mav_sheep

Diamond For Your Dream Ring

26 posts in this topic

Welcome all and hope that you will help me find the best stone. Excuse for my English is not very good.

My love seen on one of the internet portals ring which she liked very much . I managed to find it is- verriago insignia 7075, but the same ring costs almost $ 2,000 - without diamond. Diamond recommended for this ring is 0.5-1,5 ct. In Poland, where I come from jewelet valued make a ring like that for $ 1,500 with 0,29ct with S1, G parameters. After thinking I said that this ring design the same in 3D technology (cost per print and embed stones is $ 400-500 without materials - for this I can afford a better stone and unique ring). The only problem is to purchase a diamond think about the stone 0,40-0,50 budget of about $ 1,000. The best offer according to me is JamesAllen - where I can see how the product look like. Unfortunately they do not shipping to Polend. For this I am looking at other portals.

I thought about the parameters

Carat weight-0.44

Shape-Round

Cut-Ideal

Colour-E

Clarity-SI1

Length / width ratio-1.01

Depth-62.9%

Table-56.0%

Polish-Excellent

Symmetry-Excellent

Girdle-Thin to Slightly Thick

Culet-None

Fluorescence-Medium

Measurements-4.85 x 4.82 x 3.04 mm

if it is safe to order a stone of such parameters over the internet,without seeing images? Because of the limited money do not count on the high parameters but I would like a nice looking diamond.

Thank you for any comments

Whether buying something - anything - remotely is "safe" depends first and foremost on the seller... and you haven't told us who they are, other than "not James Allen".

Other than that, and assuming a reliable seller (as in: they will ship something to you, that something will have been accurately described prior to the sale, they will charge you the right amount for it and they will honour any return/warranty policy they may have), there are three points to note with regards to this specific stone:

1. Who has graded it? GIA does not use the word "ideal" in their grading, and AGS (who does) is I think very unlikely to grade a diamond with a 62.9% depth as "Ideal". Most other labs reports are not particularly reliable. In any case, we know very very little about how well this diamond is cut (depth and table are not particularly revealing in this respect).

2. You may want to go lower - even significantly lower - in colour, to G, H or I and get a larger stone. It all depends on what you value most, but to 99.99999% of people, an E and a G (or even an H) in 1/2 carat size will look the same colour, especially once set.

3. Is the diamond eye-clean, or are the inclusions visible? Chances are that it's eye-clean, but it's not guaranteed. Again, having a good vendor that can inspect the stone prior to shipping and tell you what they see is not a bad idea, and it's a very good one if you are shopping SI or I clarity stones.

(4. Be careful about cost assumptions - where did you get your estimate of $4-500 for a 3D print? Casting is actually relatively cheap, but the real work in producing a piece of jewellery is in the finishing and - if there are lots of small stones to set or the setting is complicated because of shape/position of the stones - in the setting. As far as I know, 3D printing cannot solve either issue even though it may make copying a complex design somewhat easier.)

Edited by davidelevi
1 person likes this

Thank you for your quick reply and valuable. I thought about buying

I think that Blue Nil is the good choice and allows the return.

Ad.1 a GIA certificate cut grade - exellent

Ad.2 very important point, I agree with that.

Ad.3 I sent an email asking for Blue Nil, but wrote back to me that the best form of consultatnion is a phone which is hard for me because of my language.

Ad 4. I sent a request to the jeweler about the cost of printing and embed stones and got the answer that it is 380-435$  for his job.

GIA - you are fine. As you are with Blue Nile - with the consideration that they never see the stones personally, so you are relying on the wholesaler passing on the correct information... thus you may be in for a surprise anyway. However they will honour their return policy without any problem if you decide not to keep the stone.

FWIW, between the two you are considering, it's an interesting choice. The 0.46 H/SI1 (stock number LD07727137) has more pleasing proportions and it faces up a little larger, but it has VG symmetry. It's unlikely to be a "problem", but it would be interesting to know why. I'd still go for this one over the 0.44 G... just!

1 person likes this

Thank you very much for your comments on the diamond it is very valuable information for me. If you can still ask for technical advice regarding the thickness of the ring and the elements. In link below a concept of ring,for now it is close to the project verragio (but reduced thickness 1.5 mm). Apart from the visual side if there are any tips that will increase usability - cleaning, etc. For every advice I will be grateful.

In terms of cleaning, it seems a good setting - the diamond is easily accessible, especially on the underside of the pavilion. The one thing I would recommend is that you do not make the shank too thin - bear in mind that an engagement ring is going to be subject to a lot of wear and people are usually much harder on their jewellery (and especially on rings) than they think.

FWIW, that's not an easy item to make.  Finishing all of those inside surfaces is going to be a significant chore and doing it well is going to involve assembling it from several parts.  The cheapest jeweler is unlikely to do the best job.

I"m not big on that element at the bottom center.  This is a freestanding dellie in the palm of her hand and damage here seems likely even with pretty careful wear.

I'll second Neil's concern on the bump at the bottom center and I think the thin sides are likely to easily get deformed with normal wear as well.

Thank you very much for your opinions.

@davidelevi - I agree with you, I have to work on the thickness. Is difficult 

because of that ring is presented with a 1/1.5 ct stone and hard to find a balance 

between the thickness and stone accent (if i use ~0.45ct).

