Help??! Downgraded Diamond

Tropickelly

So last April we bought a 1.01 kt engagement ring for $5200, I think this was after a little discount. Well, that ring was lost before he proposed. Brought the ring out of state to propose and lost it after flight. Uninsured. Ugh. So he secrectly repurchased the ring in November, but this diamond is not the same. There is a visible flaw. I found the receipt and he purchased the diamond wedding band (did not purchase first time around) and ring for 5600 total. This was a surprise to me. I was at the firSt ring purchase and that diamond was higher grade. He said there was a special and he was able to get the ring and band for a little over what he initially paid, but now that I have my new ring I can see a flaw. Found the paper work and it's an HI- I1 diamond when I knw my last was higher grade. Do I say something???! I'm so torn, because so far we've paid 11k for this ring since we bought it twice, but I'm also pissed about the quality. Advice

It's not particularly surprising that a correctly graded I1 has a visible inclusion. There are other parts of your story that concern me as well (for example, assuming it's not a typo, the fact that the colour they gave you is a split grade H-I).

I can understand your dilemma, but if you are unhappy about it I would tell him - one other thing to bear in mind is that the longer this goes, the less likely it is you'll be able to return the diamond without financial consequences (to be honest, I would be surprised if that weren't the case already). In any case, I would rather have a talk about it than letting things fester, if you are unhappy with the ring to the point that you seem to be.

Thank you for your response. It's such a hard issue to bring up. They either said there was a sale and he could get the band and ring for just a little more than he bought the ring for the first time, or the sales person offered the ring and he is clueless on the downgrade of diamond. It's fr distinative diamonds, and thankfully they give you 100% back what you paid for the diamond when you upgrade later. He told me they pulled our order history and he didn't even look at the diamond, but I know my class was much higher than this the first time we bought it. Trying to find the paperwork

I think it’s going to depend on the details.  Often a purchase of a thing like this has a return or trade-in sort of opportunity.  For a while.  That means if you go back to the seller within the first 10 or 60 or whatever days, they’ll take it back and sell you something that suits you better.  The 100% upgrade usually involves adding a bunch of money to do it, the front end refund doesn't.  If you’re covered by such a program, timing matters and yes, you should say something.  This will probably be printed on the receipt but it may also be helpful to check out the website of the seller to see what their terms and conditions are.

Depending on when the first purchase was made, you may have insurance and not even know it.  A fair number of credit cards offer coverage for a month or even a year on new purchases.  If you (he) are covered by one of these you’ll find details on the website of the credit card company.

Lastly, if you’ve got a homeowners policy, you may have limited coverage even though the ring wasn’t separately scheduled.  Details here will come from your insurance agent or the company customer service reps.

Edited by denverappraiser

• 3 years later...

This is a very strange situation, without insurance it is better not to buy an engagement ring. I know that there are stores where it is possible to return the ring. The quality is not inferior to other jewelry stores. I tried to take a chance and order wedding rings in one of these stores, but I didn't have to return them :)

Edited by JuliaPerkins