1100Ct Of Diamonds. Industrial?

prismtech

You could try asking people that make use of rough/natural diamonds in their jewellery. Peter Schmid (Atelier Zobel) is one, but there are plenty of others (I just happen to know Peter). There seem to be some nice colours in there, and the size also seems worthy of uses "better" than industrial.

Edited by davidelevi

You could try asking people that make use of rough/natural diamonds in their jewellery. Peter Schmid (Atelier Zobel) is one, but there are plenty of others (I just happen to know Peter). There seem to be some nice colours in there, and the size also seems worthy of uses "better" than industrial.

Hey! Thanks for the lead. Does Peter come on the boards?

That doesn't look especially like an industrial parcel to me either.  I'm sure there's a market, but I doubt that's it.  Rough diamonds is a tricky business, as I assume you know.  Is your paperwork in order?  Where are you?

I've never thought of them as rough diamonds, but clearly I guess they are. One of the jewelers who looked at the parcel mentioned that some work had been done to them. The other said he could see where some looked to of been cut and abandoned.

I'm in Canada... these diamonds were destined to be used in the manufacturing process of ball bearings. I ended up with them after the business closed down. Mixed into a lot with other abrasive material (Packaging leads me to believe they had been sitting on the shelf since the early 60's.). I have no idea what machine would use these. Polishing?

They have been here long before the paperwork requirement. I guess there are worse thing I could be stuck with. Haha.

Hey! Thanks for the lead. Does Peter come on the boards?

Not as far as I know, but you can easily contact him through his website (http://www.atelierzobel.com). I have no idea if he'd be interested, but for the cost of an email or even better a call... probably worth the attempt.

The reason why Neil was inquiring about paperwork is that it's actually quite difficult to move rough diamonds across borders without origin documentation (Kimberly process). I have no reason whatsoever to disbelieve your story, but customs officers may well take a different view, especially if there is no-one there to argue the case when the diamonds are presented for customs inspection.

I would recommend talking through things "hypothetically, if I had a couple of rough diamonds to ship, how would I go about it?", rather than being upfront about the amount. Once you are clear about what is required, and possibly have enough documentation (e.g. inventory lists from the business sale/liquidation?), then you can afford to be more open - the risk of having things seized, even if it's "temporary" and "purely for verification, you understand, Sir", is high, and it may take months to get them back into your hands

Canada is a civilized place.  That helps a lot.  Canada is a source country.  That also helps a lot.

Hang onto that packaging and any paperwork you have or can find.  It's important. 

If you don't cross a border it's a LOT easier.  Call Evert Botha at Embee Diatech in Prince Albert and see what he thinks.  No, he doesn't hang out on internet forums.  He might not even take your call, but drop my name and it might help get your call through.