@denverappraiser - This order is to make one of the best jewelers in Krakow, he perform for me once signet ring and I was very pleased with the service. 

I am before talking about the details - I would like to prepare for this conversation. What do you mean by "element at the bottom center" 

or

I do not like this part

@LaurentGeorge

My secend choice is verriago venetian 5047r. I think it will be  more difficult to demage. But insignia 7075 for me is nicer. 

When it comes to the stones I was searched again and found these two thinking about 0,47

Carat Weight - 0,47 carat

Colour G

Cut Grade - Exellent

Clarity SI2

Depth % 61.4%

Table % 59.0%

Measurements 4.98 x 5.00 x 3.06 mm

Carat Weight - 0,46 carat

Colour H

Cut Grade - Exellent

Depth % 61.6%

Table % 59.0%

Measurements 4.94 x 4.93 x 3.04 mm

Edited by mav_sheep

Both the new stones look fine from a proportion point of view - but with increasing questions/uncertainty on clarity...

The bottom center I'm talking about is at the palm of the hand when worn.  Where the gold colored price tag is in your pictures.  

If I were you, I would avoid purchasing stones of such a high price without even seeing the picture. Online shopping is safe in terms of money transaction but still why to invite a headache by ordering something which you are not even sure about.

@davidelevi

You're right s2 is not a good choice at this moment I stay with

@denverappraiser

ok, now i understand. Many rings varriago has this shape, but your comment is very correct,I will also do 3d model with a rounded bottom and compare.

I found this movie 

I think that's good way.

@fesco

I agree with your opinion, but what choice I have? In Poland there are no shops with loose diamonds where I could see a live or even with photo - only online can buy on the basis of the certificate. 

Could I ask You to send me here or in private messages trust sites where diamonds are offered with photographs as JamesAllen shop?

After the results of elections in the US it may be good option to import the stone even if add 20% of tax

thank you all for your help

Edited by mav_sheep

Hello all,

I booked a stone.

I have information from BN "The diamond is "eye clean" per the vault manager that inspected it for me."

I think that I would stay at such parameters, and this stone, I hope she love it.

I will write how to develop this love-ring story :)

Hello,

Tomorrow I should get a stone. I am very excited :wub: . I do not know how to solve the mounting stone - an element which I marked in red.

Have you seen somewhere other mounting solutions. Do you have any pictures? 
Edited by mav_sheep

I'm not sure what your question is - do you mean

1. How to set the stone circled in red?

or

2. What to use for the stone circled in red?

To number 1, let the jeweller worry about it. To number 2, I would use another diamond, or - if your to-be-fiancée is keen on this sort of thing - her birth stone if it is sufficiently durable for setting in an engagement ring.

I really do not understand the second part of the question - "have you seen other mounting solutions?" Yes, there are plenty of other ring styles - if you click on the link in my signature, there's a gazillion photos on our site...

Thank You David for your answer.

Forgive me for my vocabulary. Now I see that I wrote this with no sense.I mean element which hold the side stone. Now i marked it all over red.   

This element look like three parts tulip. Atached to it four prong. I don't like, but can't find another solution. Same mounting main ston with 4 prong is ok. Only shape of element hold side stone.

Edited by mav_sheep

Don't worry about the vocabulary, but I'm still struggling with what the problem actually is.

I don't think you need the "third petal" (the middle one) on the tulip from a structural point of view. The rest... you do need something to connect the scrolls on the side and close the ring on the bottom of the stone, not least because otherwise structurally it doesn't work well, however one of the nice things with CAD is that you can test as many designs as you like for relatively little effort.

The question for me (or rather, for your jeweller who is making the piece) is: what features do you want to keep, and what do you not like of the (basically) Verragio design? Is the small stone under the main one something you must keep, or could you do something like this mutatis mutandis?

r1251rwa.jpg (here the bridge is as plain as can be, despite relatively complex metalwork in the basket and prongs).

Also, note that you will need some wire under the scrolls - otherwise the ring is unwearable (at best, she'll lose it every other minute; at worst, she'll get scratches on her finger as well as losing the ring). ;)

Edited by davidelevi

Thank you very much!

I think I will stay with this concept. It is maybe a little trivial, but it is something between M as the first letter of her name and hearts (without small stone). If you have any comments please write. I am very grateful for all the helpful advice. The stone came, it's beautiful. Unfortunately, i have photos only from  phone.

2mdrq00.jpg

ohlmxj.jpg

2mfybv8.jpg

Hi everyone,

The ring was finally completed. Below I upload pictures - visualizations (earlier version which was thinner) and mold of 3d model.

Photos of the finished ring i'll sent after a big day .. or link to ebay ;) summarizing 5 months is too long for my nerves. There were heavy moments, on the other hand once in a lifetime...

counts is a result that takes my breath away i hope her too! 

post-135979-0-78386400-1492518206_thumb.jpg

post-135979-0-55882300-1492518211_thumb.jpg

post-135979-0-76627200-1492518225_thumb.jpg

post-135979-0-84091100-1492518241_thumb.jpg

post-135979-0-86702600-1492518257_thumb.jpg

Congratulations - and more congratulations for the "Yes" that will inevitably follow!

Thank you very much for letting us know how things are going.