consumer guidance. we do not sell jewelry.

View New Content      Forum Rules                            New here? Quick site intro

Photo

White Topaz Versus Cubic Zirconia

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PawnshopPro

PawnshopPro

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:28 AM

I recently purchased a large approximate 5 ct square white topaz ring through my work, and am afraid I put too much money into the piece. I also need some way of explaining to customers that this ring is indeed a white topaz and not just a cz. The reason that I know it is a white topaz is that I was present at the time of original purchase. (A friend sold it to our pawnshop.) I know that there is a moh's scale difference, but we have no way to measure that. Please feel free to leave some helpful and informative discussion! Thank you,
PawnshopPro

#2 angara

angara

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:04 AM

White topaz and cubic zirconia both are considered to be alternatives to diamonds. the difference is that white topaz is a natural gemstone which is mined from beneath the surface of the earth. Cubic zirconia, on the other hand, is a man-made stone that is a diamond look-alike.

The price of natural gemstones depends on a lot of factors including cut, color, clarity and carat. so if you are wondering weather you've paid the just amount for your ring, it would actaully depend on the above mentioned factors. But if you've bought white topaz, be sure you've got something that has life-time value as you've bought a natural gemstone.