mrmcgre

Can't Decide - Engagement Ring Center Stone

7 posts in this topic

I bought my girlfriends engagement ring recently, without a center stone. We looked at a few diamonds in the store where I bought the ring and she decided she only wants a 1/2 ct round diamond, but the prices seemed extremely high compared to what I have seen online so I've been searching for the past few weeks and narrowed it down to two, which are the same price. I know stats alone don't tell the whole story, but based on the following, which would you pick of these two?

Option 1

Round Brilliant

Carat Weight: .50

Color: E

Clarity: VS2

Cut: Excellent

Depth: 61.4

Table: 57

Crown Angle: 34.5

Pavilion Angle 40.6

Crown Height: 15

Pavilion Depth 42.5

Star Length: 50

Lower Half: 75

Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick; Faceted; 4%

Cutlet: None

Polish: Very Good

Symmetry: Excellent

Fluorescence: None

Clarity Characteristics: Crystal, Feather

Option 2

Round Brilliant

Carat Weight: .52

Color: G

Clarity: VS2

Cut: Excellent

Depth: 60.3

Table: 56

Crown Angle: 33

Pavilion Angle 40.8

Crown Height: 14.5

Pavilion Depth 43

Star Length: 50

Lower Half: 75

Girdle: Thin to Medium; Faceted; 3%

Cutlet: None

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Excellent

Fluorescence: Faint

Clarity Characteristics: Crystal, Feather

All help is appreciated!

As you say, stats alone do not paint the whole picture, but based on the info you have provided, I would tend to favor the 0.50 solely because I prefer crown angles of 34.5° to the flatter 33°.  I know I'm splitting hairs and if I saw the stones side by side I might think differently, but this is my answer given what you gave us to work with.

I am a little perturbed that you purchased a ring before knowing what the center was going to be.  I like to build rings from the center out so that I know that everything is proportionate. 

Leaning to #1; should display more fire than #2.

Thank you both for your opinions! I will try to get some pictures posted of each diamond either today or tomorrow.

I was anxious about buying the ring first without the stone, but the girlfriend absolutely fell in love with it at a local jeweler and every ring we've looked at since she said just didn't compare. I let it sit there a few weeks while we kept looking but I eventually realized she wasn't going to move off of that ring and I didn't want to risk having it sell before I pulled the trigger. We did model a few different stones in the ring the last time we were there and she settled on liking the 1/2 Ct look the best (proportions-wise), which I realize I can vary slightly based on the measurements, but it's a risk I felt I had to take.

On a side note, after doing as much research as I could possibly handle, I set my basic conditions as follows for my searches:

Color: G or Better

Clarity: VS2 or Better

Polish: VG or EX

Symmetry: EX

Fluorescence: Medium or Less

What is your opinion on how the stone would be effected if I lowered any of these? Since it's only 1/2 ct, I wasn't sure if some of these conditions could be relaxed with no noticeable change to the average person, for price saving purposes. I am comfortable with the current price of the 2 stones listed above, im just curious on what you all think. Thanks!

It depends:

Is your ring a prong style or Halo/Bezel?

If prong, then you can go down to a well cut I color and it will face up white. I would even recommend J color, but you might consider that pushing the white color limit.

For halo/Bezel style rings, or rings with accent stones running down the band sides, I would cap it at G color.

Thanks again for your input! It is prong with accent stones on the band. I will try to post some pictures of the ring also.

If the sides stones are i'j, then a J color center will be perfect. If the side stones are G-H. I would stick with g-h sides as well.