consumer guidance. we do not sell jewelry.

View New Content      Forum Rules                            New here? Quick site intro

Photo

Leo Diamonds Vs Other Diamonds

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 andylynn10

andylynn10

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:51 AM

I lost my wedding ring a month ago. It was a 1.5 carat, vs2, I, Leo diamond. Now we have gone through the whole insurance thing and I am about to purchase a new one. However, the rings that are available to me through our insurance claim are not Leo diamonds. They do match all the other weight, cut, clarity, color and everything. So what is the difference and am I getting a diamond of the same quality or of the less quality since it isn't a Leo diamond?

#2 marcyc

marcyc

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:10 PM

I am sorry to hear you lost your wedding ring. That is awful!

I've compared the Leo Diamond to ideal cut diamonds and found the ideal cut diamonds are nicer for less money. The Leo has extra facets but it is not necessarily the best cut diamond. You pay more for the facets and name. If they replace your diamond with a well cut diamond I think you'll like it as well or better than your Leo Diamond.

Good luck!
Marcy C
I Love Stars, Diamonds and Gems

#3 H and A

H and A

Opal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:59 PM

I don't know a whole lot about Leo diamonds to tell you the truth, but based on their advertisemets on how they do in the Gemex Brilliancescope:
Posted Image

which is good, but certainly not impressive. Now here's a diamond that Goodoldgold.com is selling:
Posted Image
And Barry over at Excel Diamonds has many similar ones to this in his Superbcert collection too.

#4 andylynn10

andylynn10

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:33 AM

Ok, Thanks so much for your advice and info. I really appreciate it!

#5 denverappraiser

denverappraiser

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Appraiser
  • 7,084 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:49 AM

Be more assertive to your insurance adjuster. Who’s the company? In most cases they are obligated to replace your lost stone with another of ‘like kind and quality’. Read your policy to be sure. The definition of like kind and quality will come from the appraisal that you submitted when you bound the policy. If it says you had a Leo, they must either replace with a Leo or convince you to agree to accept something else as a substitute. Put another way, you paid for a Leo, you paid for insurance premiums on your Leo and they have not made you whole again if you walk away with something less than a Leo.

I don't disagree that there are other cutters who make lovely stones that lots of folks like as well or better but you're being railroaded here. If you want something else, by all means go for something else but if you want a Leo you should have a Leo.

Have you accepted their settlement offer yet?

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser, 24 March 2007 - 05:52 AM.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.
Professional Appraisals in Denver

#6 andylynn10

andylynn10

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:01 PM

No I have not accepted yet, I was using this and some other means to help me make my decision. I had another question though that has come up. what is the difference between different grading systems such as EGL, IGI and GIA? Because each jeweler seems to use a different rating system and one jeweler was telling me to never accept anything rated by EGL or IGI? Is he right?

#7 denverappraiser

denverappraiser

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Appraiser
  • 7,084 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:45 PM

All labs are not the same. Stick with GIA or AGS. In the case of an insurance replacement, you may not have a choice here. Who graded the stone that was lost?

Neil
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

#8 barry

barry

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Jeweler
  • 1,611 posts
  • Interests:Selling Beautiful Diamonds & Jewelery at Exceldiamonds.com

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:20 PM

Neil is giving you excellent advice.

Stick to your guns.

Barry
www.exceldiamonds.com
www.diamondvues.com

@Exceldiamonds on Twitter

Excel Diamonds on Facebook

sales@exceldiamonds.com
1-866-829-8600
1-212-921-0635

#9 andylynn10

andylynn10

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:06 AM

The Leo diamond was graded with IGI and the new diamond is graded with EGL. So should I ask for what the GIA grade is if I decide to purchase it?

#10 denverappraiser

denverappraiser

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Appraiser
  • 7,084 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:20 AM

IGI and EGL are comparable labs to one another. Have you decided that you are satisfied with a non-Leo alternative?

What other specs are they working towards beyond looking for the cheapest 1.50ct. VS2/I they can find?

Neil
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

#11 andylynn10

andylynn10

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:15 AM

They used the actual dimensions of the diamond that I had. it was 6.31x6.24x4.5. I actually did some shopping around on my own and found one from a different jeweler that my ins. would accept. But the another jeweler that I went to is the one that told me about the gia grading and that I should consider that when I make my decision. I don't really know if a Leo is necessary since I am not a diamond expert or connoisseur and wouldn't be able to tell the difference myself. I found a huge discrepency in prices dealing with Leo diamonds. Three jewelry stores that sell Leo's had three very similar diamonds with prices ranging from 13,000-9,000. So is it the name you're paying for or a better quality diamond?

#12 denverappraiser

denverappraiser

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Appraiser
  • 7,084 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:10 AM

'Better quality' is a tough question. Leos are different, some people like them and they do cost more. By the way, they are not all the same. Some Leos are considerably better than others.

A bit of homework will serve you well:
Read the description in the appraisal that you submitted at the time the policy was bound.
Read your policy.
You're agent should be able to provide you with a copy of both of these documents if you don't have them.

