consumer guidance. we do not sell jewelry.

View New Content      Forum Rules                            New here? Quick site intro

Is it possible for a diamond to chip

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mridloff_*

Guest_mridloff_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:47 AM

My wife recently noticed a chip just the the girdle in her diamond, yet cannot an instant when it was banged. Is it possible for a diamond to chip? If so, is there an industry norm as to how jewelers deal with this?

Thank you very much.

Michael Ridloff
212-479-5769
mridloff@hotmail.com

#2 nightmare

nightmare

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:48 AM

Dear Michael,

Yes it is possible to chip a diamond - though to be honest you usually have to try pretty damn hard. If there is a sufficient blow to chip one my experience is they tend to fracture or shatter....

im afraid that with regards to 'dealing with it' you're looking at getting that specific stone re-cut or replacing with new. Obviously there are several ways to 'repair' the crack, but they are ONLY superficial and cosmetic repairs - they will harm the diamonds value and NOT enhance its beauty

that said - all depends on the damage really....could yuo take a pic?

cheers
Night

#3 denverappraiser

denverappraiser

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Appraiser
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:22 AM

Michael,

I'm sorry to hear your bad news. :D

I see chipped diamonds in my appraisal practice on a regular basis. Diamonds are quite hard but they are brittle. This can especially be a problem with very thin girdls, cuts with points, certain kinds of inclusions and other problems as well as for people with very active lifestyles.

This is usually a covered loss under your insurance policy. If you are covered, contact your insurance agent at once. They will probably send you to an appraiser to determine the extent of the damage. In many cases the stone can be removed from the setting, recut and reset. This will result in some fees for the appraiser, some fees for the jeweler to pull and reset the stone as well as to repair any damaged prongs, and a a diminution of value (the final stone will be worth less than the original). The insurance company should be willing to pay for all of this less your deductible. If this repair process is unacceptable to you, they should be willing to replace the damaged stone with another of ‘like kind and quality’ and the recut stone becomes theirs to do with as they wish.

If you aren’t insured, or choose not to file a claim, the process is pretty much the same but you have to do it yourself. Find an appraiser to assess the damages and recommend an approach. It can be sort of complicated and most jewelry stores don’t have much experience with this sort of thing. When you call for an appointment, ask about their experience with damage reports.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.
Professional Appraisals in Denver

#4 barry

barry

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Jeweler
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Selling Beautiful Diamonds & Jewelery at Exceldiamonds.com

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:53 PM

Neil has given you good advice.

Just a note, RE: Recutting. Very tricky in that the damage can be patched with minimal weight loss (there are patches and there are patches). In the hands of an artist, the overall gestalt of the stone will remain intact. Or if the damage is extensive, major re-work may be necessary with significant weight loss.

If you go this route, get the estimates of weight loss in writing and determine whether you will be obligated to keep the stone if you are not happy with the outcome.

Barry
www.exceldiamonds.com
www.diamondvues.com

@Exceldiamonds on Twitter

Excel Diamonds on Facebook

sales@exceldiamonds.com
1-866-829-8600
1-212-921-0635

#5 jan

jan

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Jeweler
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:52 PM

Yes it is possible to chip a diamond, sometime easily depending on how you hit it. Sometimes you may lose only a few points or maybe none depending on how large the chip is. I had a very large chip on the culet of my stone and lost about .10 ct. after it was recut. On the bright side, the light performance of my stone was better after the recut. :)

Jan
Jan
For those that want to know the truth about diamonds, just ask.

dbof.com