diasearch

Need Help To Review Aset/scope Image

12 posts in this topic

1. The images are poorly taken and don't tell the whole story. The diamond may be nice face up, it may not be as nice face up. Keep in mind that these images tell you about the diamond performance face up, in a controlled environment. However these images are helpful and a diamond that has good light return face up will likely be a nice performer overall, although it's not a guarantee

2. I don't know where there are two set of images. Are these two diamonds which you are comparing? 

3. Some of the arrows in the top view don't appear black but are rather blued-out, tells me either the picture wasn't taken correctly, or there's a variation in the angles of lower half, that correctly corresponds with the under the table leakage.

We may be able to help you better if you let us know other proportions data on this diamond. While ASET and Idealscope images are helpful, they are not end of the world and more than 99% of the diamonds traded in the world don't depend on it. 

FWIW, I'm in full agreement with Furqan's comments above. If these are all images of the same diamond, one (the first top left ASET) shows a fair amount of leakage, but one (the middle right IdealScope) shows no leakage at all. The other two show something in between.

Which one is "true"? (And then we can discuss whether on-axis brightness and/or "leakage" are really measures of beauty and all that fun...).

FWIW 2, having seen the GIA report (live link: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6232106173)it seems like a very nice stone, and I'd be inclined to think that the "best" image is the real one. Can you see the stone in person before committing, or can you return it if you don't like it? If so, at what conditions?

Finally, "a good buy" depends very much on what you are looking for and how much you are being asked to pay. Some people would go for the round 2 carat, and who cares about colour and cut (get a 2.10 J/SI1 and it's cheaper than a 1.90 H/VS2); others (myself included) want foremost a nice cut, then we'll discuss the rest. And of course price: at $10,000, I'd pass over quite a few issues; at $25,000 I'd buy something else - this is probably in the middle, but where?

1 person likes this

These are all the images sent to me by the jeweler.  Does have a 30 day return policy, but I would prefer to buy when I'm sure. I am not sure if it's worth $15K. I am looking to buy atleast H color and VS2 clarity. Planned for 1.9 as the price is less compared to 2 ct. 

Edited by diasearch

I’m going to venture a guess that the images are all of the same stone under different lighting conditions.  This is a great example of how much difference the photography makes.  I’m confident it’s a bright, beautiful stone but the question on the table here is if it’s better or worse than … something.  What? 

I’m reminded that the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything is 42.  Indeed it is.  But what is the question?

I think, generally speaking, every consumer who comes here just want to know one thing: 'am I getting the right price or not' ? For which the answer is always not straightforward. 

These are all the images sent to me by the jeweler.  Does have a 30 day return policy, but I would prefer to buy when I'm sure. I am not sure if it's worth $15K. I am looking to buy atleast H color and VS2 clarity. Planned for 1.9 as the price is less compared to 2 ct. 

That’s something we can sink our teeth into.

Yes, it is.

There are 29 superficially similar stones in the database, and that’s cheaper than all but 3 of them.  That doesn’t entirely answer the question of whether it’s the best stone for YOU, but it does answer the pricing question.  Your jeweler is being highly competitive.

http://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds/?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=0&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=1.90&fCaratHi=1.99&fColorLo=H&fColorHi=H&fClarityLo=VS2&fClarityHi=VS2&fCutLo=exc&fCutHi=exc&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=ideal&fSymHi=exc&fPolLo=ideal&fPolHi=exc&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=none&fFlrHi=none&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&fLabGIA=1&adv=1

Edited by denverappraiser

Sorry about not being clear, my question was if the diamond is good one for the price or should I hunt a bit more and look for a better cut, before deciding. 

Well - I think the answer is twofold:

1. Yes, it's a very reasonable price for a diamond that - at least on paper, more controversially when looking at the images - looks very attractive. I don't think you are going to find something that is provably better cut (e.g. from a premium cut vendor) at that price point. 

2. "Good one" is relative to what you want. If you were happy to buy a diamond purely on the information in the lab report, then you could not do much better. If reflector images are your hot button, then I'd ask for some more evidence, since what you have is at least not consistent. My personal test is seeing the diamond, preferably in context (i.e. against other diamonds), and the fact that your seller has a good return policy would give me enough peace of mind to say "yes".

The problem is that reflector images, in isolation, don't tell you as much as you would like.  As you are discovering, it has a lot to do with the setup, the way the picture is taken, and sometimes even photoshop.  It works well to compare stones within the context of a particular dealer, but it's highly problematic when separated from that.