All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Welcome to DiamondReview. Every custom jeweler on the planet could make either of those, as I'm sure you know. Neither is especially difficult. That begs the question of what you mean by 'best', no matter how good you are. Cheapest? Fastest? Highest quality? Given that you're a jeweler, I presume the idea here is that it's you. I"ve never heard of you, which means nothing by the way, and don't even know where your store is, but it strikes me as highly unlikely that you would match most definitions of 'best'. What then is the point of this post? I"m going to take a guess. You're trying to promote the store. Believe it or not, I"m a big fan of that (promotion), but allow me to suggest you work a little harder at it. Sign up as a jeweler if you haven't already (it's free). Then read people's questions and provide useful and accurate answers. People will read your advice, not just the original poster, notice the link at the bottom of your page back to your store, and buy things from you. You've already established your credibility. Repeat. You'll be amazed how well it works and you'll be amazed at how much YOU learn both by knowing what people are asking and by reading the advice given by others. It WILL make you a better jeweler. By the way, read the rules. There's a link at the bottom of the page. You've already violated them by posting as a jeweler in the 'classified' section of the site. That's specifically reserved for individual sellers.
  3. davidelevi

What are your thoughts on this diamond?

What does this mean? How does this help the OP?
  4. I want best custom jewelry service to make a ring like this in Us any body can guide me to the best shop ......?
  5. rumijewelers

Yeah, its precious
  6. davidelevi

It looks very nice on paper. Whether one would rather spend money on things one cannot see (F vs. G and VVS1 vs. SI1) or size is a personal choice. Not on a VVS... or even on an SI.
  7. Last week
  8. What are your thoughts on this diamond? Is a feather near the perimeter/girdle a problem? GIA Report: 1329439061 https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD12231850?refTab=DIAMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true
  9. denverappraiser

Review of HRD 1.02ct F VVS2 3x VG

I totally believe it's a nice stone. I'm criticizing the grading scale, not your diamond. The problem with the cut scale is this: Here's the whole scale: Excellent Very Good Good Fair Poor That makes VG look pretty good, it’s just below the best and it's usually reflected in the price, but look from the other end. Just try and find a poor, fair, or even a good. I’ll wait. Using the diamondfinder as broadly as I can, there are 524,000 round stones listed at the moment. 18,000 are Good and 1508 are Fair. None are Poor. The bottom 3 grades combined are only 3%! VG has 346,000, a little over half, but when I limit it to VG VG(or worse) symmetry and polish it drops all the way to 21,000. 94% are better on paper than that! That’s not an entirely fair test, some VG VG VGs are pretty darned good, and sometimes the issues are more subtle than those polish and symmetry grades indicate, but seeing it as almost the top is a serious misunderstanding of the scale. https://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds?sortOrder=carat&sortDesc=0&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=0.10&fCaratHi=8.96&fColorLo=D&fColorHi=Z&fClarityLo=FL&fClarityHi=I3&fCutLo=vgood&fCutHi=poor&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=vgood&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=vgood&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&fLabGIA=1&adv=1
  10. Yvonne Bruggink

Thx all for reply. The flourescent is nil. And it's indeed an HRD certificate. We went to one of Antwerps most brilliant jewellerstores. We live in the Netherlands wich isn't far away from Antwerp, Belgium. I tought that a VG cut was also a high cutting because only excellent is above and i didn't now about the HCA scope so now i've noticed it I'm in doubt. I tought it was a good deal/ diamond because it looked bigger more like a 1.2ct. In the store all the diamonds sparkled a lot so i don't think i could tell the difference anymore. But it was me that said that it was a nice stone, only one small pinpoint on the side.. In my mind (wich ofcourse could be terrible wrong) a diamond should always sparkle even when there's no (sun) light on the ring. But since I now have it, it doesn't sparkle all the time. My boyfriend bought it in january for approx. €8000 incl. A 18k white gold ring with 0.1c tw on sidesstones with D/E color and VVS clarity. I don't now if we can return / change it, altough the jeweller said that we always can get an upgrade with the same value. I'm gonna check above link. I knew that cut was the most important factor but I really tought that a VG cut was also a high cutting grade. 🙈 I didn't do my homework properly I think.
  11. denverappraiser

HRD is a reliable enough lab but I’m curious how you picked this particular stone. High clarity(VVS2), high color(F), low cutting (VG, VG, VG) is an unusual combination. Did you pick this or was it the dealer selling it? There are 481 superficially comparable stones in the diamondfinder database here, for example. 440 of them are graded as better cut than this one (as mentioned by Laurent above, they may have other issues that come into play but cutting seems to be your question given what you've told us about the stone.) https://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Rnd&fCaratLo=1.00&fCaratHi=1.05&fColorLo=F&fColorHi=F&fClarityLo=VVS2&fClarityHi=VVS2&fCutLo=&fCutHi=poor&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=1000000&fLabGIA=1&adv=1
  12. LaurentGeorge

