consumer guidance. we do not sell jewelry.

View New Content      Forum Rules                            New here? Quick site intro

Photo

White Diamond Turning Yello

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jennyb

jennyb

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:21 AM

Hi everyone,
The white diamond in my engagement ring is turning yellow. Colour F-G, 1 carat princess cut, 4 prong setting. Not sure if you need anything else?

I noticed it yellowing over the past couple of months, last night I took it to the jeweller to have it cleaned and inspected. After cleaning, I asked her if it looked a bit yellow to her - and she said yes, she actually thought it was a yellow diamond with very light colouring. Now this is just the salesperson, she's not a qualified gemologist or anything, but she noticed it was yellow as well.

Please tell me, how does a white F-G diamond turn so yellow in 3 years?

And also, what do I do about it?

Jenny

#2 denverappraiser

denverappraiser

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Appraiser
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:28 AM

No, diamonds don’t change colors.

That said, the next step is deciding what really is happening. Almost always it’s about the cleaning. Small pieces of crud get under the stone and can reflect throughout the piece giving it the appearance of more color. It can be damn hard to clean this stuff out. Most working shops have the right tools to do it but a quick run through the ultrasonic in the showroom may not be sufficient.

The other possibility is that the metal, especially the prongs, may be picking up a tarnish or stain that’s giving them a yellower look. As with the above, this can reflect around in the stone and it can pick up color. The solution here is a polish job and possibly a rhodium plating on the prongs and, as with the above, pretty much any working shop is prepared to do it for a modest price.

Neil
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.
Professional Appraisals in Denver

#3 Feydakin

Feydakin

Cut Diamond

• A-List Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:16 AM

I'd lean toward a cleaning issue.. I don't know what you do or what lotions / cosmetics you wear, but we have a customer that comes in once a month to have her rings cleaned.. We actually need to soak them in a light acid bath to get all of the buildup off of them, a quick trip through the ultra sonic isn't enough to clean them..
Steve
Gear Head - Designer - Bench Jeweler - Artist - Web Developer
AnimalCharms.Net

#4 LittleSharon

LittleSharon

Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:59 AM

I agree with the cleaning. Same thing happened with my Mum`s princess cut stone which is fairly new. We thought that maybe the stone had even been switched!!!! But it was 100% a claening issue. I think it has to do with the shape of the stone and the setting. imo