Dearbornpop

Shallow Crown?

8 posts in this topic

Hello! I'm considering a diamond with the specs below. I'm wondering about the girdle size and the shallow crown? The stone looked great to me in the store -very bright and sparkly. I compared it to another GIA 3X stone and while it did sparkle less, the difference wasn't material. I'd love to hear your feedback. Please do share your thoughts!! Thanks so much for taking the time.

Measurements 6.98 – 7.02 x 4.22 mm

Carat Weight 1.28 carat

Color Grade G

Clarity Grade VS1

GIA 3 Excellent

PROPORTIONS:

Depth 60.3 %

Table 59 %

Crown Angle 33°

Crown Height 13.5%

Pavilion Angle 40.8°

Pavilion Depth 43 %

Star Length 45%

Lower Half 80%

Girdle Medium, Faceted, 4.0%

Culet None

Edited by Dearbornpop

Where did you get the notion/ that a 33 degree crown is shallow? A Crown under 30 degrees is considered shallow and in many instances is accompanied with a razor thin girdle which is susceptible to chipping and fracturing. Medium girdle is fine.

The specs on this diamond are very good and it should be a face up sparkler.

...and above all, if you like it, you like it. As long as you are paying a fair price, go for it!

...the answer is: star length. The tables on the Octonus website refer to diamonds with a 55% star, but your stone's star facets are shorter, at 45%.

If you input ALL the parameters in GIA's own cut estimator here: https://www.gia.edu/facetware (it requires registration, but it's free to use) you'll see that the cut grade comes up as "Excellent".

Edited by davidelevi
1 person likes this

33 degrees / 13.5 crown height is not a shallow crown. Who told you that?

Oh my!!! David, thank you so much!! I was wondering why this stone had a 45% star (Most of the ones I had looked at had 55%).

Furqan Shafi, i thought the 33degree crown was shallow because I was going by the crown and pavillion requirements 33.5/40.8. for a 59% table. I'm all set now!