consumer guidance. we do not sell jewelry.

View New Content      Forum Rules                            New here? Quick site intro

Photo

Hazy And Milky Looking Of High Color Grading Diamond

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ivy

ivy

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:medical journals, movies, swimming, skiing

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

Hi

I just get a question about my engagement ring. It is an E color VVS2 clarity diamond ring. When my fiancee posted the ring to me, it was looked blinking and flashy. However, I recently bought a pair of stud earring which are H color VS clarity. After comparing these diamonds, I suddenly found the E color diamond seems less lucent... It is a bit cloudy or hazy looking but of course the color is brighter then earring. The diamond ring was bought from De Beers, form the certificate there is no fluorescence and cut grade is EX.

I don't understand why the higher grade diamond ( basically in all aspects color clarity and cut) show a opposite impression... He suggested probably the size of diamonds cause the difference of visual effects... could it because the engagement ring diamond is bigger, so when we observe the diamonds in close distance, there is less transparent.

Can any experienced people give me any suggestion?

#2 LaurieH

LaurieH

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Member
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

If your diamond is high colour and truly has no fluorescence--the simplest answer is probably that your engagement diamond needs to be cleaned. Diamonds LOVE grease--from your skin, from your food, from your lotion. And guess what sticks in grease? Dirt. From everywhere. So do this: get a soft bristle toothbrush (even a medium can scratch your ring, so make sure it's a soft brush), some liquid dish soap without conditioners (so nothing that says "softens hands while you do dishes" or the like) and warm water. Clean the diamond with these, and esp pay attention go getting underneath the setting and sides with the brush since that's where most of the dirt can accumulate, and let it dry on a towel and THEN compare the other diamonds to it and see if it's made a difference. If you've got a really good cut and, as you said, great Color and Clarity, you should see a big improvement in your engagement ring diamond and notice that it looks a bit better compared to your new earrings, too :)

Good luck and let us know if that works for ya and welcome to the Forum :)
Diamonds Graduate, Pearls Graduate, AJP GIA

#3 ivy

ivy

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

I DID wash... I don't know why but anyhow, it still looks a bit cloudy looking inside... seems like some inclusion... very tiny spread white point. Not as clear and transparent as the earring diamond.

The engagement ring is certified by De Beers which states E color and VVS2 clartity, no fluorescence. Should I go to exam the diamond again? I am a bit worried about the it. The diamond is 0.92 carat which is no GIA report only the De Beers passport...

BR

#4 LaurieH

LaurieH

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Member
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

Hmm....well DeBeers does not certify diamonds, to the best of my knowledge--they can just say what they're selling it as, if I'm not mistaken. I would say take it to be graded independently by someone in your area. You can find a certified appraiser at NAJA.org if you want, too. Since the stone is set, you won't be able to get AS accurate a grade, but they should be able to look at the diamond for you and tell you a little more than we can, sight-unseen. It can be reflections, lighting, anything, if it is not something to do with the diamond itself being "misgraded".

I'd say that's probably the path to go down if a good cleaning like I suggested (not just a dip/soak in some chemical jewelery cleaner) didn't do the job.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out!

#5 denverappraiser

denverappraiser

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Appraiser
  • 7,074 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:14 PM

It's possible to damage a diamond with heat AFTER it leaves the lab and this will give it a cloudy appearance although I second Laurie's comment that it sounds like a cleaning issue. Do as Laurie suggested and get it appraised by a pro. Even if this is the case it's fairly straightforward to repair but you should NOT be seeing a cloudy appearance in a VVS2. Although it's true that DeBeers doesn't generally use an independent lab for the stones they sell, they seem to have capable graders on staff and I would not expect an error anywhere near this extreme.

Edited by denverappraiser, 13 March 2011 - 03:31 PM.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.
Professional Appraisals in Denver

#6 ivy

ivy

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:16 AM

thanks! I will send it to jewelry care and let them clean it deeply. Let you know after...

I think De Beers is a reliable retail since it is on the market for long time. May be I am a bit overconscientious...

#7 jan

jan

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Jeweler
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:38 AM

Hi

I just get a question about my engagement ring. It is an E color VVS2 clarity diamond ring. When my fiancee posted the ring to me, it was looked blinking and flashy. However, I recently bought a pair of stud earring which are H color VS clarity. After comparing these diamonds, I suddenly found the E color diamond seems less lucent... It is a bit cloudy or hazy looking but of course the color is brighter then earring. The diamond ring was bought from De Beers, form the certificate there is no fluorescence and cut grade is EX.

I don't understand why the higher grade diamond ( basically in all aspects color clarity and cut) show a opposite impression... He suggested probably the size of diamonds cause the difference of visual effects... could it because the engagement ring diamond is bigger, so when we observe the diamonds in close distance, there is less transparent.

Can any experienced people give me any suggestion?

First of all, have you had anyone look at the stone for you to make sure it matches the lab report? There are incidents occasionally where fluorescence is not notated on the lab report but had some. Here is an example of one that we saw recently that said it had none, but in reality it had yellow fluorescence. The stone on the right also had that hazy appearance.

155SI1 H compared to 1.50 ct. SI1 H.jpg
Jan
For those that want to know the truth about diamonds, just ask.

dbof.com

#8 ivy

ivy

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:06 AM

Hi Jan

I did not do any extra exam... since it my engagement ring which bought by my boyfriend and before I got my stud earring I did not realize the hazy of it... Only after my earring arrived, I compared the diamonds... then the difference show up...

Can I simply look at the diamond under UV light? I work at medical lab, we have UV exposure equipment... OR I need to send the ring to some jeweler?

BR

#9 denverappraiser

denverappraiser

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Appraiser
  • 7,074 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

I think you really would benefit by a professional appraisal, if only for your own confidence, but yes, it's easy to check fluorescence yourself if you've got a light at work. Actually, the tanning salon and the disco work pretty well for this too. :D
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.
Professional Appraisals in Denver

#10 LaurieH

LaurieH

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Member
  • 856 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:38 AM

Yeah...I'd say go ahead and check it on your own for UV before sending it off somewhere or anything. Then at least you can potentially rule that out.

Let us know!

#11 ivy

ivy

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:35 AM

Hi all

I check the fluorescence in the UV exposuror, no excitation at all. And I asked my colleague to compare the diamonds... they said I am too sensitive and i probably get a bit Marriage Phobia, starting worried about everything...Posted Image

Anyhow, i will go to the oldest jewelry store at stockholm and ask the jeweler to help me after work.

#12 ivy

ivy

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:38 AM

I just got the verification and professional clean of my engagement ring. It is ok now... Looks sparkly and clear. The jeweler in our local store said it probably because of the hand cream underneath of setting and that is difficult to wipe out by normal washing.

thanks for all of your help! Posted Image

#13 LaurieH

LaurieH

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Member
  • 856 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

Glad you got it cleaned and they were able to restore it to how you knew it should look :) That's why a soft-bristle toothbrush and dish soap can be your best friend--honestly, it's what most jewelers will use, but then they have the advantage of a steamer that will blow super hot steam on it to dry it off fast without any water spots and stuff, but you can come pretty close doing it yourself. Just get in those gaps! :)