There is also no information on fluorescence, which can impact the price considerably. You can go to the DiamondFinder above to search for similar stones and see where you stand on price. As Davide says above, where you make your purchase plays a big role in how much you pay. As vendors listing on the DiamondFinder, we do not include VAT and our prices are in USD, but it is not hard to translate up.
  13. davidelevi

This doesn't sound like something you love at first sight... or something you anticipated getting for 21 years. The key question here, independent of numbers, letters, prices and anything else is: do you like it? Secondly, if you don't love it, can you (he) return it without penalty and change it for something else? What would the something else need to do differently? That depends quite a bit on who graded it F/VVS2. Assuming it's HRD (one of the labs that uses the label "Fine White"), you are at least reasonably certain it is an F/VVS2. If it's somebody else, it depends on who it is! The other major factor impacting prices is where you buy. A luxury jeweller in Antwerp or Brussels (I assume, from your name!) is one thing, a non-descript internet retailer is quite another. For what it's worth, similar stones are retailed on the internet for between USD 6,300 and 7,700. Add on European VAT at ~20% and change into €, and you have a possible retail price of between €7,000 and €8,500 - on the internet; in a retail store, prices will almost certainly be higher and could be 50%-100% higher (or more!) in a "high luxury brand" store like Cartier or Van Cleef.
  14. Yvonne Bruggink

Thx for your fast reply. I tought the diamond would be a lot sparklier in daylight. In the sun and spotlight its oké. The HCA score was 3.1 Light return: Very good Fire: Good Scintillation: Fair Spread: Excellent OVERALL: it's say Very good and worth buying if the price is right. Probably sparkles OK and looks bigger than usual for its carat weight. If the HCA is less than 2.5, and you can see good Hearts and Arrows, it can be a nice diamond. Confirm with Ideal-scope, ASET scope or send to an appraiser. I don't no if and what the results where with the scopes.... What is a right price for this stone? Hope you can help with it, thx very much!
  15. LaurentGeorge

Congratulations! You boyfriend is one lucky guy to have found such a patient partner! What would you like to know ? The proportions indicate the stone is very spready. It is shallow with a wide open table. This results in a stone that looks larger than it is but is likely to lack the brilliance found in more traditionally cut diamonds. That said, some people find this to be very appealing. Not that is bears any relevance but have to assume this stone did not score too well on the HCA.
  16. Yvonne Bruggink

Dear all, After 21 years my boyfriend popped the question. I now checked the certificate and HCA and now i'm in doubt. What do you think about this diamond? It's a 1.02 rare white+ (F) brilliant round VVS2 Cut: Proportions VG Polish VG Symmetry VG Measurements 6.63x6.73mm x 3.86mm Girdle medium 3.0% faceted Culet pointed Td 57.9% Table width 63% Crown height 11% (30.0 deg) Pavilion depth 44.0% (41.5 deg) Length halve crowns 45% Length halves pavilion 80% Thanks in advance for reply😊 Greetings Yvonne
  17. davidelevi

Clean your Diamonds especially in your engagement ring

What? Using square steel pipes for cleaning diamond rings? I want to see that. Your spamming has been reported, but it was so funny that I just removed the link and left the quote. @hermann feel free to delete if you think it's not appropriate.
  18. davidelevi

on the hunt for the perfect emerald

@denverappraiser Thank you for the help. The footers/signatures seem to have reappeared in the meantime, though yours has gained a couple of extra spaces in it... Not much to add to Neil's list - in fact, my main criterion in areas where I collect/buy stuff as a consumer has always been "can I trust this person", and aside from a moderate amount of politeness, the objective attributes of "trust" are the first two of Neil's criteria: do they know what they are talking about, and are they honest.
  19. denverappraiser

I just noticed that contact information is no longer in the footers. Hmm. There seems to be no way to know who you're talking to. Davide is: http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ Mine is http://www.gemlab.us
  20. denverappraiser

