consumer guidance. we do not sell jewelry.

View New Content      Forum Rules                            New here? Quick site intro

Photo

Diamond vs. Tanzanite

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mike31s

mike31s

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 01:42 PM

I would like to buy my girl a rock and want to know which one is more valuable because I heard from somwhere that a tanzanite could be worth more than a diamond. Is this true?

#2 TheRock

TheRock

Ruby

• A-List Jeweler
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:39 AM

I suppose it's all a matter of what you will pay and what quality a diamond is but the general rule is no. In my experience, tanzanite is less expensive than diamond.
www.UnionDiamond.com
"Your trusted online diamond source"

#3 jan

jan

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Jeweler
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 09:59 AM

Tanzanite is definitely less costly than diamond per carat. Also it is a softer gemstone so be very careful with it if you set it in a ring. Diamonds hold up much better in rings than Tanzanite. They are a great look for a fashion ring though.

Jan
www.dbof.com
Jan
For those that want to know the truth about diamonds, just ask.

dbof.com

#4 nightmare

nightmare

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:26 AM

not entirely true now Jan...what the Rock says is spot on...all depends on what quality diamond / tanzanite you buy. There is no doubt that a top of the line diamond is going to be more costly, but around normal sizes and resonable clarity and colour they're much closer....decent tanzanite over 2ct can easily be over $1000 a carat now.....

would also suggest being careful if it's for a ring (though its the same hardness as emerald and that obviously is still very popular).....but is a stunning and beautiful coloured stone

#5 jan

jan

Ideal Diamond

• A-List Jeweler
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 01:50 PM

O.K. but if you can find me a 2.00 ct. diamond of quality for anywhere near $1000 a carat I'll change my mind. :o

Jan
www.dbof.com
Jan
For those that want to know the truth about diamonds, just ask.

dbof.com

#6 nightmare

nightmare

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:15 AM

hahaha - good point!

suppose that it's probably fair to say that at small sizes tanzanite is now akin to ruby, sapphire and emerald in value....like those three once you get to large sizes they can be significantly more costly than diamond due to rarity.....