consumer guidance. we do not sell jewelry.

View New Content      Forum Rules                            New here? Quick site intro

Photo

Visible Black dot in diamond

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rrebekah

rrebekah

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:09 AM

I just noticed that there is a visible black dot in my diamond. I thought it was on the surface--therefore, I could clean it off...but noticed that it is in my diamond. Do you know what it could be? I am going to be taking it back to the jewelrer who sold the ring to my fiance.
Thanks.

#2 Feydakin

Feydakin

Cut Diamond

• A-List Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:13 AM

If it is inside the diamond it is a carbon inclusion most likely and not uncommon at all.. Do you know what the clarity rating for your diamond is?? It may be exactly as sold to your fiance..

How long have you had the ring??

Steve -
Steve
Gear Head - Designer - Bench Jeweler - Artist - Web Developer
AnimalCharms.Net

#3 ben

ben

Cut Diamond

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Physics, gemology, finance, musings.

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:17 AM

Before you take it back to the jeweler, see if the diamond has a GIA or AGS certificate, and if so, refer to the plot of inclusions to determine if the carbon (black spot) is shown.
"Fish and Visitors stink after three days"

#4 rrebekah

rrebekah

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:24 AM

I will pull my certificate tonight and look at the clarity ratings and the inclusion part. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks.

#5 rrebekah

rrebekah

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:31 AM

We only received an appraisal certificate from the jewelrer. He said that the two oval diamonds are approximately G-H VS quality...he did not mention anything else about the plot of inclusions. Should we have had another certificate??

#6 James Allen

James Allen

Emerald

• A-List Jeweler
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:27 AM

rrebekah,

If the jeweler provided you with an appraisal then you may not necessarily have any other documentation (like a lab certificate).

From what you've posted it sounds like he has graded the diamonds as "VS", or "Very Slightly Included" clarity. Diamonds that are VS clarity generally require magnification before you can see the inclusions. It is possible, however, that if you look VERY CLOSELY (especially from the bottom or side) that an inclusion could be seen.

It is also very possible that his grading of "VS" was, let's say liberal. This means that a more strict grading institution (such as the Gemological Institute of America) may have graded the diamond lower.

Is this a new purchase or something you've had for awhile?
Jim Schultz
www.jamesallen.com

#7 denverappraiser

denverappraiser

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Appraiser
  • 6,895 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:28 AM

VS diamonds should not have eye visible inclusions. Go back to the jeweler and ask them to explain. It may be a piece of dirt on the back of the stone or it may be what is known as the 'bowtie' that you are seeing. In any case, the jeweler should be able to explain what you're seeing and to defend the VS grade. If they don't give you a satisfactory answer, seek out an independent appraisal and ask the same questions.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.
Professional Appraisals in Denver

#8 rrebekah

rrebekah

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:35 AM

Thank you all for your replies. This is a new purchase---a little over a month. I never saw this before and I just noticed it a couple of days ago. I hope that it is a piece of dirt or something...because it is quite visible--even from a foot away. We are going to go to the jewelrer this weekend.

#9 brianknox

brianknox

Ruby

• A-List Jeweler
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:28 AM

Hi rrebekah,

Don't get too excited yet.

It is possible that your diamond simply has a film on the back of the diamond which can make a VS type inclusion visible to the eye.

In which cases, a good cleaning can make it "disappear"

This film developing on the back of diamonds is very common as the oils from lotions, shampoos, etc. have an affinity for diamonds and is not easily removed from the back of the diamond.

This film may not even be noticible to you.

Bottom line, withhold judgement until you go to the jeweler and let them clean the ring for you.

#10 James Allen

James Allen

Emerald

• A-List Jeweler
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:37 AM

rrebekah,

So what did the jeweler say?
Jim Schultz
www.jamesallen.com