consumer guidance. we do not sell jewelry.

View New Content      Forum Rules                            New here? Quick site intro

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Diamonds: Fake or Real?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 TOWANDA

TOWANDA

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:31 AM

Hi. I was wondering how one can tell the difference between a read diamond and a fake? What are the characteristics one should notice in a real diamond compared to a fake diamond or CZ? For example, with one of my rings, the diamond glows brightly under a black light. When I compared my rings "glowing" to another girl's ring, her diamond barely glowed. What is the explaination for this and is my diamond real?
  • XRumerTest likes this

#2 Rhino

Rhino

Opal

• A-List Member
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Diamonds! Diamonds! Diamonds! Photography, skiing, reading, traveling, and oh ... did I mention diamonds?

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:49 AM

Since the subject matter of this thread was "Fake or Real" and the initial poster asked how to determine "fake from real" diamonds here is a simply little test anyone can perform to help determine if what they are looking at is a real diamond or a CZ.

Step 1.

Take a blank piece of paper and make a dot on it with a pen.

Attached Images

• DSCN8070.JPG

<a href='http://www.goodoldgold.com' target='_blank'>www.goodoldgold.com</a>

#3 Rhino

Rhino

Opal

• A-List Member
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Diamonds! Diamonds! Diamonds! Photography, skiing, reading, traveling, and oh ... did I mention diamonds?

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:51 AM

Step 2.

Take the stone in question and turn it upside down on the paper. We will be positioning the diamond, table down and centered on the dot.

Attached Images

• DSCN8069.JPG

#4 Rhino

Rhino

Opal

• A-List Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 10:04 AM

When you center the gemstone on the dot ...

In a CZ you will see a circular reflection of that dot clearly through the pavilion. The stone on the left is the CZ. The stone on the right is a real diaimond.

A diamond will break up that reflection to the point where it is almost imperceptible. In a CZ it will be very easy to see.

There are other ways of making the distinctions between fakes and real but this is an easy simple test that any laymen can perform.

Peace,

Attached Images

• DSCN8068.JPG

#5 ben

ben

Cut Diamond

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Physics, gemology, finance, musings.

Posted 29 January 2005 - 03:11 PM

Now THAT is a heck of an easy test. Thanks, Rhino, for sharing that wonderful tidbit. I learn so much every time I visit this forum!

Curious if there is a similarly easy test that can be applied to a mounted stone?

I usually recommend the pocket conductivity tester that most jewelers seem to have. It's fairly accurate, and costs nothing.
"Fish and Visitors stink after three days"

#6 Princess Tess

Princess Tess

Sapphire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Any thing that goes &quot;bling bling&quot;

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:02 PM

Oh I love that test! I want to try it on something now! But I don't have any CZ stones. Time to go shopping!!!!

Getting back the fluorescence issue just because, I once went into a jewelery store where the designer puroosely sought out diamonds with varying amounts of fluorescence and created the most beautiful pieces using the fluorescene as the design. The colorations were incredibly subtle but strong enough to notice. I couldn't stop looking at them. What an eye this guy had. :o

Princess Tess
“Passion makes the world go round. Love just makes it a safer place.”
-Ice T, The Ice Opinion

#7 nightmare

nightmare

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:14 AM

typically determining whether a mounted diamond is real or not is much harder than a losse one...but there are a few things you can certainyl do to help 'ease your mind' - though they are NOT exhaustively accurate like rhinos paper test....

1) scratching/scuffing. As we all know diamonds are really quite hard! CZ really isnt..... if you're looking at a ring and can get a loupe or magnifiying glass, have a good look at the facets of the stone (tilt it so that the reflection is compeltely on the surface). CZs of any age will almost definietly show light scratching and scuffing - diamonds are very unlikely to.

2) 'sharp edges' - its possible to cut a diamond much more 'finely' than a CZ - so the edges between the facets will always be very sharp on a diamond. Obviously experience is rather helpful here cos otherwise you dont know what you should be comparing to, but if you have a chnce to look at both together you can clearly see differences

the other tests tend to require toys - like heat and electrical conductivity......

Oh, and another great test for an unmounted CZ/diamond is weight. same size CZ will be nearly twice the weight of a diamond. having the expected weight of say .25, .5, .75 and 1 ct in your head makes that a nice easy thing to work out!

cheers
Night

#8 Rhino

Rhino

Opal

• A-List Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:56 AM

Excellent input nightmare. Here are some graphics that demonstrate your point.

This first graphic is in reference to the scuffs/scratches. CZ's do scratch pretty easily. This is a stone that's been around a bit. In this graphic you can easily make out scuffs/abrasions at the facet junctions as well as scratches on the table.

Attached Images

• DSCN8105.JPG

#9 Rhino

Rhino

Opal

• A-List Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:00 AM

Here's the facet pointing nightmare was talking about.'

CZ's are generally cut pretty sloppy when it comes to symmetry characteristics. Here is a cz alongside an AGS ideal cut to demonstrate the differences nightmare was bringing out.

Barry... that is a very good article. Thanks for posting it. Are we allowed to reference and link educational material in these posts? It was my understanding that there are no exceptions.

Peace,
Rhino

Attached Images

• czpoints.jpg

#10 nightmare

nightmare

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 02:39 AM

Rhino - thanks v much for adding those extremely clear pictures - compeltely clarifies what I was trying to say!

#11 Rhino

Rhino

Opal

• A-List Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 01:31 PM

My pleasure nightmare.

#12 vypoon

vypoon

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:43 PM

My pleasure nightmare.

Hi, I am curious about the Asha diamonds. Can you tell me the difference between a Asha CZ and a typical CZ and a real diamond? Thanks

#13 icebreaker

icebreaker

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:52 AM

I find this rather useful when looking at loose diamonds.
Never look at a loose diamond on a white jewelers'
tray. Always look at it on a piece of newspaper or
printed material. If the diamond is real, you won't be
able to read the newsprint through the facets; if the
diamond is fake, it's just like looking through, well,
glass.

#14 atlchick

atlchick

Bronze

• PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:56 PM

also, in light, a cz is very white.

#15 andrea_J_02

andrea_J_02

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:08 AM

Back to the first post...what about under blacklights!??!?!

#16 denverappraiser

denverappraiser

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Appraiser
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:00 AM

Ultraviolet lights are not a good test to decide if something is a diamond. CZ's, and most of the other popular simulants, are inert to UV light unless something has been deliberately added to the formula to cause it to fluoresce but most diamonds are also inert. If it doesn't glow under UV, it might be a diamond. If it does glow, it still might be a diamond.

Neil
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.
Professional Appraisals in Denver

#17 dstrawn

dstrawn

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:49 PM

The dot test worked good. But how about on an emerald cut stone?

#18 Deedia

Deedia

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:42 AM

Hi, i'm a new member here. i found all the tests very interesting and helpful. i have heard about the fogging test which is very quick and easy and which can be performed on mounted diamonds. wanted to know how acccurate this test is . here are details:

Put the rock in front of your mouth and fog it like you would try to fog a mirror. If it stays fogged for 2-4 seconds, it’s a fake. A real diamond disperses the heat instantaneously so by the time you look at it, it has already cleared up.

#19 curlyluvsuuu

curlyluvsuuu

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:18 PM

My pleasure nightmare.

Hi Rhino, I have a question. What if the rock is actually mounted then is there another typr of test which could be done at home?

#20 shredder

shredder

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:11 PM

rhino , you rule my friend ;)