I was lucky enough to stumble across this great board, as I've been able to find answers to many of my initial questions. I've got a rock narrowed down and will be able to look at it within the next few days, so I thought I’d post and see what you all have to say. First time poster and diamond newb so I apologize in advance for any lingo mistakes or obvious ignorance. So thank you in advance for any insight you might be able to provide and I look forward to a third party unbiased opinion.
I'm in the market for an engagement ring, the diamond I'm giving serious consideration has the following specs with a screenshot of the GIA report attached: 1.16ct. GIA/SI1/F round brilliant.
The things that I like and are comfortable with are that it is colorless, has excellent cut, excellent polish, and excellent symmetry.
Being a newb, some things I admittedly don't fully understand are the measurements and proportions. The specs appear to fall within the recommended guidelines that I've found, but it would be great if someone can confirm that these parameters are indeed great or if there are any related concerns that I should be aware of. Will these parameters limit the diamond in any way?
Also, in the reference diagrams of the attached GIA report, I see quite a few red markings which naturally concerns me. My local jeweler told me that these types of inclusions should not be visible to the naked eye although they will be visible under 10x magnification, and that we'll be able to tell for sure when we see the diamond. I'm comfortable with the inclusions only being visible under 10x magnification, however I am concerned that perhaps a few of them will be visible to the naked eye and that I won't be able to catch them as I have an untrained eye.
- What matters and what doesn't matter in terms of being visible to the naked eye and/or diminishing the sparkle?
- Any "sniff tests" or other techniques I can use at the store to make sure I'm not missing anything?
- Do the various types of inclusions fall into a category of "visible" or "not visible" to the naked eye or are they all different on a case by case basis?
- should I be concerned that they will diminish the sparkle and beauty of the diamond?
- Should the fact that the GIA report identified so many inclusions raise a red flag?
- Is it normal for an SI1 to have so many inclusions?
Thanks again for all of your help!
Edited by dk123, 01 December 2011 - 07:00 PM.