consumer guidance. we do not sell jewelry.

View New Content      Forum Rules                            New here? Quick site intro

Photo

Dgl Lab Scams

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 barcohen5000

barcohen5000

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:41 AM

Anyone knows about Gemological Institute called DGL? I received Gemological certificate from the Institute with untrusted data. I tried to locate the institute, but the telephone number is disconnected and there is no business address. I went to a few shops and they told me that the stone is far from D-VS1. I decided to dismantle the stone (1.01 carat stone weight) I sent it to GIA lab and they told me that the stone is G-SI2. I went to the Israeli Consumer Council and the Ministry of Industry but I was told that the complaint would take months, does anyone know where I should turn to expose this scam?

#2 LaurieH

LaurieH

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Member
  • 856 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:57 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you. Unfortunately, I don't know what to tell you is your recourse at this point, but to go back to the store where you bought the diamond and ask to return it for full value. Just because the certification is far off and you feel you overpaid, doesn't necessarily mean that the lab is a scam (although them being unreachable and unfindable lends itself in that direction), just that their grading is very lax. But if you do feel like you didn't get what you thought you were paying for, certainly start with your retailer and let them know you wish to return the stone for full value. Good luck.
Diamonds Graduate, Pearls Graduate, AJP GIA

#3 denverappraiser

denverappraiser

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Appraiser
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

It's not the lab you have an issue with, it's the dealer who provided this report and asked you to rely on it. Have you spoken with them? What did they say? Are you in Israel?
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.
Professional Appraisals in Denver