The tax benefit goes away if you report things to customs, and if you don’t report, you have the potential for other problems. It is possible, and people do it all the time, but it is illegal. Just sayin’. Davide works for a jeweler in NYC. He’s too polite to plug himself but there are links in the signature block at the bottom of every one of his posts. Who is ‘best’ will depend to a large degree on what you want. For example, I’ve linked above 399 stones that meet your requirements. There’s obviously a pricing question that’s going to come up but, in practice, most of those stones will be available at any jeweler you want. I’m not an uninvolved observer either (I’m an appraiser), but what I look for in a jeweler is pretty straightforward: 1) The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. If you get a feeling that they’re hiding things or filtering details based on criteria other than yours, move on. 2) They know. There are a shocking number of uneducated jewelers out there. It continuously amazes me how many think there’s nothing important beyond what appears on the GIA reports. Not everyone knows everything and it’s fair for them to do research, but if you get a feeling that they don’t know and just don’t care, move on. By the way, don’t be shocked if they ask for a deposit. It costs money to bring in stones to show you and it takes time to talk to you. They deserve to be paid. 3) Terms and conditions vary and they get difficult in your price range. Mostly it’s not about credit cards for example. Read the T&C carefully. Plan on getting it appraised by an independent appraiser (not their guy and not a competitive seller) and you should have the right to return it if this goes badly. This often causes stress with sellers on expensive items and there is often time pressure. Compare their answers to this question. 4) You haven’t answered the questions of your objectives and what that swirl ring has to do with it, but that’s not an easy job. Not everyone is prepared to make that and not everyone will tell you if it’s outside their skill set. That may or may not matter to where you buy the diamond but that’s a complicated job. Look at their work. You’re fishing for talent over price here. 5) Search their reputations, both online and with friends. If they don’t have any footprints, move on. As you point out, there are a lot of jewelers out there. To your other question. Your cell phone (a rectangle with blunted corners) and a stop sign (an octagon) are both emerald cuts. The look is very different. Most ECs have 4 pavilion mains. That’s the A few have 5 or even 6, some have only 3. It’s not that one is better than the other, or even more expensive, it’s that they’re different. Do you have a preference? If you don’t even know the question, you’ll never know the answer, and the way you get these questions is from talking to the salespeople and by looking at stones.
  21. rock8378

I want to find a jeweler who can find the best center stone and can also design a setting similar to the design. Sorry for the confusion. You mentioned in an earlier post about other variables such as the number of steps on the pavilion and the shapes of the corners. Could you please elaborate or guide me to other resources to help expand my understanding of emeralds? Thank you so much for your time. Please bear with me. I have no idea what to look for.
  22. denverappraiser

It's a cool ring, but what does it have to do with the current deal? Are you looking to make a ring like that? That's not an easy job, but there are certainly jewelers who could do that. It doesn't really have much to do with the details on the center diamond in any case.
  23. rock8378

No, thank you so much! This was extremely helpful. I'm based in LA and I've been speaking to a few jewelers in Hong Kong (Hong Kong for tax benefits and also because I commute often for work) and NY. Do you have any recommendations in picking a great dealer besides for warranty and customer service? There are so many jewelers and it's overwhelming.
  24. rock8378

I had been working with a dealer in Hong Kong for a vintage emerald cut and that's when I found the twist ring I attached above!
  25. denverappraiser

What does Sotheby's have to do with it?
  26. denverappraiser

I"m going to give the same answer with a slightly different take. 2.80-3.50/D-G/IF-VS1/GIA/emerald cut has 399 offers just in the database here. Prices range from $30k-$135k. That's a factor of 4 range. 340 of them are under your budget. You need to zero in a bit, and the first step is to put some thought into how you landed on that range in the first place. In terms of pricing, your biggest issues are over/under 3.0 and if you're serious about that 'D' and/or 'IF'. Every step matters. I would abbreviate Davides list above although I fundamentally agree with it. Start by choosing a dealer, not by choosing a range of grades for the online databases. There'll be time for that later. The problem is that hardly one carries this sort of thing in stock, including the internet folks, and this becomes a special order project if you want to be even remotely picky. That makes the dealer your ally in the hunt rather than an opponent to be pitted against their competitors. There are variables that I can pretty much guarantee you haven't come across, like the number of steps on the pavilion and the shape of the corners that have a big effect on the look of the final stone. Some (like those two) aren't even mentioned on the GIA document. https://www.diamondreview.com/diamonds?sortOrder=price&sortDesc=1&fShape=Emrl&fCaratLo=2.80&fCaratHi=3.50&fColorLo=D&fColorHi=G&fClarityLo=FL&fClarityHi=VS1&fCutLo=&fCutHi=poor&fDepthLo=50.0&fDepthHi=80.0&fTableLo=40.0&fTableHi=80.0&fSymLo=&fSymHi=poor&fPolLo=&fPolHi=poor&fCulLo=&fCulHi=vlarge&fFlrLo=&fFlrHi=vstrong&fPriceLo=0&fPriceHi=75000
  27. davidelevi

Hi there, welcome to Diamond Review! For what it's worth, here are my four pieces of generic advice: 1. Don't obsess over letters and numbers. They are important to establish a fair price, but that's where their usefulness ends: there are beautiful M/SI2 and ugly D/IF stones, and there are a lot more "numbers" that make an emerald cut than the 3 or 4 you find on a lab report. 2. Trust your eyes and your "heart" (OK, brain cortex and limbic system, actually, but never mind) - especially in direct comparisons. If possible, see the stones in person, and if not establish clear rules for penalty-free returns. 3. Buy the difference you can see. D to G and FL to VS1 will all look white and eye-clean. There is no scientific reason to set a grade boundary between (say) D and E where it is, and neither is there a scientific reason to set a magnification of 10x for calling a stone "flawless" or VVS1. 4. Choose the dealer before you choose the stone. Many of the diamonds for sale are available to many retailers, but (in my experience at least), the advice quality and level of service vary a lot between one retailer and another. Apologies if this is too generic to be of help - do tell us more about what you want assistance with!
  1. Load more activity