If they wish to replace your lost or damaged item with something else, they are welcome to make whatever offer they want. It doesn't even have to be a diamond, much less a Leo, as long as you agree to it. The key is that they are obligated to replace with something of similar value and that they are unlikely to be willing to spend more than it would cost them to replace with another item of like kind and quality. These are professional shoppers and they really are pretty good at it so really the issue is nailing down exactly what it is that is being shopped for. That's why the description in your original appraisal is important.

All other things being equal, Leo's cost more than most other brands for both the original purchaser and for the insurance company to replace. This is what is known as a 'value characteristic'. You paid for it - they insured it - you lost it - they owe for it. If you are wishing to exchange this value characteristic for another that's fine, you have now entered into a negotiation. Their offer seems to be that you should abandon the Leoness completely with no consideration given in exchange. This strikes me as not really in your best interest.

Once again, I think you are being railroaded.

Figure out what it will cost for them to replace with a genuine Leo of the appropriate specs. Start at the local Leo retailer and simply ask. If they want to make a counteroffer by an alternative vendor, let them, but they must meet or excede the value characteristics in order to comply with the contract. Another round facet design is no more like kind than a heart shape or a marquise. The resultant number, meaning their cost to replace the lost ring with another of like kind and quaity is the value of the loss. If you want to spend your money on something else, that's up to you, not them.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser, 28 March 2007 - 10:17 AM.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

#13 andylynn10

andylynn10

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:20 AM

Well thank you very much for your help. You've given me a lot of information and helped me make an informed decision. I actually took one of the damonds they had to offer, graded by an EGL system, to another jeweler and had it looked at. And I'm glad I did, considering it had an 'occlusion', I think that is what they called it. It looked like a scratch to me. And the jeweler said that because of something like this it sholuldn't have been graded as high and then he compared colors for me with another diamond and mine was not as colorless as they said. So now I know to ask for GIA grade of the diamond. A jeweler that I went to to get an estimate from is who I think I am going to go with. He doesn't have a Leo diamond. But he has a diamond that is better on all the other specs than my first one. He also has his stones graded by the GIA. So thank you very much for all your help and advice. Lucky for me I found this site :) ....thanks so much.

#14 diamond_lover

diamond_lover

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:46 AM

may i ask how many cuts does a Leo diamond have? :)

#15 SirLouie

SirLouie

Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:33 AM

I'm not an expert, but according to numerous websites, the Leo Diamond has 66 facets.

[url="http://www.khulsey.com/jewelry/patented_diamond_cuts.html"]http://www.khulsey.com/jewelry/patented_diamond_cuts.html[/url]

I've been searching but I cannot find the actual patent online. Does anyone know what the number is?
-Shawn

#16 diamond_lover

diamond_lover

Ruby

• 123 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:31 AM

I'm not an expert, but according to numerous websites, the Leo Diamond has 66 facets.

[url="http://www.khulsey.com/jewelry/patented_diamond_cuts.html"]http://www.khulsey.com/jewelry/patented_diamond_cuts.html[/url]

I've been searching but I cannot find the actual patent online. Does anyone know what the number is?
-Shawn

i also heard that leo diamond has 66 facets but isn't sure. is leo diamond good? ;)

#17 leoman

leoman

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:34 PM

i just bought the leo diamond for a ring im planning on giving my gf...absolutely stunning. by far my favorite of diamonds i have seen available for a price that is a lot, but not totally outrageous. i mean a one carat is still like $6400 (i got mine half off so maybe im biased), but i absolutely love it, it fits so well with the ring setting i purchased before the i found my center stone.

the leo diamond is awesome tho...go check it out in the store and see for urself...

#18 diamond_lover

diamond_lover

Ruby

• 123 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:28 AM

i just bought the leo diamond for a ring im planning on giving my gf...absolutely stunning. by far my favorite of diamonds i have seen available for a price that is a lot, but not totally outrageous. i mean a one carat is still like $6400 (i got mine half off so maybe im biased), but i absolutely love it, it fits so well with the ring setting i purchased before the i found my center stone.

the leo diamond is awesome tho...go check it out in the store and see for urself...

any picture to show us? 1 carat leo diamond cost about $6400? US$? what's the clarity and characteristic? B)

#19 leoman

leoman

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:06 AM

any picture to show us? 1 carat leo diamond cost about $6400? US$? what's the clarity and characteristic? B)

i gotta go to work right now until about 130 pacific time...ill try to get a picture on after that if i can find the digital camera...if not then...by tonight for sure.

yea it was 6400 US...ill post everything about it when i post the picture of the ring...

#20 diamond_lover

diamond_lover

Ruby

• 123 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:05 AM

i gotta go to work right now until about 130 pacific time...ill try to get a picture on after that if i can find the digital camera...if not then...by tonight for sure.

yea it was 6400 US...ill post everything about it when i post the picture of the ring...

ok! B)