Challenge: Can You Tell If A Ring Is Fake From A Picture?

Georgia677

From those photos (single image, set stone, photo of the jewellery piece, not of the stone) - no. And I'd be very sceptical of anyone who says he/she can.

From a carefully selected single photomicrograph showing inclusions or other characteristics that are specific of a type - possibly, though the inclusions may need to be pre-identified or the image may need to be magnified to the point that the stone itself cannot be identified safely (as in: the stone in image 3, containing X, is a sapphire - but if you now zoom out and you ask: "which of these three stones is the sapphire?" there is no sure answer).

From many high quality images, including photomicrographs of inclusions and other close-up images of the surface as well as of the stone in its entirety, taken loose (not set) and from different angles and in known light conditions and possibly including video under different light conditions it becomes easier to make a good guess.

With one expert gemologist holding the stone in one hand and a loupe in the other? 1 minute or less.

Why the question?

Honestly, I want to buy a mossinite wedding ring but I do not want someone to be able to pick it out and these are the three rings I picked and only one of them is a diamond. I was not sure if the color/clarity of the diamond would allow an experienced jeweler to somewhat guess which was real and which were not.

Edited by Georgia677

The problem is that the photo test is not a valid one... people will see your (fiancée/wife's) ring in real life, not via photos (mostly).

At a casual glance, with good quality moissanite no-one would know. With a more in-depth observation, particularly if the stone is a largish one, it can be possible to tell even without a loupe, and with a loupe it is easy.

Most people - including professionals - would not know or care to know, unless you went asking. Most professionals, even if they knew, would keep the information to themselves. So don't worry too much - but see moissanite before you decide: usually it has a greenish tint that not everybody likes (then again, not everybody sees it).

By the way - there is nothing wrong with moissanite (or CZ), as long as the recipient of the ring is aware and OK with it. There few surprises worse than someone going into a jewellery shop to see something, being offered a free cleaning of their ring and being told "I'm not sure if you know, but what you have there is not a real diamond"...

In 'normal wear' sort of conditions, the usual clues to a simulant are a little different from what you seem to expect.  They look different when they're dirty.  They wear differently.  They are often out of context (a 5 carat stone mounted in a crappy ring for example).  

I'm curious.  Why does Moissanite have your fancy instead of CZ?