) (No, they don't - and they have had the benefit of seeing the diamond in person and they see lots more diamonds than I do - but I would call this a marginal VS2!)

• Like 1

So basically I worked with him on the phone and we went over a few different diamonds. After getting 3 in hand he told me this was above and beyond the best of the 3 with the "wow" factor specs and eye clean. Just with any good reputable place I have a 30 day no questions return policy, if when I get it in person it doesn't meet my standards, I think this is typical when purchasing this way... no sure

He sent me videos of the diamonds in different light and in the UV to show the flourensence of it.since its an I shouldn't the florence help not hurt? Again I am newer but from what I remember reading doesn't flourensence affect higher color diamonds?

I made it clear I was very bug in the "wow" factor and eye clean so I am hoping there will he no need to return and start my search again, but for the money so am more than happy to if I'm not satisfied.

I tried reading as much as possible on true H&A, again because I really want that "wow", and everything I hear and read JA is rather reputable so fingers crossed

Thanks for your opinion on the grading of VS2, I am big on research and love hearing (good and bad) about my choices on this kind of thing.

Sorry for the confusion. ID is a jeweler in NY. He uses James Alle, Blue Nile, etc to get his diamonds when someone's specifications are not in his inventory. This way he is able to custom make rings with diamonds through these sites and settings from various sources, such as Gabriel And Co.

Are you sure about this? ID Jewelry is a competitor of James Allen, Blue Nile, et.al.  I imagine they'll make you a ring with a stone you bought somewhere else, and they probably have some overlap in their sources so they may be able to get some of the same stones, but I don't believe it's correct that they are using these other companies as sources.  

• Like 1

I tried reading as much as possible on true H&A, again because I really want that "wow", and everything I hear and read JA is rather reputable so fingers crossed

Note 2:  'True hearts' is a JA brand name.  It's not there's anything wrong with it, and you're correct that they're a reputable company, but this is sort of like reading up on 'the ultimate driving machine' as a way of researching BMW.  Pretty much by definition, what you're reading is company propaganda.  

• Like 1

I understand and could be wrong but I know he sent me several that were on JA for consideration. It was nice because I was able to see the stone in great detail while working on the phone with him. So maybe it is both? Not 100% sure but so do know that diamond from JA is the one I am getting, but he purchased it for me, reason he was able to offer me an overall cheaper price. I'll defiantly make sure through the GIA number though.

As for the "true H&A" I guess I meant to say I was researching H&A in general. Basically what an ideascope and thode images even meant and what to look for. Not necessarily their branded true version. A few weeks back I didn't know what that even meant but I find it very interesting. But thanks for looking out, it did seem foolish the way I said it. Do you think it has a good idealscope image? It doesn't seem like much light leakage, but again I am very new

JA sells other manufacturers diamonds.  These diamonds are available for sale from the original manufacturers to all vendors each of which resell them for what they feel is enough of a mark-up to cover their costs and added value (imaging, analysis, packaging, marketing, etc...).  ID Jewelry, just like the rest of us, source from the same sources as JA, so when you see a stone listed on JA, it is likely that any one of the other vendors out there can source the same stone.  The fact that JA gave this particular stone it's "true hearts" seal of approval essentially means that the stone's proportions and performance fit within their narrow definition of what they (JA) consider the best.  That is a good thing for you because they have de facto given this stone top marks for proportion and performance.  Don't believe for a minute that this stone is being purchase from JA.  It is being purchased from a manufacturer who also sells to JA.  This is pretty much a repeat of what was said previously, but it is a point worth repeating.

• Like 1

JA sells other manufacturers diamonds.  These diamonds are available for sale from the original manufacturers to all vendors each of which resell them for what they feel is enough of a mark-up to cover their costs and added value (imaging, analysis, packaging, marketing, etc...).  ID Jewelry, just like the rest of us, source from the same sources as JA, so when you see a stone listed on JA, it is likely that any one of the other vendors out there can source the same stone.  The fact that JA gave this particular stone it's "true hearts" seal of approval essentially means that the stone's proportions and performance fit within their narrow definition of what they (JA) consider the best.  That is a good thing for you because they have de facto given this stone top marks for proportion and performance.  Don't believe for a minute that this stone is being purchase from JA.  It is being purchased from a manufacturer who also sells to JA.  This is pretty much a repeat of what was said previously, but it is a point worth repeating.

This actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it, and why he was able to get me the discount. I am sure a lot of long time jewelers have their connections within the system. Thanks!

He sent me videos of the diamonds in different light and in the UV to show the flourensence of it.since its an I shouldn't the florence help not hurt? Again I am newer but from what I remember reading doesn't flourensence affect higher color diamonds?

Fluorescence affects fluorescent diamonds... independent of their colour.

Most commonly fluorescence is blue, and blue + yellow = white, so slightly yellow stones may end up looking whiter when exposed to sufficient UV. Any artificial light source has practically zero UV (other than black light bulbs/tubes), so don't expect your I stone to look like a G inside a building, but it may (it will!) look whiter or even blue in natural lighting. Some people like the "multiple personality" effect, some don't. I do. Here are some photos illustrating the effects of fluorescence on stones: http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/9246-curious-about-diamonds-in-general/#entry46217

The other effect fluorescence has - rarely - is to make the stone look like it's filled with smoke or mist. This is not desirable for most people, and it tends to cause a significant discount in what the stone will sell for - however, it is easily detected by observing the stone in indirect sunlight and making sure it stays transparent.  

Bear in mind that "H&A" and "WOW!" are two separate things. Some people like the extremely symmetrical effect presented by a well cut H&A, some people like it less. I remain of the opinion that you (and your to-be-fiancée would be better served by seeing several diamonds "in real life" and making up your mind on what you like, rather than worrying too much about reflector images.